Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Baggage Allowance in J for OWS

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2016, 1:23 am
Original Poster

Baggage Allowance in J for OWS

Travelling with QR in J in a few weeks and am a OWS (BA Silver). Am I entitled to the 40kg that QR provides or do I get additional allowance as a OWS? The OW website refers to 15kg in addition to the ticketed Economy allowance. Does this mean I get 45kg? Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 2:14 am

flyingnovice your baggage allowance is shown on your ticket/Itinerary. It can also be seen on CheckMyTrip under flight details.
This is your basic allowance the additional weight due to OW status is to be added to this basic amount. Thus your allowance should be 55kgs.

However be aware that this applies to the weight baggage concept only. There are other rules for the piece concept.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 2:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by remdk
flyingnovice your baggage allowance is shown on your ticket/Itinerary. It can also be seen on CheckMyTrip under flight details.
This is your basic allowance the additional weight due to OW status is to be added to this basic amount. Thus your allowance should be 55kgs.

However be aware that this applies to the weight baggage concept only. There are other rules for the piece concept.
Thanks remdk. Both itinerary and CheckMyTrip show 40kg but I wasn't sure how the additional allowance due to OW status was applied. Flying LHR-DOH-SIN on this trip, so interested in the weight allowance concept.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 2:54 am

Programs: The Embassy
Also worth noting that there is a maximal weight per bag of 32kg, and they will make you repack it!
Old Jan 11, 2016, 6:30 am

Programs: HH D,CC,SPG,AZ: Gold;BA Silver, TK Elite
Originally Posted by zebrametalevel
Also worth noting that there is a maximal weight per bag of 32kg, and they will make you repack it!
Yup, once I was behind a gentleman who was a highly-ranked staff member with a 36kg piece of luggage at LHR. The guy had to repack, not after force shoutings and threats to the staff
Old Jan 12, 2016, 5:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
It's my understanding that OWS would be allowed an extra 15 KG (i.e. 40 + 15). Of course, this would be distributed in more than one bag to meet the 32 KG/piece limit.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 6:53 pm

Programs: The Embassy
Originally Posted by papyPiHi
force shoutings and threats to the staff
I suspect this would have worked in Doha or Bangkok :-)
Old Jan 25, 2016, 5:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Does the OWS +15kg additional baggage allowance apply to everyone on the booking? I'm OWS (BA Silver) and my wife and I have just booked J to SYD from EDI, so, would we both get 55kg?
Old Jan 25, 2016, 6:13 pm

stephenjc my experience is that the OWS baggage allowance applies to the status member only.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by remdk
stephenjc my experience is that the OWS baggage allowance applies to the status member only.
Thanks for that. I think we'll be fine with 40kg each, but when taking bikes, it's always good to have a little spare....
Old Jan 26, 2016, 8:24 am

well according to this it's 55kg http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...owance-qr.html

Stephen.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 10:10 am

Programs: BA Blue
Originally Posted by stephenjc
well according to this it's 55kg http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...owance-qr.html

Stephen.
As the OP in that thread I can confirm I have merrily plied RGN-DOH-LHR and back a few times with 55-60kg. Originally as BA silver (Saphire) and now as QR Platinum (Emerald).

The only trouble I had (and it was resolved by the station manager) was when I first wanted to switch my earn to Qatar but take advantage of my BA status. Computer said no. Station manager realised that I was about to become a regular and waived it through.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.