Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

"An error occurred..." while trying to modify seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2016, 2:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)

OW Emerald flying QR economy. I booked a USA-India ticket via OTA. Noticed that the OTA had pre-selected seats for me based on some profile I had with them but forgotten about.

When I go to QR "manage booking" to try modifying the seats, I get "An error occurred while loading the seat-map". I have tried different browsers, deleted caches etc., but this behavior sticks. Anybody know what's going on? (FWIW, the ticket is less than 24 hr old, if that matters.)

The automatic seat-selection isn't bad, I could live with it: it is after all based on my own preferences saved at the OTA. However, I would like to fine tune it---and do it online so that I have a map of available seats to look at and don't have to be on hold with phone operators.

Last edited by aktchi; Oct 17, 2016 at 11:29 am
Old Oct 17, 2016, 2:48 am

aktchi whilst I have no experience with TAs/OTAs etc and QR I think that you will need to go to the OTA to change seats. Your ticket is still under their control and control will first be given to QR shortly before OLC opens. I have heard that an OTA will give control to QR earlier but it is apparently quite difficult.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 4:22 am
Original Poster

Thanks. In this case OTA actually sends me to QR website. All steps go smoothly till I try to change seats.

BTW, I can choose special meals at QR. So they have at least that much control. The problem may well be, as QR says, with loading the seat map. I tried different browsers but that didn't help.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 5:05 am

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
Same problem here to change an existing seat selection due to aircraft change of upcoming flight. QR website comes up with the error mentioned above.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 5:49 am

Programs: BAEC
I didn't have any problems changing seats on my flights booked through OTA. Was in J, which might be the difference.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mrvincent
I didn't have any problems changing seats on my flights booked through OTA. Was in J, which might be the difference.
Don't you have some extra salt to rub in?
Old Oct 17, 2016, 12:40 pm

aktchi from the evidence presented in this thread I would suggest that a change of aircraft is being considered. Maybe a change of aircraft type. With the current shortage of aircraft the schedulers at QR have a difficult task with too few available aircraft for too many flights. At the moment there is probably no aircraft allocated to the flight. Thus a change of aircraft type may occur so no seat map can be shown. Not all of these aircraft changes result in an aircraft type change but some do.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by remdk
aktchi from the evidence presented in this thread I would suggest that a change of aircraft is being considered. Maybe a change of aircraft type. With the current shortage of aircraft the schedulers at QR have a difficult task with too few available aircraft for too many flights. At the moment there is probably no aircraft allocated to the flight. Thus a change of aircraft type may occur so no seat map can be shown...
Yes that seems quite plausible. I'll keep checking the website every couple days; otherwise OLCI time. As I said I am basically ok with the pre-assigned seats; this is just the "frequent flyer" in me.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 9:00 am

Programs: QR Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by aktchi
Yes that seems quite plausible. I'll keep checking the website every couple days; otherwise OLCI time. As I said I am basically ok with the pre-assigned seats; this is just the "frequent flyer" in me.
Did you try to display the seat map on ExpertFlyer to check if there's any available seat (non occupied and non blocked) ?
Old Oct 22, 2016, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Matt4
Did you try to display the seat map on ExpertFlyer to check if there's any available seat (non occupied and non blocked) ?
Yes, many remain available. At the same time, no difference in QR website's behavior either.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 9:35 pm

If you don't want to call them, perhaps you could try emailing them to help you with your seat assignment?
Just peek at ExpertFlyer, take note of an available seat you would prefer, and then send them an email request. At the same time maybe mention that you've been having trouble getting access to the seat map online. If you're lucky, they might be able to solve your access problem too! *cross fingers*
Old Oct 23, 2016, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

flyingdoubles: I am actually quite ok with my seats and no available seats are clearly superior. Being able to change online allows me to follow the changes and select other, presently-occupied, seats as people's plans change and those seats become available.

Having to call operators multiple times for such things takes much of the fun away.

So it is nothing serious. I was just surprised that "change seats" function seemed broken and wanted to share that with more experienced QR hands just in case this was a known issue and, more importantly, there were known work arounds.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by aktchi
flyingdoubles: I am actually quite ok with my seats and no available seats are clearly superior. Being able to change online allows me to follow the changes and select other, presently-occupied, seats as people's plans change and those seats become available.

Having to call operators multiple times for such things takes much of the fun away.

So it is nothing serious. I was just surprised that "change seats" function seemed broken and wanted to share that with more experienced QR hands just in case this was a known issue and, more importantly, there were known work arounds.
Something similar happened to me with CX not too long ago - and I'd bought the ticket directly from their website! Couldn't access the seat reservation portion of MMB. An email with some feedback to customer service did the trick! They fixed it not too long after that.

I personally haven't had any issue with QR's seat map unless the cabin is sold out. No harm trying an email - it works out to your benefit if they can sort out the reason why you can't access the sat map online.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.