Wiki Posts
Search

best one-way car rental discount codes

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2011, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

best one-way car rental discount codes

Is there anything more annoying than trying to get a decent rate on a one-way car rental? Well, in the travel world, probably not. I usually need one-way rentals a few times a year and, most times, I wind up spending more time than I'd like trolling the web for discount codes that might unlock the secret to an affordable rental.

Some of the flyertalk car rental threads including codes that work for one-way rentals, but they're buried in more general discussions. And, frankly, when it comes to a one-way rental, you're probably not going to be brand loyal: you just want to use the company that will give you the best deal.

So, if others are interested, I thought I'd start this compilation of the best one-way car rental codes. Some of them are clearly public codes, and some are more questionable (but can result in great savings). Also, watch for any mileage charges. When using these codes, your mileage may vary. Literally.

I'll start, and if there's sufficient interest, I'll try to periodically update this post as a summary. Happy hunting.

ONE WAY CODES THAT HAVE WORKED:

AVIS

A686200 (Priceline code)
A972200 (Farmers)
A074800 (Citi leisure travel)
G930700 (IBM)

BUDGET

W852800 (Costco)

HERTZ

1757580 (Car & Driver readers)

NATIONAL

Warning: National is now more stringently checking qualifications to use these codes. You may be questioned at the counter. See post # 129 for more information.

[CODES REMOVED BECAUSE NATIONAL'S LAWYERS HAVE DEMANDED THEY BE REMOVED]

THRIFTY

004M001010 (Orlando Magiccard corporate discount -- works elsewhere On Dollar site, it's oi1054)

Last edited by iahphx; Dec 17, 2015 at 10:11 pm Reason: update
Old May 13, 2011, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Thanks for this link. I also noted the same problem as you.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I'm a bit surprised this thread hasn't generated more interest. Heck, I keep consulting it myself when I need to make one-way car rentals reservations for myself and friends/family.

I've got another Hertz number to add: 1813168. Reportedly Car & Truck magazine (never heard of it). It can get you a lower base rate than the Car & Driver number above, but watch for potential per mile charges.

And I'd love to see folks add their own discounts. Having all the one-way codes in one place certainly makes it easier for me. Thanks.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 11:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I had to do a 1-way car rental recently (still cost me $306 ) & Budget gave me the Costco rate saying it was the best.

Cheers.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Does anyone have any codes to add? I can't believe I'm the only one who finds it useful to have this info in one place.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 4:34 am

Look out for offers in the fall to drive rental cars to Florida.

A few years ago I wanted to visit SC on short notice (I live in NJ) and I found flights were over $400. I got a rental for the weekend for $50 total from PHL, with the condition that I had to drive it to Florida. I found a flight from JAX-EWR for less than $100 one way. So I drove to SC, then dropped off the car in JAX. That saved me a lot of money, I had a car in South Carolina, and didn't need to make the long drive back to NJ. Saved over $200 if I would have flown EWR-CHS round trip and rented a car at CHS.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 4:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by iahphx
Does anyone have any codes to add? I can't believe I'm the only one who finds it useful to have this info in one place.
This has been very helpful to me!! I was using the National code 5026639 which is for TDB Publications.

I tried the other National one you had posted and the Big 10 one beat mine by $50.00!!!

What is your experience with id checks for the Big 10 code?
Old Dec 16, 2011, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by syndney
This has been very helpful to me!! I was using the National code 5026639 which is for TDB Publications.

I tried the other National one you had posted and the Big 10 one beat mine by $50.00!!!

What is your experience with id checks for the Big 10 code?
The Big Ten code is truly fantastic for one-way rentals. I've used it seven or eight times without trouble; I do try to Emerald Aisle it, but I have also used it at the counter. I've never been asked for ID. It seems to be a negotiated rate for Big Ten schools. Ohio State says it can be used by "faculty and staff, including immediate family (spouse and children residing in the same household), retirees and their spouses, on university business and personal rentals." So if you say your spouse is an Ohio state employee or retiree, what ID would you have? I wish it didn't include the insurance, though, just in case.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 9:18 pm

I figured I would use the Emerald Aisle to be safe! Heck, I'm an Ohio State Alumnus. Close enough huh?

So you can't decline the insurance on this?
Old Dec 17, 2011, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by syndney
I figured I would use the Emerald Aisle to be safe! Heck, I'm an Ohio State Alumnus. Close enough huh?

So you can't decline the insurance on this?
Darn that's close: bring an alumni card if you have one, I guess.

I don't really know how you decline insurance on one of these rates. I really prefer when it's not included.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 12:06 pm

Thank you for posting these one way codes. The Big 10 rate was the best deal. I don't have an ID card so I hope it works! Thanks again!
Old Feb 16, 2012, 12:24 pm

FWIW....I was never asked for ID. Did not use the emerald aisle and had no issues.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 9:36 pm

Thank you OP! Trying the Big 10 code soon as well. Will report back with results.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 5:16 pm

No problems what-so-ever with Big 10 Code, even using a location with Emerald Booth service. Very pleased. Thanks again OP for the code. ^
Old Mar 12, 2012, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by phoenixstar
No problems what-so-ever with Big 10 Code, even using a location with Emerald Booth service. Very pleased. Thanks again OP for the code. ^
Glad it worked for you. That rate is often a great solution to a one-way rental rate "problem." I used it last month in Louisiana where the alternative was about $60 more per day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.