Community
Wiki Posts
Search

787: What's the deal with Row 6?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2015, 3:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
787: What's the deal with Row 6?

So, I was on a DOH-AMS flight recently and I had seat 1F (on a side note I'm 99.9% certain I booked seat 1K and had been moved for some reason). Anyway, on boarding a man with a baby sat in 1K, and his wife and other child said "Ok we'll head back to our seats." Clearly I was splitting up a family, so I offered to switch seats, and they were very pleased (I'd hope someone would do the same for me, so I have no problem doing this for a family to sit together).

However, it turned out that the lady's seat was in Row 6, that weird little pair between the toilets.

Never again.

What's the point of those seats? You get people from Y ploughing through the curtains constantly to use the J toilets (and pinch chocs off the little bar bit). Plus every time someone flushes the toilet it sounds like its being sucked right through your seat. I'm a heavy sleeper and even so, there's no way I could have slept (luckily it was a day flight). Also, despite the crew's best efforts, it's still very easy to be overlooked back there in those seats.

So... Why are they there? What were they thinking, designing it that way?
Old Nov 18, 2015, 4:13 am

Programs: QF QR Silver, DJ,TG,MH
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
What's the point of those seats? You get people from Y ploughing through the curtains constantly to use the J toilets (and pinch chocs off the little bar bit). Plus every time someone flushes the toilet it sounds like its being sucked right through your seat. I'm a heavy sleeper and even so, there's no way I could have slept (luckily it was a day flight). Also, despite the crew's best efforts, it's still very easy to be overlooked back there in those seats.

So... Why are they there? What were they thinking, designing it that way?
You nailed it.
You were suppose to be guarding the chocs from the Y passengers
Old Nov 18, 2015, 5:52 am

Programs: BA Gold
We had the same seats but the crew did not allow econ.passengers in. We named the seat "the Stadler and Waldorf seat"
Old Nov 18, 2015, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Well I was calling it "The Toilet Attendant's" seat after 6 hours...
Old Nov 18, 2015, 3:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Subcard
It's also noticeably louder at row 6 even without the toilets being flushed. On my flight last week whilst waiting to use the toilet a couple were complaining about the noise level compared to the other seats and the crew member completely misunderstood and replied with "yes this aircraft is known for being so quiet".

I have no idea why they went with the idea of the two seats in row 6, they really are awful.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
There are essentially three options:

i) use the space as they have or...

...remove the two extra large J class lavs, sacrificing some galley space at the front for replacement facilities at the expense of being less able to deliver a complex service and then either...

ii) add 2x extra J seats

iii) redesignate the space as Y.

Which do you prefer?
Old Nov 19, 2015, 3:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
There are essentially three options:

i) use the space as they have or...

...remove the two extra large J class lavs, sacrificing some galley space at the front for replacement facilities at the expense of being less able to deliver a complex service and then either...

ii) add 2x extra J seats

iii) redesignate the space as Y.

Which do you prefer?
Unless they were put there with nothing more than crew travel in mind (and in fairness until this point I've only ever seen crew in them) then I expect them to consider things like toilet noise when placing any business class seat in a cabin.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 4:59 am

Programs: BA Exec Club; Gold
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Unless they were put there with nothing more than crew travel in mind (and in fairness until this point I've only ever seen crew in them) then I expect them to consider things like toilet noise when placing any business class seat in a cabin.
Coming back from DPS to DOH in October, the crew were using 1A as a rest seat next to me in 1E.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 10:41 am

Programs: QR Plat (ret)
My preferred seat on 787 is 1A, but I have done this seat once when travelling with a friend (usually a solo traveller). We actually found it kinda cool, private and exclusive back there, but also noticed the comfort room traffic from the back.

I'd like to take the half full approach to this issue and appreciate that it's not me who is experiencing my trip's pivotal moment while taking a dump in the J loo.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 4:29 pm

Programs: Meow Mix
Hi Guys,

Anyone have an opinion on 4A? Have this currently selected for one of my flights - could you see the wing / engine from this seat if you lean forward enough?

/AE
Old Oct 25, 2016, 2:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
Originally Posted by angeloedades
Hi Guys,

Anyone have an opinion on 4A? Have this currently selected for one of my flights - could you see the wing / engine from this seat if you lean forward enough?

/AE
Are you left or right handed? Dependent on that, It might have an adverse effect on your hand to mouth for the Champagne?

It could be worst, I currently have the pleasure of sitting in 5k for an upcoming trip. I believe this is windowless window seat?
Old Oct 25, 2016, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by angeloedades
Hi Guys,

/AE
The best view of the wing and engine is from the loo with the window blind open
Old Oct 25, 2016, 2:59 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR/LTG
Originally Posted by d3vski
Are you left or right handed? Dependent on that, It might have an adverse effect on your hand to mouth for the Champagne?

It could be worst, I currently have the pleasure of sitting in 5k for an upcoming trip. I believe this is windowless window seat?
I've just got off a flight sitting in 5K. There is one window next to the TV screen, and you can see out of it. If you want the full window seat experience, choose a seat further forward if you can? These seats have two windows.

It didn't bother me. I just drank a bit, and then went to sleep.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by Johnnieboy
The best view of the wing and engine is from the loo with the window blind open
How does one book a loo seat?
Old Oct 25, 2016, 3:36 pm

Programs: Meow Mix
Oh you guys! I am right handed when it comes to drinking champagne. I think 4A should suffice.

/AE

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.