Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why does QR need payment verification?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2016, 1:29 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I paid for my AMS-DOH-BKK last year with my CC. My surname is apostrophized and I think that QR had great problems with this. I think the res system could take the apostrophe but the CC system could not. QR put me through the wringer threatening to cancel my booking unless I sent them a CC statement with my address on it, but like others on this site I use an online CC company and my address does not appear on my statement. After many conversations, QR realized that I was the actual passenger and they relented and let me present the CC at AMS.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 4:01 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
Great, thanks for the feedback Often1 and remdk!
Old Apr 6, 2019, 6:49 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF Gold
Sorry for reviving an old thread, I’m just really annoyed by this:

I originally booked CGK-DOH-LHR on QR in J through the QR website and everything went through smoothly. No request for CC verification afterwards, although the card was issued in SG.

A few days later I had to change the return so that it would start in AMS instead. I called up QR and they processed the change, asking for my CC details over the phone, which I surely gave. The change was effected successfully.

Woe was me when I checked my booking on the QR website, as suddenly a message appeared in red saying that CC verification was needed. However, apparently one option was just to present my CC at check-in, which I was happy to do.

Fast forward to the day of travel, and 2.5h before my flight I get a call from QR ground staff reminding me to bring my CC along for verification. Fine, I say, I’ve got it on me.

At the check-in desk, the lady asks to see my card, which I hand over to her. Then she asks me to fill in a long “QR credit card verification form” which requires to leave your billing address, card details (Middle 10 Numbers showing as XXX...), etc. Then they ask to take a payment of IDR1,000 to “verify” my card! By that time, I’ve run out of most of my patience, and I vociferously complain, asking what the exact need is for taking another payment. No reply other than “These are QR’s rules, not mine”. Still, I agree to all of the above as I want to fly and not jeopardise my seat.

Reflecting on all of this, I still find it rather ridiculous and unnecessary. As some people upthread have said, it is really off-putting and will factor into my decision making process when buying flights in the future. If the pricing is comparable on other airlines that I like, I may give them precedence over QR next time. I realise that in the grand scheme of things this CC verification is a small matter, but these little nuisances add up. I fly a lot, and very often on Asian airlines, but this is the first time in years that such an issue has cropped up, so it is not exactly as if this was common practice in this part of the world - or if it is, at least I have not been subjected to it in a very long time.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 12:34 am

Programs: BAEC
At least you were able to board your flight, however annoying the experience, many others cannot when their card has changed or they do not have it with them.

I see this as an increasing issue and although payments that go through 3d secure are supposed to be immune to this I have heard other examples recently when that has not been the case. QR are certainly not alone in requiring this, and as far as I understand things it is due to anti fraud measures required by the card brands at a global level (Visa, MasterCard) rather than individual countries, although some airlines clearly do not require the verification.

This can be one area where paying on the airline website via a third party payment processor (PayPal, Alipay, WeChat, etc) where the card number is hidden from the airline can be very useful as they have no concern to validate a card number and the contract for payment from the card is not directly with them. The other option is to purchase via a third party OTA where the whole transaction is with a third party although that has other disadvantages.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 6:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, KrisFlyer Elite Gold, HHonors Diamond
Reviving this thread once again since I also had to deal with some of the issues mentioned above.

Booked ARN-DOH-HKG rt with my German VISA, received a mail asking for payment verification one day after. Even though this was a waste of time and caused hassle (and I don't even get their point in requesting these things) I filled in and uploaded everything I was asked for, including passport, original credit card statement from Barclaycard.

Now I received QRs answer:

Thank you, however the card statement provided is not suffice to complete the credit card verification

Since the cardholder is also the passenger, you may verify your card at time of check-in, just ensure to carry your credit card on you date of travel

This is really getting on my nerves. Does it mean that I have to be present at QRs check-in desk to show my card once again and go through the process as described by NetJets Germany? Would be very helpful being able to at least finalize the online check-in in advance. Any experiences here?
Old Dec 9, 2019, 5:46 am

Programs: United MP, Qatar Privilege, Lufthansa
Originally Posted by ToKo
Reviving this thread once again since I also had to deal with some of the issues mentioned above.

Booked ARN-DOH-HKG rt with my German VISA, received a mail asking for payment verification one day after. Even though this was a waste of time and caused hassle (and I don't even get their point in requesting these things) I filled in and uploaded everything I was asked for, including passport, original credit card statement from Barclaycard.

Now I received QRs answer:

This is really getting on my nerves. Does it mean that I have to be present at QRs check-in desk to show my card once again and go through the process as described by NetJets Germany? Would be very helpful being able to at least finalize the online check-in in advance. Any experiences here?
I get that fraud detection is a good thing, but the way Qatar handles it is quite ridiculous. As someone said earlier in this thread, Qatar is a fantastic onboard experience. Everything else about it is Third World.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by ToKo
This is really getting on my nerves. Does it mean that I have to be present at QRs check-in desk to show my card once again and go through the process as described by NetJets Germany? Would be very helpful being able to at least finalize the online check-in in advance.
Originally Posted by agtoau
I get that fraud detection is a good thing, but the way Qatar handles it is quite ridiculous.
You may consider it ridiculous; but it's not uncommon in Asia. For example, I fly UL ex-BKK several times/year. UL requires that the physical credit card used to pay for the ticket be presented at checkin at the airport. Once I grabbed the wrong card on my way out the door. It took quite some time on the phone with various levels of people at AMEX before UL would let me fly without purchasing a new ticket.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 7:29 am

Yes, sometimes UL is trickier, as especially the outstations staffed by non-UL people ask to see the physical credit card - although this has been mainly for payments made on an AMEX in my experience. Thankfully, UL does offer a "Release and Indemnity Form" which can be downloaded from their website and used to prove that you are the named person on the card (you have to submit photocopies of your ID documents). At the end of the process, you get an email stating that you don't need to present the card at check in. Maybe Qatar should offer a similar facility.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.