Wiki Posts
Search

Hertz .vs. Avis: $800 difference??

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2016, 3:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hertz, Avis, JetBlue, Lufthansa
Hertz .vs. Avis: $800 difference??

I have both Hertz Gold Club and Avis preferred thru AMEX platinum.
For an upcoming trip to California I wanted to drive a Mustang, and so booked the Class W ("exact car") with Hertz. The 10-day cost was $1074.

After reading the stories about the myth of "exact car" I thought to try Avis for something similar. Their specialty class, which includes the Mustang but isn't guaranteeing anything, was $296 for the same 10-day period.

Can anyone explain such a difference?? Note both reservations are the same: pickup LAX dropoff SFO and for the same dates.

What am I missing here? I'd love to drive a mustang in Cali, but not if I'm being ripped off like that. And from what I've read the chances of actually getting that car are slim.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 7:27 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles - Platinum; Hertz - President's Circle; Expedia - Gold
A lot depends on your country of residence: specialty cars are often priced much higher for foreigners, than for Americans, while one-ways on standard cars are better for foreigners. Taxes and fees can also be included or not.

Neither your profile nor your message hint at your residence status.

In any case, be prepared to settle for a Camaro (also a fine ride), but then you'll have to strap your luggage on the back seat when the roof is open.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Firstboss
A lot depends on your country of residence: specialty cars are often priced much higher for foreigners, than for Americans, while one-ways on standard cars are better for foreigners. Taxes and fees can also be included or not.

Neither your profile nor your message hint at your residence status.

In any case, be prepared to settle for a Camaro (also a fine ride), but then you'll have to strap your luggage on the back seat when the roof is open.

I'm a US citizen (well I'm from NYC...I think that still qualifies...) and Hertz certainly knows this because they have my info on file. So does Avis. I'm just thinking something's not right here that Avis should be SO much cheaper.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to FlyerTalk, alocksley.

Multiple possible reasons for the difference:

1. It probably costs a lot more to guarantee an exact car than to guarantee just a car category (which may even be "stretched" in case they upgrade you to a different car category). So IMHO you're comparing apples to oranges? Does Hertz not have a category option? If so, compare the category option at Hertz to the category option at Avis, not just the exact-car option at Hertz to the category option at Avis.

2. The cost of a one-way rental is determined by how much they need the car where you're taking it from and how much (or how little) they need the car where you're dropping it off. When you rent just a category, they can give you whichever car in that category they think they can live without at LAX or that SFO could use. When you rent a specific car, especially if that specific car is way more popular around sunny LAX than around foggy SFO, they essentially are charging you for dragging that car off to somewhere where there's much less demand for it.

But even if you were comparing category rental to category rental, one company might have more need of cars at SFO than the other, and that company might discount one-ways to SFO for that reason.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Welcome to FlyerTalk, alocksley.

Multiple possible reasons for the difference:

1. It probably costs a lot more to guarantee an exact car than to guarantee just a car category (which may even be "stretched" in case they upgrade you to a different car category). So IMHO you're comparing apples to oranges? Does Hertz not have a category option? If so, compare the category option at Hertz to the category option at Avis, not just the exact-car option at Hertz to the category option at Avis.

2. The cost of a one-way rental is determined by how much they need the car where you're taking it from and how much (or how little) they need the car where you're dropping it off. When you rent just a category, they can give you whichever car in that category they think they can live without at LAX or that SFO could use. When you rent a specific car, especially if that specific car is way more popular around sunny LAX than around foggy SFO, they essentially are charging you for dragging that car off to somewhere where there's much less demand for it.

But even if you were comparing category rental to category rental, one company might have more need of cars at SFO than the other, and that company might discount one-ways to SFO for that reason.
All Good points.

The suggestion that origin and destination matter is certainly true. In fact the Hertz cost for SFO to LAX on group W (the Mustang) was $250 even more expensive than the way we're going, which suggests they need them more in foggy SFO than in LA.

What surprises me is that even the category non "exact" rates from Hertz are hundreds more than Avis. A corolla is $650 for the same time period.

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is whether Avis can in fact rent me a POS for the price quoted, saying they have nothing else even though I have a reservation. There just seems something fishy about this, and I can't figure out what it is...
Old Jun 29, 2016, 6:55 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles - Platinum; Hertz - President's Circle; Expedia - Gold
I've checked myself your scenario LAX->SFO on 7/13-7/23 on Avis website.
The one-way rates are amazingly low (there is nothing remotely one-way about the quoted prices).
You should book that pre-paid rate, imho. Even better with the AWD K817600 (British Airways frequent Flyer)
Old Jun 29, 2016, 8:09 am

seasonally, those S->N or N->S (for winter) moves can even be free. But of course, never for the exact category. You might want to check National's Executive Emerald Club (also free with AMEX Plat); picking from Executive Aisle may be better than hertz or avis
Old Jun 30, 2016, 3:43 am
Original Poster

It's a tough call: Give up the mustang fantasy and save $800 or use Hertz coupons, and only waste $400.

Course I could go to Hertz and if the actually have the 'stang then rent it, and if not, call them liars and walk down the road to Avis.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 4:01 am

As mentioned, these things happen for various reasons.

Also agreed that chances are pretty high you'll be initially offered a Camaro if renting from Avis. Seems to be their go-to car in that category.

At the same time, I found the lot at Avis LAX to be helpful on multiple occasions where I wanted / needed a particular vehicle. They have a habit of not assigning cars for Preferred customers, so you will have a chance to talk to an agent at the counter anyway. They have lots of inventory coming through, and if you're nice enough and offer to wait, I'd say you have an excellent chance of driving off with a Mustang. If all fails, call a couple of Avis stations along your route and ask them if they have a Mustang they're willing to trade you for your Camaro.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 8:16 pm

Quoted prices are based on demand and car availability... but the car you'll want to reserve if you go with Avis is a "Standard Sports Car" (Mustang, Camaro, Miata, or Similar). I'm renting a car in Louisville at SDF Airport at the end of next week and after adding SiriusXM Radio I got quoted a decent price online.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.