Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Religious Travelers
Reload this Page >

Kosher/Shabbos in ... New York!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kosher/Shabbos in ... New York!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2015, 3:46 am

KAJ is a good MO Ashkenazi kehilla. If you want Sephardi service, you can go to either Safra Synagogue on E 63rd or Sephardi miniyan mid E70s between1st and 2nd Ave. Even better yet Shearith Israel on Central Park West & 70th (the oldest congregation in NY).

Not sure if they still do it but there used to be walking tours of Lower East Side (though admittedly the whole area seems to be overtaken by the Chinese community these days). Tenement museum is there. You also have Ellis Island (assume it’s open by now). Not strictly Jewish but you also have Neue Galerie with German-Austrian modern art collection funded by the Lauder family.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 5:43 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Regarding the donation aspect, both the Met and Museum of Natural History allow you to visit without paying at all. You just say you don't want to make a donation
I believe that the technical rule is that they CAN require you to make a donation, but they CAN'T set a minimum donation. So, if they wanted to stick to their guns, they could say "you can pay $0.01, but you have to pay something."
Old Jun 17, 2015, 5:47 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
As for Synagogues, you could also go to Temple Emanu-El on 65th and 5th, if you're looking for a Reform congregation. It's huge (I think it's the largest in the world, by some definitions), been around since the mid-19th century. Friend who belongs to the congregation describes it as the home of "Episcopal Judaism."
Old Jun 30, 2015, 1:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
At the Met Museum you can just go to the information desk and tell them you're sabbath observant and they will give you a ticket.

I didn't know about the Natural History Museum.

Other suggestions for kosher restaurants:
-- Persian food at Colbeh on 39th street
-- Uzbek/Bukharan food at Taam Tov on 47th Street between 5th and 6th Ave
-- steak at Le Marais on 46th or 47th st (can't remember which) between 6th and 7th Ave -- better and cheaper than Prime Grill
Old Jun 30, 2015, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Warning about Le Marais: they cook EVERYTHING with peanut oil (including white rice and lettuce salads)!
Old Jun 30, 2015, 3:28 pm

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
We found Le Marais quite good, but Mike's Bistro is far more interesting, food-wise, and I found that the meat was way better at Reserve Cut, if all you are interested in is meat.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
As for Synagogues, you could also go to Temple Emanu-El on 65th and 5th, if you're looking for a Reform congregation. It's huge (I think it's the largest in the world, by some definitions), been around since the mid-19th century. Friend who belongs to the congregation describes it as the home of "Episcopal Judaism."
Except for the High Holidays, you can always find a seat (according to the Rabbi).

dh
Old Jul 2, 2015, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by elal767

I'll be staying in an appartment on Park Ave/East 88th. Any shuls nearby?
Just in case you're Masorti (Conservative) Park Ave Synagogue is on Madison Ave and East 87/88 street.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.