Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

LAX-DOH runs out of champagne 2 hours into flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2017, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K MM, QR Platinum

Hi, the title says it all but it was a disappointment for a 16 hour flight to run out so soon - is it worth emailing QR and as a gold PC is there a better email address to use? Online contact us tab seems to be more related to PC issues than service on board?
I did speak to the Purser who said she had received quite a few complaints from other passengers, so assume this isn't normal? The Purser explained it was due to the route and the profile of the passengers? No idea what that means !
Old Apr 17, 2017, 8:26 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Not the 1st time I heard this, recently had a friend fly same route and they also ran out of champagne about 1 HR into flight. Seems to be an ongoing issue with QR on this route...
Old Apr 17, 2017, 10:07 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Is this perhaps because, at times, they may be many Islamic clients that don't consume alcohol, versus others flights where there may be more that consume wines (and the airline is trying to cheat by catering to traditional load levels)?

Not trying to sound prejudicial, but our flight LAX-DOH we were the only westerners on board and had pretty much unlimited reign on the wines.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 10:31 pm

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
I think the only way Qatar Airways could profile the passenger's religion would be through the special meal request, such as the 'halal' meal.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Is alcohol double-catered ex-DOH on that flight?
Old Apr 18, 2017, 12:31 am

Programs: QR Gold, BAEC, Marriott Rewards Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SullyofDoha
I think the only way Qatar Airways could profile the passenger's religion would be through the special meal request, such as the 'halal' meal.
IIRC all QR meals are halal by default.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 1:30 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Is alcohol double-catered ex-DOH on that flight?
My thought process has been similar for this route, but more so in general as there have been similar reports on-board flights to Tokyo and Auckland too.

Bizarrely it happens mostly on longer routes, but no idea why they'd be double catered, as the weight would be prohibitive.

M
Old Apr 18, 2017, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Bizarrely it happens mostly on longer routes, but no idea why they'd be double catered, as the weight would be prohibitive.
But less so if they don't cater enough.

I can report that there seemed to be no shortages on BOS-DOH a few days ago.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 3:38 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Maybe flyertalker macabus was onboard?
Old Apr 18, 2017, 4:11 am

Programs: FB PFL, TK Gold, PC Platinum
Originally Posted by united78
Hi, the title says it all but it was a disappointment for a 16 hour flight to run out so soon - is it worth emailing QR and as a gold PC is there a better email address to use? Online contact us tab seems to be more related to PC issues than service on board?
I did speak to the Purser who said she had received quite a few complaints from other passengers, so assume this isn't normal? The Purser explained it was due to the route and the profile of the passengers? No idea what that means !
I have had flight where some of the wine ran out (mostly doh - AMS ) but champis was available prior landing . Perhaps it's because I go for the rose rather than for the brut.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 9:58 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by SullyofDoha
I think getting a rough idea based on name is not that difficult.

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
Not trying to sound prejudicial, but our flight LAX-DOH we were the only westerners on board and had pretty much unlimited reign on the wines.
Odd, all of my QR flights to/from the USA have been predominantly westerners in J and lots of westerners and Indians in Y.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 11:47 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
When I flew this route a few weeks ago it was only about 2/3 full in J and there was no shortage of champagne or other alcohol.

I did note that the rose was different than the other QR flights. (Lanson vs. Piper)
Old Apr 23, 2017, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K MM, QR Platinum
I took the 2 minutes to email QR to say it wasn't cool, and got a reply to say they are looking into this and will come back to me shortly. QR said they will resolve this to my satisfaction
Old Apr 24, 2017, 2:57 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
Is this perhaps because, at times, they may be many Islamic clients that don't consume alcohol, versus others flights where there may be more that consume wines (and the airline is trying to cheat by catering to traditional load levels)?
I think it's more the latter point about not loading enough stock. For a 16 hour flight you should be stocking enough for 32 hours plus rather than only stocking enough supplies to barely cover the outbound!

This is assuming they don't have a supplier at US departure points of course, which it doesn't seem is the case. However, the different Rose from an earlier post may suggest this actually is the situation, which makes this all the more confusing?
Old Apr 25, 2017, 12:53 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by united78
QR said they will resolve this to my satisfaction
To be honest I wouldn't count on anything happening. QR and Al Baker tend to be full of hype.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.