Community
Wiki Posts
Search

closest shul/community to EWR?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2010, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

closest shul/community to EWR?

Any suggestions for a community to spend a shabbat near EWR? Preferably MO, sephardi miniyan even better. How far is Englewood/Teaneck and how can I get there (not planning to hire a car)? Need to be max 30min door-to-door from EWR Hilton.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 10:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by W9London
Any suggestions for a community to spend a shabbat near EWR? Preferably MO, sephardi miniyan even better. How far is Englewood/Teaneck and how can I get there (not planning to hire a car)? Need to be max 30min door-to-door from EWR Hilton.

http://godaven.com/searchcity.asp

Elizabeth,NJ dont know if Id walk there from the Hilton although the JEC Adath Israel/ North Ave is the closet and maybe a 1/2 hr walk+

you walk out of the Hilton make a Right and walk till after the Local and Express lanes of Route 1&9 merge, make a Right and walk till you see it on your Right side a block long building, MO . if driving max 10 min ( that Intersection where the L & E lanes merge is North Ave) closet Hotel is The Renaissance or Crowne Plaza on the East side of the hway

call the tel# listed on the link and could be they can set you up for meals and/or sleeping as well. Click on the Shuls website and under Our Community theres a page Spend a Shabbos http://www.adathisraelshul.org/our-c...y/shabbat.html
Old Jan 20, 2010, 2:42 am

Programs: AA Platinum, LY Matmid
If you want to walk, forget about Teaneck or Englewood. It is about 30 minutes by car.

A taxi costs about $50. There are no hotels in Teaneck. The closest is the Glenpointe, but it is not close to anything Jewish

The previous idea of Elizabeth sounds the best
Old Jan 21, 2010, 8:43 am

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
I grew up in the area and lived in Elizabeth after getting married.
You have a few choices for a few different communities.
Two closest options with best for the money hotels are Elizabeth and Linden.

You can of course try the JEC in Elizabeth, and you want to stay as close to Elmore Avenue as possible. (near the corner of Elmora and West Jersey St is the best kosher Chinese in AMerica in my humble opinion, as well as great stores, pizza, bakery, etc.).

Another option, about 10 miles from the airport is Linden New Jersey, Congregation Anshe Chesed. Easy to find on the internet, there are are some cheaper hotels, and if you stay on Rte 1, the same 1 mile walk, except sidewalks the whole way. (Deli King on St. George Ave. is not shomer shabbos)

BTW, the walk to JEC from Airport area is not the best walk to take. Highway, and the worst forms of sidewalk corner businesses - pharmacutecal and physical therapy. ahem.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 10:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Have you seen this?

http://www.americansephardifederatio...agogues_US.asp

It's quite a comprehensive list, including several communities in NJ.

One such synagogue is:

Sephardic Congregation of Fort Lee 201-944-7560
Congregation Ohel Shalom
313 Tom Hunter Rd
Fort Lee, NJ 07024
Rabbi Simon Abergel 201-944-4758

It's in Fort Lee (only about a half hour drive from EWR) seems very close to the Hilton or Doubletree (can't work out which brand it is) in Fort Lee. See directions here.

(Disclaimer: I have no personal experience with either this synagogue or hotel!)

Another thought: have you thought of something in Manhattan? With luck with the NJT/Amtrak train schedule, or a taxi at the appropriate time, you're not much more than half an hour from midtown to EWR...
Old Jan 21, 2010, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
Originally Posted by salut0

One such synagogue is:

Sephardic Congregation of Fort Lee 201-944-7560
Congregation Ohel Shalom
313 Tom Hunter Rd
Fort Lee, NJ 07024
Rabbi Simon Abergel 201-944-4758

It's in Fort Lee
(Disclaimer: I have no personal experience with either this synagogue or hotel!)

On a Friday afternoon it can easily take well over an hour for that 20 mile drive to Teaneck, Englewood or Fort Lee. You are going from Newark in the direction of the George Washington Bridge. Friday evening rush hour starts around 2 in this area.

The JEC in Elizabeth referred to by Craz and me is less than a 2.5 miles walk from the hotel the OP mentioned.

Why would you give such terrible advice if you yourself say you have no personal experience, right after posts from from two people who know the area, one of which grew up there?
Old Jan 21, 2010, 6:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Thumper
On a Friday afternoon it can easily take well over an hour for that 20 mile drive to Teaneck, Englewood or Fort Lee. You are going from Newark in the direction of the George Washington Bridge. Friday evening rush hour starts around 2 in this area.

The JEC in Elizabeth referred to by Craz and me is less than a 2.5 miles walk from the hotel the OP mentioned.

Why would you give such terrible advice if you yourself say you have no personal experience, right after posts from from two people who know the area, one of which grew up there?
Never knew about the Linden shul

theres a Hampton Inn on 1/9 that is 1.8 miles from the shul, and its just under 6 miles to EWR link: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=1000 Orchard Terr. ,Linden,NJ,USA(Anshe Chesed)

that HI also has a EWR shuttle

the unknown is if the OP Must stay at the Hilton, might be they have a flight out Right after Shabbos ends. If not then Liz or Linden is good or simply pony up the $$ or pts and stay in Manhatten. But Im sure Liz or Linden would be a better bet to have either Shabbos meals taken care of with a local family and/or sleeping as well if the OP is willing, doubt that can be arranged as easily in Man
Old Jan 22, 2010, 11:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by Thumper

I suggested the synagogue because the OP specifically wanted a Sephardic suggestion, and I didn't think anyone had mentioned one yet.

Not living in NJ, I didn't know the full story. Obviously, I was trying to be helpful. I don't drive in that neighborhood, though I have taken the train many times on the NEC and driven near the GW bridge as well.

Perhaps you can cut me some slack and just chalk this down to an attempt to be helpful, albeit a slightly misguided one? I'm sure the OP is intelligent enough to make their own decisions about whose advice to follow (or not) in this situation. It's good that you clarified matters, but it'd be more pleasant if you were less confrontational.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 12:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by salut0
I suggested the synagogue because the OP specifically wanted a Sephardic suggestion, and I didn't think anyone had mentioned one yet.

Not living in NJ, I didn't know the full story. Obviously, I was trying to be helpful. I don't drive in that neighborhood, though I have taken the train many times on the NEC and driven near the GW bridge as well.

Perhaps you can cut me some slack and just chalk this down to an attempt to be helpful, albeit a slightly misguided one? I'm sure the OP is intelligent enough to make their own decisions about whose advice to follow (or not) in this situation. It's good that you clarified matters, but it'd be more pleasant if you were less confrontational.
this is great PM material rather then a post material

Maybe all 3 of us can edit it out and the 2 of you carry on the conversation via PMs

I do agree with You and think supplying the info about the closest Sefardi Shul was proper, and let the OP decide in the end what they think is the best way to do things. Ours is simply to inform the OP of what their options are

As for driving North on a Fri, I do it via NJT towards the GW onto the Palisades in order to get to Monsey and usually it takes me 75 mins or less. lately Ive detoured onto the I-80 and then Route 17 as the traffic is bad, but never near 2 hrs

that said I agree with thumper that the OP would probably be better off not heading up there and instead staying in Liz or Linden. But since the OP never explained all their reasons for wanting to stay at the Hilton at EWR. I will not rule out 1 place over another due to lack of enough info

and on that note let me get going since Im heading South in NJ today and need to get a movin its getting late. If you guys decide to PM and Edit things PLEASE let me know so that I can do so as well
Old Feb 23, 2010, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
I don't think there's anything walkable from EWR. I happened to have gone to school at JEC in Elizabeth; it's about a 15 minute drive from EWR. I'd recommend looking into staying in the community for shabbat, if possible. If that's seems workable for you, PM me, and I'd be happy to work things out for you.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 2:06 pm

for now i just need to duven minch and im located at quentin rd st and e 36 i brooklyn ny so where is the closest shul to me/
Old Apr 29, 2015, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by Goal Jaff
for now i just need to duven minch and im located at quentin rd st and e 36 i brooklyn ny so where is the closest shul to me/
Old Apr 30, 2015, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Goal Jaff
Try searching godaven.com, or just go outside and shout, "minche!"

Just note that Brooklyn isn't near EWR (relatively)

Welcome to FT!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.