Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Am I correct? Although having the double miles promo, I'm still better off with BAEC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Am I correct? Although having the double miles promo, I'm still better off with BAEC

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2017, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *A Gold, BA Silver, Avis President, Hertz President circle

Flying this week in R class Europe to Perth.

I currently have no one world miles or status.
I could use Qatar miles which through the promo would give me double miles, but still BA miles seem to make more sense due to the following 2 reasons:

* Tier - With QR I would have 150 Tier miles which gets me to silver which would be OW Ruby, while with BA I would get 560 tier miles which is nearly BA Silver which is OW Sapphire

* BA miles seem to be worth more than double of QR for Europe flights (QR seems to charge much more for award tickets)
Are the Fuel taxes on QR at least low?
Old Mar 18, 2017, 8:32 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Accor Plat
Hi, you will still need to take 4 flights with BA to progress status.

I am typing this at the Parmelia Hilton Perth at the moment.

I credited my flight with QR to my BA account and the following have posted to my BA account

BHX DOH 140 4,158
DOH PER 140 7,249
Old Mar 19, 2017, 1:02 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by moeman982
Hi, you will still need to take 4 flights with BA to progress status.
To progress to Bronze only 2 qualifying flights need to be credited to BAEC, and the OP would get that immediately with two qualifying flights as they would have over 300 tier points. It's Silver (600 tier points) or Gold (1500 tier points) that need 4.

It's true that BAEC Reward Flight Saver redemptions in Europe do offer genuinely good value, and can be especially good for positioning flights for various ex-EU offers
Old Mar 19, 2017, 8:26 am

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Marriott tit, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
I think you have to decide which program is of more use to you personally and how you will use each carrier / OW going forward - if at all. You appear to have snagged an R class fare, possibly from one of the sales, but need to decide what is next.
This is very much a personal choice but I would certainly factor in the limited use of QR miles and how you can redeem - especially as you appear to be UK based.
You may find the link below of use.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...Privilege+Club

I credit mine to BAEC as have been a member there since Y2K or thereabouts, so am in a different situation to you.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 10:40 am

Programs: BAEC
Another minefield of Flyertalk facts and information is available in the thread "Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here." ...but you will need more than 5 mins to digest it.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 1:54 pm

You are right about getting getting tiers easier as well as getting better value for short range awards, so if this is what you want, use BAEC. However, when you factor in Qmile promos, QRPC has good value for long range awards on QR metal and extra fees are quite low.
You can get EU-AKL in C for 180k Qmiles (-5% for QRPC Gold and up) or most SEA destinations for 150k
Old Mar 20, 2017, 12:55 am

Programs: QR Plat, Accor Plat
I agree with makrom, who quoted cost in Qmiles for return tickets, not just one way.
QR charges only airport and other government imposed taxes on award tickets (roughly 100 EUR for a return ticket). They don't charge any fuel surcharge (YQ, YR). You can check the detail of taxes by making a dummy award booking on QR website and it's the same as any OTA or ITA would tell you, minus the fuel surcharges.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 3:33 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Generally what value do you guys give to one Avios vs one Qmile?
Old Mar 20, 2017, 4:25 am

escape4 as makrom says in post 6 of this thread it depends on what you want to do. I would recommend the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...help-here.html thread for any attempt at evaluating the relative values.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 8:01 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by remdk
escape4 as makrom says in post 6 of this thread it depends on what you want to do. I would recommend the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...help-here.html thread for any attempt at evaluating the relative values.
Well I am not trying to decide between OW programs; I have both QR and BA at the moment. I am simply trying to assess the value of a mile vs Avios. Let's say I want to book an award flight on another carrier (JL, MH, AA, whatever), with BA perhaps they want xx avios for it, and QR wants yy miles for it. I am trying to determine if for the particular route and the number of adios/miles required, which account should I use to book the flight?

Same thing about earning. If I am flying on MH and I need to decide whether to earn on BA or on QR... depends the relative value of the miles between the programs.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by escape4
I am trying to determine if for the particular route and the number of adios/miles required, which account should I use to book the flight?

Same thing about earning. If I am flying on MH and I need to decide whether to earn on BA or on QR... depends the relative value of the miles between the programs.
Awards
www.awardace.com (and others) give a guide for awards. Some ffp's charge by sector. Others by start and end point. Or some other ffp rules.
The big uncertainty can be carrier imposed surcharges (YQ YR). Real taxes are the same for all airlines on the same routes/cabin. A surcharge can trigger additional real taxes if the award changes from non revenue to revenue.

Earning. Depends on fare booking class and your status
www.wheretocredit.com/MH

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.