Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Why is Al Mourjan still reserved only for premium pax?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2016, 2:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!

Look, I get it. Qatar wants a premium lounge, for premium passengers. They want something special for their top-tier customers or Al Baker himself, like BA has the Concorde Room. That's what Al Safwa is for.

But WHY is Al Mourjan still only reserved for business class passengers, and not even their own Privilege Club elite members, let alone oneworld? Even the BA Galleries First has a Champagne bar, a-la-carte dining, and spa services, all for economy Gold fliers and business class passengers. The oneworld lounges at HIA are a complete joke in comparison.

Emirates lets their Platinums (and partners) into their First Class lounge, Etihad lets their Platinums (and partners) into their First Class lounge, regardless of flown class of service.

Why does Qatar continue to do this?
Old Sep 23, 2016, 3:44 am

keitherson QR are very protective of their premium classes. Their attitude appears to be that if someone pays for a J or F seat then they should be treated correspondingly. They do not appear to want to allow J to degenerate into a 'Frequent Flyer Y extension' as several, especially US, airlines appear to be doing.
This is QRs decision whether we like or not.
Why should QR do exactly the same as EK and EY? It is these differences that give variety of choice for the passenger.
Will QR change this policy? I am extremely doubtful if QR have even considered doing so.
Will a discussion here change anything? I think the chances of that are almost non-existent.
I know that many members of the forum hold strong views so please discuss this matter but PLEASE keep a civil tone to the discussion.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 3:58 am

Programs: CX JL QR LH BA
I believe there is a business class lounge that ECONOMY class passengers with elite status could freely visit.

And I believe there goes the benefit of having elite status, having access to a business class lounge.

I don't really see the problem here.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 4:08 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
The QR Lounge model, is based on ticket cost.

If you pay for a J or F ticket, you have access to a better lounge than someone who buys in Y.

I appreciate there are times when a Y ticket can be more expensive than J, but ticket sales of Fully Flexible Y fares, are low.

Now, personally, I feel QRPC Platinum cardholders should be permitted access to the Al Mourjan. Should OWE? No. However, due to the OneWorld reciprocation terms, QR would have to open the doors to OWE, hence they haven't done this.

There are new lounges coming to HIA, and I am led to believe that QRPC Platinum cardholders will be the biggest winners - and deservedly so.

Once that lounge opens, it will free the HIA First Class Lounge, and that may well be upgraded. The HIA Business Class Lounge will also likely see an improvement.

QR offer their J and F passengers better Lounges and services. Nothing wrong with that in my eyes I'm afraid.

Should be gulf between the HIA First Class Lounge and the Al Mourjan be slightly slimmer, yes.

M
Old Sep 23, 2016, 4:40 am

Programs: QRPC Silver, BA Silver
ashsong

As msm2000uk mentions above - there is a 'Business' and 'First' Lounge that elite frequent fliers can use - dependant on status. Unfortunately the difference between these lounges and the 'true' Business (Al M) and First (Al S) is considerable in size/facilities/menus/drinks etc. Hence a lot of unhappy Frequent fliers! But as remdk mentions - this policy shows no sign of change, until the new lounges open perhaps. But... on the plus side - there is champagne on request in the FF First lounge!
Old Sep 23, 2016, 4:59 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by remdk
keitherson QR are very protective of their premium classes. Their attitude appears to be that if someone pays for a J or F seat then they should be treated correspondingly. They do not appear to want to allow J to degenerate into a 'Frequent Flyer Y extension' as several, especially US, airlines appear to be doing.
This is QRs decision whether we like or not.
Why should QR do exactly the same as EK and EY? It is these differences that give variety of choice for the passenger.
I know that many members of the forum hold strong views so please discuss this matter but PLEASE keep a civil tone to the discussion.
I am totally in agreement. Civility is important even when emotions may be running high

QR has the right to conduct business as they wish. Similarly, when they charge a LOT more than other airlines charge for round trip flights between A and B, then I also have the right to fly with another airline - but that is a different topic.

The beauty is that a paying customer can choose who they fly with - remembering, of course, that nothing is free
Old Sep 23, 2016, 7:56 am

Programs: QR Privilege Club Platinum, EK Skywards Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Perhaps the question really should be why are the HIA gold and platinum lounges so bad? I suspect the issues around al safwa and al mourjan access would be substantially reduced if the OWE lounges were anything more than the overcrowded, cramped seating sections which they currently are.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 9:10 am

Programs: BA Silver
Probably going to make myself unpopular here but I support QR in keeping Al Mourjan for business (and first) pax. I only fly J on Qatar so it keeps the lounges nice and quiet.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 9:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by capin
Probably going to make myself unpopular here but I support QR in keeping Al Mourjan for business (and first) pax. I only fly J on Qatar so it keeps the lounges nice and quiet.
+1 ^
Old Sep 23, 2016, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by capin
Absolutely spot on.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 10:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
Perhaps the question really should be why are the HIA gold and platinum lounges so bad? I suspect the issues around al safwa and al mourjan access would be substantially reduced if the OWE lounges were anything more than the overcrowded, cramped seating sections which they currently are.
We have a winner!
Old Sep 23, 2016, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
The QR Lounge model, is based on ticket cost.
I have to disagree on this statement, given that I have paid more for the DOH-LHR sector in economy on a return trip to DOH than for the same flight in business on a trip that went further to HKT.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 12:05 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by FlyingScientist
I have to disagree on this statement, given that I have paid more for the DOH-LHR sector in economy on a return trip to DOH than for the same flight in business on a trip that went further to HKT.
I do mention in my post, that I appreciate certain Y fares can be more than J - but these are usually for fully flex fares.

M
Old Sep 23, 2016, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
I do mention in my post, that I appreciate certain Y fares can be more than J - but these are usually for fully flex fares.

M
Sorry for jumping at the first statement without reading further...
Old Sep 23, 2016, 1:41 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
This ^^^

If the QR FF lounges were actually Business & First class service levels then noone would be complaining about keeping the Al Mourjan and Al Safwa exclusive. Everyone seems perfectly happy with BA Galleries First, which is a good compromise by BA in my opinion. I am looking forward to hearing more about the new lounges (and selfishly I do hope QR Plats will come out as winners!).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.