Search

Deplaning into departure concourse?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2016, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Deplaning into departure concourse?

Hi all,

I've just arrived home from a return journey to BKK via Doha. Both times upon arrival at Doha those who were transferring to another flight were directed straight into the departure concourse - no transfer process, no security check, just direct access to Doha's airside departure area (those whose final destination was Doha were directed up the escalators to the arrivals area). Is this a new policy?

Apologies if this has been raised before. This was my first flight with Qatar and I thought I'd have to go back through security again at Doha so was curious to know.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 8:47 am

Certain destinations are spared additional security screening on arrival. Always a joy when it happens.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
It happens regularly. For anyone compiling a list, you can start with CMB. 100% on my flights. Doing one again in two days.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 10:13 am

dilpat84 welcome to the QR forum.

A secret list is produced daily of arriving flights that are exempted security screening in DOH that day. It is supposed to be random flights chosen each day but LHR appears frequently as do certain other origins where security is deemed 'safe'. Other flights are added almost randomly. For security reasons the list is kept secret. The list appears only to contain flights that arrive at a contact gate and not a remote bus stand. This is not anything new but has been practice for quite some time.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by remdk
A secret list is produced daily of arriving flights that are exempted security screening in DOH that day. It is supposed to be random flights chosen each day but LHR appears frequently as do certain other origins where security is deemed 'safe'.
Actually, the "random" part sounds exactly right to me. I have had both direct transit and security rescreening from LHR, CDG, OSL, ARN, MEL, JNB, CPT, SIN, IST, FCO, etc. Other origins I have had one or the other but on small numbers. None of them seems to be more or less frequently exempt in my experience. I thought the randomness was mistaken but now that you say it is purposeful it sounds spot on. Why, however, would anyone do that randomly is entirely beyond me.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 3:44 pm

orbitmic why Random you ask. Two, of probably many, reasons: smuggling and terrorism.
Since we do not know the true capabilities of the security equipment used in DOH for obvious security reasons we should assume that they are much better than the apparent cursory, negligent looking attitude of security staff at DOH. Thus there would be a risk of discovery for either of the reasons mentioned above.
Were the list fixed, and known then it would be much simpler to use an origin from the list where security is known to be less stringent.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 3:48 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
As remdk has said, it is kept random for security reasons.

While the secondary security check may be perceived to be rather weak, it is comparable to other airports in the Middle East - DXB and AUH to name just two.

While it is fair to say most LHR flights are absolved from the secondary check, I have had three flights from LHR in the past six months where the check was required - and circa ten where it wasn't.

BKK is the same, and likewise CDG. They mix it up, and I'm glad they do.

M
Old Oct 15, 2016, 3:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Interestingly, when I was touring the DOH facility before it opened the airline made a lot of noise about the ability to reduce MCTs because certain connecting passengers on short connections would be able to clear back in to the departures area via expedited security at the gates in many cases. That they are just pre-clearing some planes en masse is a very different approach but also one I can respect. Though it does not allow for the better MCTs.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 11:08 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Yep, mostly very random.

One consistency I have found is that my flights originating from India are pretty much always rescreened at Doha - I can't recall even one where we've disembarked directly into the terminal during the past 4 years of regular flights to/from India with QR.

I've never actually seen screening at the gate (either on arrival or departure) and the machines seem to sit there unused. I understand that the US-bound flights do have additional screening at the gate though.

Last edited by purple1addict; Oct 15, 2016 at 11:18 pm
Old Oct 16, 2016, 12:54 am

Australia flights always have gate screening, and I've had a gate check on a departure to the UK this year too. Keeps everyone on their toes!
Old Oct 17, 2016, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
It happens regularly. For anyone compiling a list, you can start with CMB. 100% on my flights. Doing one again in two days.
CMB-DOH on Monday, October 17, ~0515 arrival. Transfer pax directed directly into the terminal, no rescreening. Interestingly, boarding passes were not checked. If you self-identified as connecting, you went into the terminal departures area.

One should note, however, that security screening is quite comprehensive at CMB. Two separate security screenings (including scan of both checked and carry-on bags as well as walk-through metal detector) just to get into the building to the ticket counters. (One screening is just inside the door; the other is just before the ticket counters.) Then another full screening station at the entrance to the gate, before you get into the actual gate waiting area.

Last edited by Dr. HFH; Oct 18, 2016 at 5:52 am
Old Oct 18, 2016, 9:24 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, National Executive Elite, Hotels.com Gold
I've taken 8 Round trips connecting at DOH in the last year. All were US (LAX/DFW/JFK) to AUH/DXB/DWC and return. Thus, I've been through DOH 16 times in the last year. I have visited the transfer security checkpoint on all 16 occasions. Furthermore, I've had the gate security checkpoint on all 8 returns to the US.

The gate security checkpoint is usually very chaotic (due to limited space), but thorough. The transfer security checkpoint appears to be very lax, and most security officers seem asleep, conversing with each other, not paying attention, etc.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DrinkRaiderade
Furthermore, I've had the gate security checkpoint on all 8 returns to the US.
IIRC this is required by US CBP.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 1:58 am

Programs: *G, ow Saph
Originally Posted by remdk
The list appears only to contain flights that arrive at a contact gate and not a remote bus stand. This is not anything new but has been practice for quite some time.
As always, an exception to every rule...I've also had 2 bus arrivals which deplaned (debused) directly into the concourse at the E section, with no transfer security. I was quite surprised.

Of course, this may have been because the flights were late, not because they were on the "list" referred to above.

Consistent inconsistency
Old Oct 21, 2016, 5:36 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite / LH Senator / KL Gold / QR Gold
Originally Posted by MKE-MR
As always, an exception to every rule...I've also had 2 bus arrivals which deplaned (debused) directly into the concourse at the E section, with no transfer security. I was quite surprised.

Of course, this may have been because the flights were late, not because they were on the "list" referred to above.

Consistent inconsistency
Same here. Last 4 bus arrivals were all directly to the D/E concourse without any security. All of these flights were ahead of schedule, so it really seems to be a consistent inconsistency there

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.