Wiki Posts
Search

Free transit hotel doha

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2015, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold IHG Plat SAA Voyager Alaska Airlines
Free transit hotel doha

Have never flown QR and does anybody know which hotel they use for J passengers.

How far is it from the airport and how long does it take?

Do you have to take all your luggage or just carry on?

Are you better off staying at the Airport Transit hotel in spite of the cost?

Layover is 10hrs.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 12:13 pm

I'm curious to know this as well. I thought they didn't provide transit hotels anymore.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 10:57 am

Programs: SK Diamond, QR Platinum, AA Platinum, BA Silver, IHG Gold Ambassador
For J passengers you will be accomodated at the Oryx Rotana. The drive is about 15 minutes unless there is traffic.

You can only take your carry-on luggage.

If you stay at the Airport Transit Hotel I would estimate you would get close to 2 hours of extra sleep. Never stayed there, so can't say anything about the quality of it.

Oryx Rotana is a nice and quiet hotel, nothing special. Got a pool, but have only used this hotel for sleeping so have tried none of the facilities.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 11:39 am

Programs: QR Platinum; A3 Gold
Oryx Rotana is a very nice hotel for stoppver. Not too far from airport, not too far from city (Souq Waqif). Each about 15 mins drive. Taxi fare to and from Souq Waqif costs 20 Riyal as flat fare (tourist fare, guess cheaper by meter.) According to hotel staff it should even cost around 10~15 Riyal only.

A few different restaurants to choose from. In the evening there is even a young beautiful pianist playing non-stop western pops (ranged from '70s to '10s) with big ivory grand piano near the middle of the open lobby.

Was chatting with taxi driver, apparently due to very hot weather the city is rather noctunal. Some shops normally open between 8am till 12pm, then 4pm till 9pm~10pm. Some shops are open even till 3am ~ 4am, though one driver claimed that Souq Waqif is 24hr opened. So the timing of stopover should also be considered if planning for downtown sightseeing.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold IHG Plat SAA Voyager Alaska Airlines
Smile

Thanks for all the information

Think in this instance will try the Oryx hotel as it seems close to the airport.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 4:09 pm

Programs: EBS, EY Gold Eite, EK Gold, QR Platinum, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by twoclubs

Think in this instance will try the Oryx hotel as it seems close to the airport.
As your threadline is "free transit..." i take it you are eligible and plan to go for STPC. In that case you will have no choice but to take what QR give you. Most likely it will be Oryx, but in some cases it could also be Moevenpick or the HIA airside hotel.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 2:02 pm

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Oryx Rotana for J class,traveling in November.Do they have a transfer included or I have to go by taxi?
Old Aug 9, 2015, 5:29 am

Programs: SK Diamond, QR Platinum, AA Platinum, BA Silver, IHG Gold Ambassador
Originally Posted by Jaenks
Oryx Rotana for J class,traveling in November.Do they have a transfer included or I have to go by taxi?
Transfer is included.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 10:46 am

Question Which hotel for economy pax?

Any insights as to which hotels tend to get economy transit passengers these days? I would not mind taking up QR on the offer, but then there are some less than flattering reviews on TA about this.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 12:13 pm

Programs: QR Platinum; A3 Gold
I had a STPC a few days ago as Economy passenger booked in S fare class. I was given Oryx Rotana.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 6:03 am

My transit in Doha is 8 hours but I'm not entitled to STPC.
I'm travelling in business class would i be entitled to accommodation at a reduced rate?
Old Aug 18, 2015, 6:23 am

Programs: EBS, EY Gold Eite, EK Gold, QR Platinum, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by nbtest
My transit in Doha is 8 hours but I'm not entitled to STPC.
I'm travelling in business class would i be entitled to accommodation at a reduced rate?
No.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by twoclubs

Most of my J experience which includes STPC already has the hotel name in the form. Check this with the local ticketing office. For economy passengers, you'll know the assigned hotel to you only at the Transfer Desk.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 8:20 am

Programs: LH Silver, BA Silver, EY Silver, GHA Platinum
I just got a complimentary voucher for the Oryx Rotana as I have an 8h layover but I am thinking of just biting the bullet and reserving the incredibly overpriced Airport Hotel in Doha just so I can maximise my sleeping time and not going through immigration and all of that hassle. Has anyone asked QR to exchange the Oryx Rotana for a discount voucher at the Airport Hotel ;-) ?
Old Aug 20, 2015, 9:19 am

Usually I have more "request" pwer when I fly J so just call your local ticket office. ;-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.