Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Radisson International | Radisson Rewards
Reload this Page >

170 People Held Hostage at Radisson Blu Hotel, Bamako in Mali

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2015, 3:41 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

This message appears on the official Internet web site of the Radisson Blu Hotel, Bamako in Mali:
THE REZIDOR HOTEL GROUP, OPERATOR OF THE RADISSON BLU HOTEL BAMAKO / MALI, IS AWARE OF THE HOSTAGE-TAKING THAT IS ONGOING AT THE PROPERTY TODAY, 20TH NOVEMBER 2015. AS PER OUR INFORMATION, TWO PERSONS HAVE LOCKED IN 140 GUESTS AND 30 EMPLOYEES. OUR SAFETY & SECURITY TEAMS AND OUR CORPORATE TEAM ARE IN CONSTANT CONTACT WITH THE LOCAL AUTHORITIES IN ORDER TO OFFER ANY SUPPORT POSSIBLE TO RE-INSTATE SAFETY AND SECURITY AT THE HOTEL. AT THIS POINT, WE DO NOT HAVE FURTHER INFORMATION AND CONTINUE TO CLOSELY MONITOR THE SITUATION.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 6:01 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
That can't be serious. Usually people are thankful to just survive and escape without a serious physical injury.

Sadly, Mali has been unstable for quite some time with the extremist MLF and other hybrid gang-tribal groups messing up the place and being used for extortion and even destroying competitor's businesses.. This was probably not even the first hotel attack in the country this year, but this is certainly the most high profile one.

Often there are French and American military asset on the ground in the country, so maybe the Mali government will be asking for assistance yet again so that this ends as best it can.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 7:19 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

I'm shocked and saddened by this attack, and my thoughts are with the victims and their families.

I have deleted an inappropriate post (as well as several more commenting on that post), and I'm asking our members to use a modicum of restraint in reacting to this tragedy.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 9:12 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Special forces stormed the hotel and the hostages are free. Three deaths.

Details from CNN.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World

Details from CNN.
At least 18 dead now
Old Nov 20, 2015, 9:40 am
Community Director Emerita

Copied from an Omni/PR post by Sjoerd:

Eighteen bodies have been recovered from the hotel attack in Bamako, Mali, a foreign security source told AFP news agency.

It also reports that Mali's security minister has said the gunmen are "no longer holding any hostages".

Here are the details on people who have been reported to have escaped the hotel attack so far:

Seven Algerians, reports AFP news agency
Six Americans, according to AP news agency
Five Turkish Airlines personnel, according to AP
12 Air France crew members
Two Russians, reports Russian news site Life
One Ivorian according to AP
Four Chinese, reports China state TV

There were also 20 Indians who were staying at a complex slightly separate from the main building who have all been reported as safe.

The situation is changing very quickly so these figures may be updated very soon.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 10:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World

Details from CNN.
US and French special forces involved. And the death count is certainly higher than 3.

This hotel is the only major international brand hotel, one where I've had people stay, in this city.

Originally Posted by Rezidor
I want to express my deep personal concern for all of the guests and employees affected by the terrible events which are happening today at the Radisson Blu Bamako Hotel in Mali.

I speak on behalf of the entire Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group in extending our deep sympathy to the families, colleagues and friends of all those touched by today’s events.

At this point, we are monitoring developments locally and are in close contact with the authorities, as well as offering them all possible support.

The safety and security of our guests and employees is our top priority.

We have set up a direct telephone support line for families of guests and employees to give them maximum support.

We will continue to share updates on any new developments as soon as we have official confirmation.

Wolfgang M. Neumann
President & CEO
The Rezidor Hotel Group

Important Telephone Numbers:

Family information line: 0 800 940 164 (toll free in France) + 33170837437 (international)

Media information: +33 1 56 03 12 74

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 20, 2015 at 11:06 am
Old Nov 20, 2015, 11:55 am

Looks like the final body count is 27 hostages.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 11:57 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
US and French special forces involved. And the death count is certainly higher than 3.

This hotel is the only major international brand hotel, one where I've had people stay, in this city.
I've stayed at the Kempinski. I don't think the Radisson existed when I was in Bamako.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 11:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by You want to go where?
I've stayed at the Kempinski. I don't think the Radisson existed when I was in Bamako.
Kempinski only other one? Is that even still there or a dropped flag?
Old Nov 20, 2015, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Kempinski only other one? Is that even still there or a dropped flag?
It showed up on Their website. I had wondered whether it was a dropped flag (in fact, I thought I had checked a couple of years ago and didn't find it). Maybe it was dropped and picked back up. The current one is the same one that I stayed in 7 or 8 years ago.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by You want to go where?
It showed up on Their website. I had wondered whether it was a dropped flag (in fact, I thought I had checked a couple of years ago and didn't find it). Maybe it was dropped and picked back up. The current one is the same one that I stayed in 7 or 8 years ago.
The Kempinski El Farouk left that chain a few years ago. It became a Laico Hotel, part of the Libyan chain. It's no longer listed on Laico's website, I'm not sure if it closed or is operating independently. There are no TripAdvisor reviews since 2014.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by James Luckard
The Kempinski El Farouk left that chain a few years ago. It became a Laico Hotel, part of the Libyan chain. It's no longer listed on Laico's website, I'm not sure if it closed or is operating independently. There are no TripAdvisor reviews since 2014.
Thanks. I don't know what site I ended up at which showed it as an existing Kempinski hotel. I checked again and don't see it there now.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 10:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by James Luckard
In 2004 a Sofitel opened up in this city and was there for at least a couple of years, but I don't know if it's still around. Air France crew seem to use Sofitel over Radisson when both choices exist, but this time around AF crew were at the Radisson.

Sofitel property here was another dropped flag, right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.