Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reconfigured 2-class 346 from 01JUL15

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2015, 5:45 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Originally Posted by wavery83
Wow....really? I've never had a decent experience on a A340 which includes Virgin, Cathay, Lan Chile & QR J. I really don't like them. I would hope the 787 would be a much more pleasant experience - bigger windows & air quality.

I have noticed a couple of comments on forums re. limited space on the 787s though. Oh dear
Sorry - it's all about personal space and comfort. If the 787 operators had ordered with the 2-4-2 seating formation intended rather than 3-3-3 they would be fine (the entertainment box is an issue for many seats).

However, QR have kept 3-3-3 in their 777's, and their A350 & A380's are excellent in economy, and overall I rate them the best economy class carrier in the world. But will avoid their 787's even if it means booking a different carrier at more money...

I think when discussing Economy Class the smaller things are more important as it tends to be about space and comfort. Whereas reading flyertalk (especially the BA forum!) the discussions I deem irrelevant (do we still get chocolates, what champers are they serving!). But if a neutral was to read this forum it would appear 90% of the flights taken are in Business / First (but i'm here championing Economy Class!).
Old Jul 3, 2015, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by Sam Bee
Sorry - it's all about personal space and comfort. If the 787 operators had ordered with the 2-4-2 seating formation intended rather than 3-3-3 they would be fine (the entertainment box is an issue for many seats).

However, QR have kept 3-3-3 in their 777's, and their A350 & A380's are excellent in economy, and overall I rate them the best economy class carrier in the world. But will avoid their 787's even if it means booking a different carrier at more money...

I think when discussing Economy Class the smaller things are more important as it tends to be about space and comfort. Whereas reading flyertalk (especially the BA forum!) the discussions I deem irrelevant (do we still get chocolates, what champers are they serving!). But if a neutral was to read this forum it would appear 90% of the flights taken are in Business / First (but i'm here championing Economy Class!).
Totally agree! I have been lucky to fly business only v recently and not on business but I'd rather fly a lot less and save rather than being penned in there.

That said, you raise good points. Have a 2 seat config on the sides is a godsend when travelling as a pair. It goes as far as tactically booking either side of the middle to avoid a fellow pax but I've never risked that especially when most flights are over capacity. So the A330s and A340s are good options for that. I've preferred the A330s though.

My best legroom experience in economy was the old American 777 but I think they took the extra pitch away a long time ago?
Old Jul 3, 2015, 11:06 am

Can anyone confirm that the new config A346 with 24J seats do definetly have the new horizontal business class seats as used on the reconfigured A330s and A320s? Anyone a picture maybe?
Old Jul 15, 2015, 12:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK*Elite+, EBD, FBG, EKS, IHG Royal Ambassador
I flew with this new cabin today (yesterday now I guess...) from KUL to DOH on QR847. The CC said the cabin was about a week old. I didn't take any pictures unfortunately.

The seats look like a secret love child between TKs 777 business seats and QRs 787 business seats. They are better than the old cabin but not as good as the 787 cabin if you ask me. I have searched for pictures but haven't been able to find any online. They are not the same seats as shown in the link of the a330 refurbish thread here.

One note though, make sure you get row 1, because the room for your feet is a lot more there than the others. At least on the windows sides, both aisle and window. I didn't really see the middle seats on row 1 to be able to determine, but I would assume it's the same there.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 4:25 pm

I posted links to photos of the reconfigured A333/A346 product in the "Complete Fleet Guide" sticky. Its the BE Diamond seat, Fully Flat, 2-2-2 configuration so no direct aisle access.

here is an instagram video of the A346
Old Jul 16, 2015, 9:34 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
What are the odds of this coming back to LHR?

I have an upcoming trip on QR sold as an AA codeshare. Booked through orbitz. My flight is QR10 which shows on AA.com and orbitz as a 77W, but when I imported the trip into TripCase (aka Sabre) it shows as a A346. Maybe just a glitch. Checked earlier today on QR.com and it said "Seatmap unavailable." Just put the QR PNR into Checkmytrip (aka Amadeus) and it is shows the leg as waitlisted. Just checked QR.com and it confirms the waitlist and still shows "Seatmap unavailable." Currently on hold with orbitz.

Orbitz believes QR is "messing with" the trip, but they are closed so I need to call back tomorrow.

Last edited by skunker; Jul 16, 2015 at 10:00 pm
Old Jul 18, 2015, 9:29 am

Like the look of these although the screens look a bit close to each other. To us travel couples this looks like a great combo of the 777 and 787!
Old Jul 18, 2015, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
According to Qatar's seat map, the seats are 165-degree angled seats, NOT flat bed seats.
http://www.qatarairways.com/iwov-res...0166-REV-3.pdf
Old Jul 18, 2015, 2:07 pm

SJC AA,

That is the old configuration. Unfortunatley QR's fleet page and seat maps are outdated. For example the 228, 232 and 272 seat A330-200 configurations no longer exist but are still on SeatGuru and QR.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by N1Rotate
SJC AA,

That is the old configuration. Unfortunatley QR's fleet page and seat maps are outdated. For example the 228, 232 and 272 seat A330-200 configurations no longer exist but are still on SeatGuru and QR.
I don't think so... the old configuration had F seats and more than 4 rows of J...
Old Jul 18, 2015, 3:52 pm

SJC-AA

The A340-600 came with 8F/42J/216Y, then a few years back the inflight bar/lounge was removed and it became 8F/42J/256Y. Both these configurations had the B/E Minipod seats at a 165 angle.

This year the A346 started being reconfigured, 1 is done, 1 is undergoing the reconfig and by October they will all be done. Full flat BE Diamond Seats 24J/348Y.

Originally Posted by SJC AA
I don't think so... the old configuration had F seats and more than 4 rows of J...
I am referring to the seat map you linked which, at least on my computer, shows the old 3-class configuration.

Last edited by N1Rotate; Jul 18, 2015 at 4:01 pm
Old Jul 18, 2015, 8:36 pm

You're totally right. My apologies. I could have sworn it had the new configuration before, but either it changed or I was an idiot!
Old Jul 27, 2015, 7:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK*Elite+, EBD, FBG, EKS, IHG Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by N1Rotate
I posted links to photos of the reconfigured A333/A346 product in the "Complete Fleet Guide" sticky. Its the BE Diamond seat, Fully Flat, 2-2-2 configuration so no direct aisle access.

here is an instagram video of the A346
Edit: I am still waking up. That is the new config. I see it on the tables, which are a bit different.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 9:18 am

Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic
Originally Posted by SJC AA
According to Qatar's seat map, the seats are 165-degree angled seats, NOT flat bed seats.
http://www.qatarairways.com/iwov-res...0166-REV-3.pdf
The QR seat maps for the A330-200 3 versions also do not show the version I got today on QR 815 between HKG and DOH, i.e. fully flat seats 6 abreast with only 3 rows between the front 2 doors and a 4th row aft of the door just ahead of Economy.

Although I am in a mood where I strongly criticize QR these days for several justified reasons, I must say that I found the seat extremely comfortable and even more so than the B 787 seat. This may however be due to the fact that I had nobody seated next to me.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 9:57 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by skunker
What are the odds of this coming back to LHR?

I have an upcoming trip on QR sold as an AA codeshare. Booked through orbitz. My flight is QR10 which shows on AA.com and orbitz as a 77W, but when I imported the trip into TripCase (aka Sabre) it shows as a A346. Maybe just a glitch. Checked earlier today on QR.com and it said "Seatmap unavailable." Just put the QR PNR into Checkmytrip (aka Amadeus) and it is shows the leg as waitlisted. Just checked QR.com and it confirms the waitlist and still shows "Seatmap unavailable." Currently on hold with orbitz.

Orbitz believes QR is "messing with" the trip, but they are closed so I need to call back tomorrow.
To follow up with this. Yes, the 346 is coming back to the LHR route on QR10, but not until 10/1. It doesn't appear to be the reconfigured 2-class version though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.