Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Does the BOS to DOH flight require a bus to the gate?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2016, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

I was wondering if you need to go outdoors and get on a bus when arriving on the BOS flight. Hoping to avoid the intense heat in Doha.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 4:53 pm

fleet100 the last three days departures to BOS have been from contact gates and not bus gates. It would thus be reasonable to assume that arrivals would normally be to contact gates. But this is QR so bus gate arrivals can not be ruled out.
Given your arrival time the heat is a very dry heat and should not affect you in the 30 seconds or so it would take from aircraft to bus
Old Aug 7, 2016, 11:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; LH FT (*A Silver); Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite; Starwood Corporate Preferred
I have taken this flight, as well as ORD and DFW into DOH several times. I've had to bus once from DFW and once from BOS but gates the other 4 or 5 times.

It's random and just dependent on luck of the draw it seems... But if you are traveling in J you will have a J-only bus. They park within 50 feet or so of the aircraft. Your time outdoors before entering a very cool bus is about 30 seconds.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 2:35 am

Programs: BA Gold/OWE
I assume you are connecting onwards; otherwise you can't avoid the heat if you're staying Doha !

As a general rule, widebody flights are more likely to get a jet bridge but that's only a rule of thumb and depends on the time of day, how busy the airport is and what the aircraft is doing next.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 2:57 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
If your flight is a widebody class (A330, A340, A350, A380, 777, 787) you will likely be met by an Airbridge.

However, the 787's are the most likely to be parked remotely out of the above.

When parked remotely, the doors are only opened when the buses are ready, and the steps are covered so you do not feel the full strength of the heat.

Even so however, the maximum time you'll be outside, is around 40 seconds as you walk down the steps.

Once inside the buses, you will want a jumper of fur coat, as the temperature is Arctic! Personally I love it, and sometimes it can be more convenient to be parked remotely!

Safe travels,

M
Old Oct 22, 2016, 5:32 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Would A380 be parked remotely? how many buses would then be needed?
Old Oct 22, 2016, 6:06 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by Ausriver
Would A380 be parked remotely? how many buses would then be needed?
It happened at ATL for the inaugural flight from DOH - but that was more so down to airport politics (Delta).

Not sure how many buses were needed, but it wasn't a great welcome!

M
Old Oct 22, 2016, 6:07 am

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
It happened at ATL for the inaugural flight from DOH - but that was more so down to airport politics (Delta).

Not sure how many buses were needed, but it wasn't a great welcome!

M
Hah, yeah, I was going to say "only in Atlanta"

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/06/02/av...lanta-airport/
Old Oct 22, 2016, 6:38 am

Ausriver I have not heard of an A380 being parked remotely, but I suppose it could happen.

It would take 1 F bus, up to 3 J buses and up to 7 Y buses depending upon loading.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by remdk
Ausriver I have not heard of an A380 being parked remotely, but I suppose it could happen.

It would take 1 F bus, up to 3 J buses and up to 7 Y buses depending upon loading.
I've heard a friend take domestic flight in China on a380 got parked at a remote bay at PEK, at a rainy night, with no raincoat provided.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 8:42 am

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I've heard a friend take domestic flight in China on a380 got parked at a remote bay at PEK, at a rainy night, with no raincoat provided.
Very, very unlikely to happen with QR - I wouldn't worry!
Old Oct 22, 2016, 3:48 pm

Right, never heard or could imagine an international A388 flight be treated this way.

But what if in extreme weather conditions, all gates been occupied due to not able to fly, and an A380 landed as the condition just start to get better......
Old Oct 22, 2016, 4:47 pm

Ausriver under such extraordinary circumstances then of course it could happen. But it is probably preferable to landing at some other airport, such as DWC, miles away.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 8:27 pm

Is there a ladder tall enough for the upper deck of A380?
Old Oct 23, 2016, 4:11 am

Programs: QR Platinum
Is there a ladder tall enough for the upper deck of A380?
Doubt it. Pax would be instructed to walk down to the lower deck and them disembark from there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.