Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why does QR need payment verification?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2015, 6:13 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I remain confused about the purpose of forwarding the credit card "statement".

I'm looking at the most recent statement of the credit card I use for most travel purchases, and it continues to baffle me of why exactly they need to see this. I'm sure that different card companies have different print layouts etc. but this one displays, among other things, ticket numbers and other specifics of purchased airline tickets, reservation numbers for hotel bookings, names and addresses of restaurants eaten at, etc. etc.. Surely this information was not intended to be publicly available to direct competitors (QR is an active and aggressive purchaser of hotels and restaurants, in addition to being a global airline.]

I would think that any potential "fraud prevention" is mightily outweighed by the risk of forwarding such personal information 1. over the internet, and 2. to a commercial enterprise that in many cases is a direct competitor to the places where I currently do business.

I've never before heard of such a request, and again ask whether the word "statement" might mean something different to QR?
Old Mar 18, 2015, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Why don't you just book using an OTA than wasting time with QR's "fraud verification" department?
Old Mar 19, 2015, 1:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold,, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by holtju2
Why don't you just book using an OTA than wasting time with QR's "fraud verification" department?
Not all of us have access to an OTA. I did try looking up the fare on expedia.co.uk but couldn't find it. I called a TA in London who quoted me a ridiculous price. I don't know where else I could try.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 1:18 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by jbalmuth
I remain confused about the purpose of forwarding the credit card "statement".

I'm looking at the most recent statement of the credit card I use for most travel purchases, and it continues to baffle me of why exactly they need to see this.
To have a match with name and address, I suppose. Probably you could blank the transactions you don't want to be seen.

Originally Posted by holtju2
Personally, I prefer wasting time with "fraud verification" than have to deal with the OTA and not the airline in case of troubles.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 7:35 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Lefly
To have a match with name and address, I suppose.
My point exactly. The only place my address appears is on the payment slip that I would return in the enclosed envelope. The remaining statement does not have my address on it. Is it therefore just that little envelope payment slip that QR are looking for?

Has anyone here ever been asked to forward an entire credit card statement to a 3rd party before, and, if so, can they please explain what they understand it is intended to show, and why they were comfortable in providing it? TIA!
Old Mar 20, 2015, 6:37 am

Programs: KLM, UA, Emirates, Marriotts
I had a similar experience - I booked a ticket for myself and my boyfriend and after a couple of days received this request. I send the documents they wanted and the payment was verified even though:
- I could not send a copy of my passport as I was travelling on my EU ID. Took a pic, uploaded it.
- I am Belgian, living in the NL and authorized user on an American credit card so my statement did not even have my name on it.

I did later send a one-pager which also showed the reservation for the actual trip on it. Within a couple of hours it was approved.
I almost regretted it, a for about 50 euros more I could have flown with Malaysia Airlines in a not so cramped cabin. My fault for raving about finally flying the 787, without realising that QR uses 3-3-3 lay-out...
Old Mar 21, 2015, 2:02 am

Programs: BA Gold IHG Ambassador Spire Shangri La Diamond
I am presuming travelling on a company made booking where I don't have access to that card is not an issue - it wasn't on the way out but checking in in Beijing, land of rules are rules......
Old Mar 21, 2015, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by blindy
Not all of us have access to an OTA. I did try looking up the fare on expedia.co.uk but couldn't find it. I called a TA in London who quoted me a ridiculous price. I don't know where else I could try.
There is no need to book on Expedia.co.uk. I have yet to come across QR fare that would have SITI requirement. Try Expedia.com, Orbitz.com etc.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; LH FT (*A Silver); Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite; Starwood Corporate Preferred
So is it safe to say that if you book thru an OTA (Orbitz, etc) or another airline that connects you to QR, you won't get this "verification" request?

I have a ticket to do DFW-HKG-SIN-DOH-LHR. I ticketed this thru AA with the eventual segment on QR to DOH and then LHR. I did this a few days ago....I haven't been looking for any emails from QR as I wasn't expecting one. I have the AA eTicket confirmation as well as the ticket number....
Old Mar 22, 2015, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Andy49
I booked a AMS-DOH-BKK-DOH-AMS using a UK based credit card and they want to see the credit card at check in. I have flown with Qatar before but didn't need the card for UK departures.
This is common in Asia. I can't recall the last time I flew on TG and didn't have to present my credit card at airport checkin.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 10:18 am

Programs: AA EXP 2 .5 MM
Just a FYI I purchased directly from Qatar website 2 business class tickets on one Citi MasterCard and 2 business class tickets on a different Citi MasterCard for a couple traveling with my wife and I for this coming August Mia to Del return Bom to Mia. I did the purchase 8 days ago. All tickets were issued within 5 minutes. I or our friends have received any email requests for any other information. I have checked the tickets on QR website and all is perfect. Maybe it's that are okay with Citi verification process.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 9:12 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
I have to say, I found this requirement ridiculous, have never been asked for something similar from any other airline. I love that I got a survey request afterward, with all sorts of assurances that my information would remain private - a survey that was generated by their request for me to send my passport and a credit card statement over open email. It's a really poor show and will keep me from booking on their site in the future.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 9:36 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
Holy thread revival Batman!

For what it's worth, I've made a few QR bookings recently and not had to verify my card. All been ticketed OK, will I be asked in the future?
Old Aug 25, 2016, 10:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by obduro
Holy thread revival Batman!

For what it's worth, I've made a few QR bookings recently and not had to verify my card. All been ticketed OK, will I be asked in the future?
There is no way of telling. Some carriers do it more often than others, but most carriers do it sometimes.

It is the product of third-party anti-fraud software which looks at numerous variables. Purchase a ticket in a different currency from your home address, from a station known for high-fraud, for others with different adresses, and even odd IP addresses, and you may find this requirement.

Rare in the West when using CC tied to home/work address, have status, ticket in your name and so on.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 10:12 am

obduro payment verification is just QR clinging to the idea that they can avoid fraud by so doing.

If you pay via a recognised company (TA, OTA, major company or even companies like Paypal, then payment verification is not required. Nor is it required if first flight date is more than six months after purchase date.

So a lot depends upon how you pay for the tickets. It is possible that after a number of transactions your credit card, and you, may be regarded as recognised and thus secure and payment verification dropped. But wait until you get a new/renewed card!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.