Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

First-time QR Customer - Honeymoon Flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2016, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum Ambassador

Haha flame me if you'd like! I'm new and am going to offer some very basic questions.

My spouse and I will be flying from the southern United to States to MLE for our honeymoon next July. I would like to purchase business class seats.

$4,746 USD for two round trip seats in business class aboard a Boeing 777-200LR 14 hour flight and then an 8 hour layover in Doha (Al Mourjan), followed by a 4 hour flight on an A320.
Is this a good deal? Are there any promos that you guys know of that I am not taking into account? Economy seats are currently ~$2350 total for two. Just last week, each economy seat was priced $600 USD higher!

Additionally, I can't find what fare class the business class tickets are associated with. Where do I find this information?

Thanks for your help, appreciate it!

Edit: realized I was looking at one-ways... Any way to book one way economy and one way business?

Last edited by Ants1; Sep 8, 2016 at 4:18 pm
Old Sep 8, 2016, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Call them, or a travel agency, for mixed bucket ticketing. You may want to look at two rt tickets. US-DOH in J and DOH-MLE in Y since it's a much shorter flight. Pricing may work out a better value or could be more expensive depending on your dates.

Premium class fare sales are less frequent. You did just miss a promotion but nothing you can do about that.

If you do use two different tickets make sure plenty of buffer time or even maybe a full day or two on the way there.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, Yoshi212, just checked and no dice-- more expensive.

Currently, I can grab 2 roundtrips from the US to MLE for $2,322 USD (Economy O).

Or, I can grab 2 roundtrips in Economy O from US -> MLE and then do Business R from MLE -> US for a total of $5,935 USD. Boeing 777-200lr between US and DOH.

What are your guys' thoughts on those fares? The Economy rountrips sound like a steal, but business class on return trip would be very nice.
Can anyone comment on business class service between US (Houston) and DOH?

Why J instead of R? Better earning potential?

Thanks for your help.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 1:15 am

I suspect J was just a generic abbreviation for Business. If you are confident of your dates, have insurance etc. against cancellation/illness there's no reason IMO that you wouldn't be fine with tickets in R class - business restricted. The QR website will show you the fare class that each price books into.

I don't know the US market so can't comment on the fares, but you have ages to wait and see if anything improves.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 2:06 am

Ants1 on the QR online booking site, which I assume you are looking at, you can book Y one way and J the other. What you cannot do is book mixed class tickets for a single journey (IAH-DOH-MLE or MLE-DOH-IAH) this needs a QR office or TA to do.

With regard to ticket classes look at http://www.qatarairways.com/Privileg...alculator.page to see how the different ticket classes correspond to cabin class for those classes that give Qmiles only. If they do not give Qmiles then they are not shown. The different ticketing classes have different price rules and conditions attached to them. Note that the price rules can vary from class to class, country to country and in some circumstances from ticket to ticket.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 3:14 am

You can actually book business one way and economy for the return. I usually find a business promo fare when searching certain dates even if I don't search premium. Alternately give me the dates and I can see what I can find andlet you know.FYI EK is having a companion fare sale.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Firstclasser
You can actually book business one way and economy for the return. I usually find a business promo fare when searching certain dates even if I don't search premium. Alternately give me the dates and I can see what I can find andlet you know.FYI EK is having a companion fare sale.
Thank you, FirstClasser. I noticed that I can book economy one way and then business promo for the return (would imagine returning from the Maldives will be depressing enough haha). But if I can get an award ticket using my Starpoints, I could do roundtrip in business for both of us for about $500 USD less. My problem is the long transfer time of getting Starpoints to QMiles, and the route from Houston apparently doesn't have award travel open yet...

Thanks for note on EK, but my destination isn't eligible. Why can't this process be as easy as booking domestic airfare? This is a full time job!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.