Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Radisson International | Radisson Rewards
Reload this Page >

Review: Radisson Hotel Reagan National Airport, Arlington (Crystal City), VA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2012, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond

I stayed here for the Big Night Giveaway on Friday, 6/1/12. Weekend rates at this hotel are very favorable as I paid $90 for a king room and could have paid $80 for a room with two double beds. This is a very pleasant, serviceable property along Jefferson Davis Highway across the Potomac from DC and about a mile from Reagan National Airport. The Radisson shares a shuttle to the airport with the Hampton Inn next door, which I assume is under the same ownership umbrella. There were many airline passengers who were staying here. Parking is $20 per night. There is a restaurant and small bar right off the lobby, but I did not eat here.

In my limited interactions, the staff was polite and efficient. Quick check in with a brief explanation of the hotel's facilities. The room was pleasant if standard--decent size with the standard work desk and lounge chair. You've seen the same room across a number of different hotel chains in the past several years, I'm sure. Flat screen TV but not high-def cable, Sleep Number bed (after my experience with a great night's rest, maybe I'll visit one of their stores), and a view of the mid-rise buildings across the road that make up the Crystal City area. The elevators are extremely small--among the smallest I've ever seen in a hotel in the US and indicative of the age of the property, which I assume was probably built in the 1950s or 60s. I've been through this area a lot over the years, but I cannot remember what this hotel was before becoming a Radisson. The property is certainly clean and well kept but in no way luxurious.

There is a plus to the location. Although Jefferson Davis Highway is a mess to cross (use the nearby pedestrian tunnels instead), around the corner from the hotel is a little restaurant row area with several Italian restaurants, sports bars, and other places. Nothing special, sort of like the hotel, but good, reasonably priced places that don't require the use of a car. If you use the pedestrian tunnel or bravely cross above ground, there are restaurants like Morton's, McCormick & Schmick's, Ruth's Chris, and Ted's Montana Grill as well as a Virginia outpost for Jose Andres, Jaleo, and several breakfast/lunch spots, like Starbuck's, Cosi, Potbelly Sandwich Works, Jersey Mike's, and Subway. And Old Town Alexandria and DC are not a long drive away. There's also a nearby Metro stop.

I stayed here last December for the first Big Night promo. I had no problems staying here again, and I'll probably make this hotel a regular stop on my travels to DC when I don't need to stay directly in the city. I'd certainly be willing to pay up to $120 for a weekend night or $200 during the week (knowing the going rates in the area), but not a property on which I'd use the going rate of 44K CC points for a redemption.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 6:35 pm

Programs: lots of little things
Great idea to highlight the local food options, there really are an great number of choices even within walking distance. The $20 parking can be avoided by parking on the metered street behind the hotel, which was free on the weekend after a certain time Friday night.

I stayed here for the last Big Night promo and will be staying again for this round. Like you said, it's a very serviceable hotel and the low weekend rates are a very solid deal.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 12:53 pm

I'm not sure when it changed flags, but this Radisson used to be a Days Inn.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 1:02 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Nice review. For last year's Big Night Giveaway I stayed at the other DC-area Radisson in Largo, MD. It was about $70 including taxes and included free parking and a free breakfast due to the requested king bed not being available. The place was a little run-down but the staff was pleasant and the room was clean.

This time I couldn't find a great price like that at any Radisson or Country Inn at a time that worked for me. The $20 parking fee at the Reagan Airport Radisson you mentioned just pushes the price up too high for me, even on a good rate.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 1:23 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by lwildernorva
If you use the pedestrian tunnel or bravely cross above ground, there are restaurants like Morton's, McCormick & Schmick's, Ruth's Chris, and Ted's Montana Grill as well as a Virginia outpost for Jose Andres, Jaleo, and several breakfast/lunch spots, like Starbuck's, Cosi, Potbelly Sandwich Works, Jersey Mike's, and Subway.
In the shopping area just off the Crystal City Metro station (I enter via the Metro stairs), there's also King Street Blues which was recommended to me long ago by an FTer that lives a few blocks from there. Always try to get one meal in there when I'm back. Mixed review on Yelp but I've always had good service and food there.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/king-street-blues-arlington-2
Old Jun 6, 2012, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
Nice review. For last year's Big Night Giveaway I stayed at the other DC-area Radisson in Largo, MD. It was about $70 including taxes and included free parking and a free breakfast due to the requested king bed not being available. The place was a little run-down but the staff was pleasant and the room was clean.

This time I couldn't find a great price like that at any Radisson or Country Inn at a time that worked for me. The $20 parking fee at the Reagan Airport Radisson you mentioned just pushes the price up too high for me, even on a good rate.
If you're willing to walk several blocks south of Jefferson Davis and the Potomac, there is a residential neighborhood where on-street parking is possible 24 hours a day on the weekends and from 6 p.m. to 8 a.m. during the weekday. Since I'd been here before, I was aware of that option. I didn't mention it in my original post since the review was already pretty long. There is also Saturday evening and all-day Sunday free parking on Crystal Drive on the other side of Jefferson Davis Highway.

By the way, if you're willing to drive out to Sterling, there's a Country Inn there where I stayed on Saturday night of the same weekend with a AAA rate of $79 (it was a CC weekend as I also rented an Avis vehicle to make the trip for an extra 9K points). I'll do another post with a review, but it's a pretty standard Country Inn.

And DCAview, thanks for the answer. I remember that now, and the building does have the look of a Days Inn in a high-density area--there's a similar Days Inn on the oceanfront in Virginia Beach.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 10:27 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond
Stayed here Friday night for the Big Night Giveaway. As a status match silver buying the cheapest room I was given a suite on the top floor, a very pleasant surprise as there was no mention of my status or an upgrade at check-in. TBH the total area of the suite wasn't much bigger than a normal room but hey, 1 for 1 on upgrades. The living room had a couch and two chairs of moderate comfortableness, a desk, a microwave, and a television. Bedroom had another television. Neither were HD. The main bathroom was rather large with a Jacuzzi and shower. There was another half bathroom just inside the entrance to the suite. Looking at the fire map thingie it seems that the different suites may have different configurations.

Kabob Palace on Eads just south of the 7-11 is my restaurant of choice in the area. Open 24 hours!
Old Jun 25, 2012, 4:36 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I also stayed here during the promotion, although it was for a stay that I had to make, and I simply chose Radisson to get the 50K points.

As a Gold, I wasn't upgraded from the studio since the hotel was booked full. I ended up paying about $102 before TCB rebate (if I ever get that). Not sure if I got an in-room welcome gift, although there were 2 bottles of water above the mini-fridge when I got in, so maybe that was it. I do think I was the first elite member on the list that morning, since I arrived a bit earlier than check-in time. Hotel was booked solid the night before, and I was given the first room out of about 6 people waiting.

The bed was comfy enough, the bathroom was kind of small for a studio room. The studios are also right next to the elevators, but I didn't sense any noise from them. The suite did have one of those "doors to another room" in them, and the family next door was kind of loud up until midnight (which was annoying since I had a meeting in DC in the morning). I called the front desk, but since they were fully booked, I couldn't switch rooms. The noise subsided, but just make a note that it is a very family hotel in the summer. I think I went around the same time as the big Girl Scouts convention in DC, but they were all checking out the day that I checked in, so there wasn't much of an overlap with that.

There is a pool and fitness center, but I didn't use them during the stay. I also didn't have breakfast at the hotel.

If you are coming from DCA, I'd call the hotel for the shuttle as you're disembarking. There was another large group checking in when I got there, so a shuttle showed up within 5 minutes of me calling. It's literally a 2-minute ride to the hotel, and they'll gladly drop you off as well.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA Silver/Marriott Gold/Hilton Gold
Were those of you who booked a AAA rate asked for your card? I just stayed at a Park Inn last night on a gov't rate and wasn't even asked for my ID.

Is this standard practice at hotels now, to not ask for proof?
Old Jul 6, 2012, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Majikow
Were those of you who booked a AAA rate asked for your card? I just stayed at a Park Inn last night on a gov't rate and wasn't even asked for my ID.

I occasionally get asked for my government ID if I book that rate. I generally book AAA unless I get a better rate through another code, and I haven't been asked for that ID in years. I wasn't asked for my AAA ID when I stayed at this hotel on 6/1 or at the Country Inn & Suites in Sterling on 6/2. And that's been a consistent experience across Hilton, CC, Choice, SPG, and IHG properties.

Of course, as soon as I leave my AAA ID at home, I'll get asked for it!
Old Jul 6, 2012, 3:07 pm

Programs: DL-Silver; BA-Bronze

When me and my wife checked in at this hotel under a AAA rate neither one of us was asked for our AAA cards. However, the person checking in next to us at the same time was asked for theirs and apparently didn't have one or didn't have it with them. Not sure how it turned out but it sounded like the check in clerk wasn't going to give them the AAA rate.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 5:38 pm

Programs: Air: Many; Hotel: HH D, HY G, IHG P, MR S, RR

I stayed here last weekend on an AAA rate, and I was not asked for my AAA card. The person checking me in, however, did scrutinize my credit card and license. He kept looking at one and the other, I guess to ensure that the same name was on both.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA Silver/Marriott Gold/Hilton Gold
Both my fiance and I ended up staying here over the weekend with the AAA rate. They never asked for proof (though the first night we checked in at close to 2AM, so not sure if that had an effect).

They were also nice enough to let us keep the same room for the whole weekend so we didn't have to move our bags.

Definitely park on the street behind the Radisson at the meters and save the $20. Eads St if you are staying Saturday night (free on Sunday), or the north side of 22nd st (with the green meters) if you are staying Friday and Saturday night since it's free on the weekend.

Also, the pool is almost as warm as a hot tub, so be prepared.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 8:41 am

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Just finished a run - my second for the second promo - as a local and a few random thoughts.
1. For a hotel so close to DC, an $80 + tax AAA rate isn't bad at all.
2. Free parking on weekends across the street, RT 1, in the garage. If there is nothing on the street in the local area, this is the best way to go.
3. Staff was fine but I really didn't ask for anything.
4. Rooms are a bit tired but you sort of get what you pay for. I ran with colleagues and we compared rooms. It seemed the amenities were a bit haphazard. Mouthwash in one and not in another. Water in one and not in another. Really a bit odd.
5. Sleep # beds are interesting.
6. Overheard the desk agent telling folks it would be 20 min for the shuttle to pick them up at DCA.

AAA note: I am a member but they didn't ask for my AAA card.

Nutshell: Location and price can't be beat for DC but not all that memorable.

Cheers
Old Jan 17, 2016, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Stayed here last night, it's being converted to a Hilton Garden Inn. Not terrible but at present below standard for a newer HGI. For $75 a night all in it was fine though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.