Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice on Radisson properties in Helsinki?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2010, 3:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mile-High Club, Marriott Plt, SPG P-75, PC Plt, Hyatt Dia, Carlson Gold, BW Dia
Advice on Radisson properties in Helsinki?

I can't find much information about the Radisson properties in Helsinki. Does anyone have any feedback on the following:

Blu Plaza Hotel
Blu Royal Hotel

The other 2 properties are a bit too out of the way to be relevant to me.

Thanks
Old Oct 30, 2010, 4:48 am

Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Gold, Diners
What are your preferences? Are you coming for pleasure or business?

The Royal is the "main" Radisson in Helsinki. That's what my company always uses when my colleagues come to Helsinki, and they are happy with it. I don't have personal experiences with the rooms/stays, but the colleagues who stay there often usually get some form of upgrade, also the occasional upgrade to suites.

I really can't comment on Plaza. I think it's newer. It's close to the railway station next to a big park. If there's any place in Helsinki that you should avoid night-time (especially females who are alone), that park is probably it. It's a shame, as daytime the park is quite nice. But don't get me wrong, it's also a nice hotel according to what I've heard. It's a bit "hidden" so you don't notice it when you walk around in Helsinki, as opposed to the Royal.

Locationwise they are equally good. The Plaza is closer to the Esplanade and Stockmann's department-store, the Royal is closer to the big shopping center Kamppi, the Parliament etc. Everything is walking-distance in Helsinki city center.

Again, depending on what you want to do in Helsinki, I wouldn't completely rule out Radisson Blu Seaside. It's maybe 500m-1km from the Royal, closer to the harbor where the ships to Tallin leave from. It's an alternative, quite popular among business travellers as it's close to the businesses of west-Helsinki (Ruoholahti). It's a 10-15 minute walk to the heart of the city, or then you take the tram and arrive in 5 minutes.

So if you can give a bit more information why you are coming (this time of the year...) to Helsinki, then maybe we can give better advice.

Regards,
Niksal
Old Oct 30, 2010, 8:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Stayed in the Plaza a couple of years ago and found it okay. The airport bus drops you off just round the corner so is very handy for getting to/from HEL. Very centrally located beside the main shopping area.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mile-High Club, Marriott Plt, SPG P-75, PC Plt, Hyatt Dia, Carlson Gold, BW Dia
Originally Posted by niksal
What are your preferences? Are you coming for pleasure or business?
Pleasure. I'm visiting a friend in Tampere, but we will spend the last day/night (a Friday) in Helsinki before flying out the next day.

I'd like something either posh or hip. Gym and business amenities are unimportant. We have stayed at Klaus K previously, and Hotel Kämp is not a possibility for complicated reasons. I'm hoping that my GPP Gold status might get a nice upgrade at one of the Radisson properties. Klaus K is still a possibility if the Radissons are not very special.

I'm surprised that there is not an IC or Marriott in Helsinki. It's tough to be a points-junkie in this city!
Old Oct 31, 2010, 12:12 am

Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Gold, Diners
You have to choose between points and hip/posh. IMO, you can forget the Radissons if you want the latter. If you liked Klaus K and Kämp is not an option, then I would recommend either GLO http://www.palacekamp.fi/in_english/hotels/hotel_glo/ (next to Kämp) or Haven http://www.hotelhaven.fi/en . At least they are supposed to be best in town at the moment.

If it's a Radisson you're after, then I'd probably go for the Plaza due to the location, or then Seaside (at least some years ago they had a fabulous sauna on the top floor). Royal would be better for business.

Aren't Holiday Inns in the same program as IC? Of course you can forget hip/posh then also. There used to be 2 (I think) ICs in Helsinki, but one is now a Hilton, the other one a Scandic. They have announced a Marriott, but it's going to be built far away from the city center.

Let us know what you went for and how it was!
Old Oct 31, 2010, 4:05 am

As said, the plaza is closer to the railwaystation, where your bus is leaving to the airport, if you don't choose to take a taxi. Although the royal is 1 minute subway ride or 10 minutes walking from the trainstation.
I only have personal experience from the royal, and i'd recommend it, there is a quick review in the 'review sticky' in this subforum. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/radis...reviews-2.html

If you however want hip/stylish i'd go for GLO or haven.
There is also a crown plaza, supposed to be pretty good.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 12:50 am

Programs: UA Plat, Delta Plat, SPG Platinum/Life Gold
I have stayed in the Plaza and the Royal though not the Seaside yet.

The Plaza is MUCH nicer. It is newer, the rooms are nicer and the restaurant/bar are better IMO.

As niksal says, location they are both good, it depends on what you are looking for. I preferred the Plaza as it is closer to nice bars/restaurants (My favourite bar nearby being Kaisla, about 40m from Plaza) but the Royal is right next to Kamppi. As he mentioned nothing is very far away from either.

Hope this is helpful.

An African Nomad
Old Nov 1, 2010, 5:12 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, IHG Gold, Le Club des Actionnaires
Radisson upgrades

I agree that none of the radissons are "posh." There are some interesting design elements in all of them, though, and good value for money especially on weekend extend rates for gold memebers. I have stayed numerous times at all of them, with 0 upgrades at Plaza, always upgraded to a nice superior at Seaside (and once to a huge business class I'd call a suite.) Royal has usually upgraded to business class and once to a suite. They also all give drinks coupons to elites (I'm gold).

The crowne plaza hotel is posher and still fairly well located. Since you will not benefit from 2-4-1 on this stay, I'd go for the crowne plaza since it has good weekend rates and PC points are better value than Goldpoints. They'd give you an upgrade as a Plat, possibly even club.

Last edited by Nestor; Nov 1, 2010 at 5:46 am Reason: noted only 1 night stay, so 2-4-1 not useful
Old Nov 1, 2010, 5:26 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, IHG Gold, Le Club des Actionnaires
Originally Posted by niksal
You have to choose between points and hip/posh. IMO, you can forget the Radissons if you want the latter. If you liked Klaus K and Kämp is not an option, then I would recommend either GLO http://www.palacekamp.fi/in_english/hotels/hotel_glo/ (next to Kämp) or Haven http://www.hotelhaven.fi/en . At least they are supposed to be best in town at the moment.

If it's a Radisson you're after, then I'd probably go for the Plaza due to the location, or then Seaside (at least some years ago they had a fabulous sauna on the top floor). Royal would be better for business.

Aren't Holiday Inns in the same program as IC? Of course you can forget hip/posh then also. There used to be 2 (I think) ICs in Helsinki, but one is now a Hilton, the other one a Scandic. They have announced a Marriott, but it's going to be built far away from the city center.

Let us know what you went for and how it was!
I fully agree except I (now) avoid Plaza due to lack upgrades and the traveler is a gold. Plaza now has the best sauna, the seaside rooftop sauna is not available for complimentary guest use.

The old IC, now Hilton Strand, has a great rooftop sauna and pool and is generally good if you can get a deal on the better rooms. The other old IC, now Scandic Continental, has the same but is very dated and worn.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

I appreciate the feedback. I just want to clarify that I meant the terms "hip" and "posh" within the context of Finland. I know that "posh" and sisu don't overlap much!

One final question: does anyone know the parking costs at these hotels? Both the Plaza and the Royal mention parking garages are available. We'll be driving in from Tampere and need to stow the car somewhere.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Update:

I ended up staying at the Radisson Blu Royal Hotel. I was upgraded as a GPP Gold to a room on the Business Class floor; they apologized that the hotel was 100% booked, so I suspect they might have upgraded me to something beyond that. The room was quite spacious, and I had a pleasant stay overall. Parking is in an underground garage directly accessible from stairs in the lobby, and cost approx. 25EUR for a 24hr period. The breakfast buffet has both English/American and Continental/Nordic selections, and was copious and filling. I did not try the sauna or exercise room.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 4:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Nestor
I agree that none of the radissons are "posh." There are some interesting design elements in all of them, though, and good value for money especially on weekend extend rates for gold memebers. I have stayed numerous times at all of them, with 0 upgrades at Plaza, always upgraded to a nice superior at Seaside (and once to a huge business class I'd call a suite.) Royal has usually upgraded to business class and once to a suite. They also all give drinks coupons to elites (I'm gold).

The crowne plaza hotel is posher and still fairly well located. Since you will not benefit from 2-4-1 on this stay, I'd go for the crowne plaza since it has good weekend rates and PC points are better value than Goldpoints. They'd give you an upgrade as a Plat, possibly even club.
Do you have any experience of getting upgraded while staying on the weekend extend deal?
Old Dec 25, 2010, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by britbronco22
Do you have any experience of getting upgraded while staying on the weekend extend deal?
Yes, this is most of my experience in fact.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Time for some updating. Staying at the Plaza tonight which as noted is just across from the RR station. (If you take the bus in from the airport, it's on the opposite side of the station.) The hotel features a cool modern decor, halls are dimly lit but lighting highlights doors with projected room numbers on the carpet in front of each room (white unless you turn on the "do not disturb" when it turns red). Rooms are Finnish modern in design and very functional, though not plush. Business Rooms are interspersed with regular ones, no special floor. The balcony over the main restaurant serves as a Club Lounge with a modest selection of drinks and food in the evening, full breakfasts in the morning.

Concierge upgrade is to Business Room and includes lounge access, free use of the Nespresso, free movie (and wifi as for all elites) and a tray of local chocolate bars garnished with loganberries. 42" 3D Phillips TV, and a small one in the bathroom.

Location is ideal for sight seeing, shopping and getting to/from HEL
Old May 18, 2014, 2:07 pm
Suspended

will be staying at The Plaza early July, early morn flights out of HEL 7 & 7:30am (obviously not flying together) Does anyone know what times the buses start running and how long it takes to get to HEL (thats with 1 'L') Would 2 people sharing a cab be alot more then the bus, if there is a bus

Its the last destination of the trip and Id rather have all my ducks lined up before hand and know what to expect,then to get surprised once over there

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.