Wiki Posts
Search

Simply put - Impressed!

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2016, 5:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Simply put - Impressed!

So for quite a number of years I have flown BA long haul amongst other one world carriers, with the others being generally better than BA offerings...then I try ex OSL Qatar...first the 787 Dreamliner service to Doha and then the 350 onward to Singapore and then vice versa on return. On all 4 sectors I was pretty much in awe. What a difference in method of service, the detail and the feeling of being a welcome customer compared to that of BA. The seating, the food, the wine and champagne and the little touches were just wonderful...well done Qatar and I look forward in flying Business class again when i can!^
Old May 17, 2016, 6:57 am

Programs: AA, VS, BA
Ditto

Originally Posted by nivsy
So for quite a number of years I have flown BA long haul amongst other one world carriers, with the others being generally better than BA offerings...then I try ex OSL Qatar...first the 787 Dreamliner service to Doha and then the 350 onward to Singapore and then vice versa on return. On all 4 sectors I was pretty much in awe. What a difference in method of service, the detail and the feeling of being a welcome customer compared to that of BA. The seating, the food, the wine and champagne and the little touches were just wonderful...well done Qatar and I look forward in flying Business class again when i can!^
Agreed. I flew Qatar from BRU to CPT via DOH (and return) last November, and was so impressed. All 4 of those legs were on the 787. I have previously flown Virgin UC a number of times, and felt Qatar's service and food was better. Think I still prefer the LHR clubhouse over al Mourjan in DOH, but minor issue really.

In July I am flying BA F for the first time and am actually a bit apprehensive (ok first world problem - but years of savings miles to get there). The seat looks no better than the Qatar J seat. And there are some non too promising discussions on the BA page at the moment.

But then in November back on Qatar from BHX - PER.
Old May 17, 2016, 8:25 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by nivsy
Hahahaha, Whatever you do, Don't mention any of this on the BA forum......They get a little upset at the mere suggestion that there could be a better airline out there :-)

I'm really looking forward to my next QR biz fight, AMS-DOH-BKK, 28th May. Qatar are in a different league to BA.
Old May 17, 2016, 10:40 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by capin
Qatar are in a different league to BA.
Yep. QR doesn't have to make a profit
Old May 17, 2016, 10:44 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
snipped (legal)

Last edited by IBobi; Jul 1, 2016 at 2:42 pm Reason: legal
Old May 17, 2016, 10:49 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
[snip]

If you wish to make political comments, please use the OMNI.

M

Last edited by IBobi; Jul 7, 2016 at 1:06 pm Reason: legal
Old May 17, 2016, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Deleted by request

I would like to publicly apologise for my previous comments in this thread and express my wish to fully retract them.

Last edited by Sixth Freedom; Jul 1, 2016 at 5:28 am
Old May 17, 2016, 2:47 pm
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
If you wish to make political comments, please use the OMNI.

M
While I don't necessarily fully agree with ajeleonard's second point (I have direct personal experience of working in Qatar, although not for QR), I don't see any reason why it should not be posted within this thread. His first point is certainly highly relevant (as I also highlighted). There are a number of reasons as to why QR has competitive advantage over other airlines, which is the essence of this thread.

You make a great contribution to this forum, but just because you don't agree with something doesn't mean you should tell someone to go elsewhere.
Old May 17, 2016, 3:07 pm

Programs: BA Silver
[snip]

1. I'm not bothered whether QR make a profit of not. I'm concerned with safety, punctuality, service, personal space, catering, wine list. pjs and slippers, but not whether they make money.

2. If I felt or there was irrefutable evidence that any organization were mistreating their staff, I would boycott them. I've seen nothing to suggest this is the case at QR.

Last edited by IBobi; Jul 7, 2016 at 1:07 pm Reason: legal
Old May 17, 2016, 4:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP
OK I dont see the little touches but QR have a far superior hardware and software to all OW members. It remains the best way to redeem.
Old May 17, 2016, 4:31 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
My comment was more so as a general warning, as I have seen similar threads turn political - hence I wanted to nip the issue in the bud before it veered that way. I think it is important to differentiate between QR and the State of Qatar.

In terms of the comments since, I agree with those of Sixth Freedom, gms and capin.

I have spent time working in Qatar, as well as other areas of the Middle East. I also have many (15+) friends who work for QR in a variety of roles.

Of the friends working for QR, some have been there for over 3 years, and some less than 3 months. However, none have horror stories, and none of them have encountered human rights issues. Do they have challenging moments in their jobs? Sure, but who doesn't. Do they feel like second-class citizens? Not at all.

M
Old May 17, 2016, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by stagsfan
In July I am flying BA F for the first time and am actually a bit apprehensive (ok first world problem - but years of savings miles to get there). The seat looks no better than the Qatar J seat.
There's a reason that it looks no better than the QR J seat. I like QR J much better than BA F.

1. I'm not bothered whether QR make a profit of not. I'm concerned with safety, punctuality, service, personal space, catering, wine list. pjs and slippers, but not whether they make money.
Exactly. The airline's profitability, like that of any business I patronize, is not my problem.

There are lots of places where people can be fired for making a mistake, even minor ones. If you're going to pick on Qatar for this, make sure that you include the rest of them, too. And please let me know when you finish typing them. I'll expect to hear back in a few days.

SNIP

Again, assuming that the allegation is true, good thing that Qatar is the only place in the world where there's corruption. We know, for example, that there's no corruption in the U.S. with unions.

SNIP

Again, I would imagine that it's not that different from many other countries where the cultural differences are great.

Last edited by IBobi; Jul 7, 2016 at 1:07 pm Reason: legal
Old May 18, 2016, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
That's a fine list, but I just wondered how you assess safety?

The underlying concern about an airline not making money, is that there will, sooner or later, be pressure to cut costs, improve efficiency. QR has already cut back on its largesse in the softer areas immediately discernible to customers: the worry has to be what corners might be cut in less visible sectors of the airline's operations.

2. If I felt or there was irrefutable evidence that any organization were mistreating their staff, I would boycott them. I've seen nothing to suggest this is the case at QR.
There's been plenty to suggest that some categories of staff have not been treated at all well. Of course this is refuted by the carrier, and other interested parties: so I guess there'll be no boycott

Just a couple of references suggesting all is not well:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...nant-employees

http://www.itfglobal.org/en/news-eve...orld-alliance/

and, for fairness, the airline refuting the calumny:

http://dohanews.co/qatar-airways-ans...le-cabin-crew/
Old May 18, 2016, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH

Exactly. The airline's profitability, like that of any business I patronize, is not my problem.
It might not be a problem, but you could have real and legitimate concerns if you are aware of financial tensions within any business you grace with your custom.

Suppliers on the skids are unlikely to honour guarantees, restaurants on thin margins can be tempted to cut corners, travel companies heading for the rocks can strand you overseas, airlines in similar straights .... well, who knows ?
Old May 18, 2016, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
It might not be a problem, but you could have real and legitimate concerns if you are aware of financial tensions within any business you grace with your custom.

Suppliers on the skids are unlikely to honour guarantees, restaurants on thin margins can be tempted to cut corners, travel companies heading for the rocks can strand you overseas, airlines in similar straights .... well, who knows ?
Well, that's just it. As long as QR (or any business I patronize) is doing what it's supposed to, I don't care. And if it's not, I don't particularly care why, -- I'll find a substitute provider.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.