Search

Using Q Credits for upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2014, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC

Hi!

I have 100 QCredits at the moment, 40 of which expire at the end of December. I’d like to use them to upgrade from Y to J, although I’m having trouble finding the T&C for doing this.

I have a GYD-DOH-LHR flight booked for next month, but I’ve tried a few times online to upgrade to J, but each time been told email that there are no seats available, and to try again at a later date. I’m flying on the A380 just before Christmas. I can see that there are no J seats available to book with QMiles. I presume the two availabilities go hand in hand? As a last resort, I’ll try and upgrade in the lounge in DOH.

Assuming I can’t use them Qcredits for this trip I will try and use them for another trip to Asia next year (booking this year before the Qcredits expire). Is there any way to tell before I book if the flight I want to use Qcredits to upgrade on has availability? If there are standard J seats available for miles, I assume you can upgrade? What about “x2 mile” rewards? Also, what economy fares are eligible to upgrade from?

Thanks for any help!
Old Nov 25, 2014, 5:41 pm

Programs: QR G, EY G, TK S, VA R
Dreaming trying to redeem on the A380 in J. I've tried various dates over the course of the next 12 months (often in low-season) and see no availability. Plenty on the 319 service though.

My suspicion is, they have a different policy for redemption classes by aircraft type.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 6:31 pm

Call the PC club hotline and they will advise you on the dates
Old Nov 26, 2014, 2:40 pm

Programs: HHon Diamond, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, TG Gold, QR Plat, OZ Gold, AF Silver, Hertz #1 Gold, Priority Pass

How does one actually acquire 100 Qcredits? I thought they expire every year and as a Plat you get 60...?
Old Nov 26, 2014, 7:32 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by EzzerBKK
How does one actually acquire 100 Qcredits? I thought they expire every year and as a Plat you get 60...?
I had 100 qcredits this year - requalified for Gold so got 40, and then hit Platinum shortly afterwards (on the 12-month qpoints calculation) with another 60 awarded then. Now need to work out how to spend the ones I have left
Old Nov 27, 2014, 2:20 am
Original Poster

Indeed, I qualified for Gold, the Platinum this year.

Does anyone know what the redemption rates are for Qcredits for upgrades? It looks like Y>J for DOH-LHR is 40 credits. Any idea for DOH>Australia?
Old Nov 27, 2014, 4:10 am

Programs: QR Platinum
To know how many Qcredits are needed:
Choose "My calculator".
And then Qcalculator.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 3:26 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: QR Privilege Club Gold; Accor LeClub Platinum
Originally Posted by shefgab
Indeed, I qualified for Gold, the Platinum this year.

Does anyone know what the redemption rates are for Qcredits for upgrades? It looks like Y>J for DOH-LHR is 40 credits. Any idea for DOH>Australia?
One thing to note: segments don't add up linearly! I found many cases where Europe-DOH + DOH-Asia is >40 qcredits, but looking for the same destinations Europe-Asia directly is only 40 qcredits.

However, finding availability on two connecting flights is distinctively harder than on one..
Old Nov 27, 2014, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by zehbra
One thing to note: segments don't add up linearly! I found many cases where Europe-DOH + DOH-Asia is >40 qcredits, but looking for the same destinations Europe-Asia directly is only 40 qcredits.

However, finding availability on two connecting flights is distinctively harder than on one..
Yep, the best example I've found of this is LHR-DOH = 25 qcredits, DOH-HKG = 35 qcredits. However LHR-HKG (via DOH) = 40 qcredits. Significant advantage if you can find a connecting itinerary with availability on both legs.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 12:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by purple1addict
Yep, the best example I've found of this is LHR-DOH = 25 qcredits, DOH-HKG = 35 qcredits. However LHR-HKG (via DOH) = 40 qcredits. Significant advantage if you can find a connecting itinerary with availability on both legs.
That seems suitably random and unfathomable!
Old Nov 29, 2014, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shefgab
That seems suitably random and unfathomable!
I feel the same way.

If flying with business class tickets and as a Platinum QR member- what is the best use of Q credits? I have not been able to find one.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
I feel the same way.

If flying with business class tickets and as a Platinum QR member- what is the best use of Q credits? I have not been able to find one.
You can try to upgrade to F if you ever fly any routes with F (LHR, CDG, BKK from 5 Dec) or otherwise use them to pay for excess baggage charges (not that you're ever likely to need to with the J plus Platinum baggage allowance!!!). Not sure there's much else really...
Old Nov 30, 2014, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by purple1addict
You can try to upgrade to F if you ever fly any routes with F (LHR, CDG, BKK from 5 Dec) or otherwise use them to pay for excess baggage charges (not that you're ever likely to need to with the J plus Platinum baggage allowance!!!). Not sure there's much else really...
Right- I was thinking about BKK however it seems the process to actually secure an upgrade is somewhat akin to picking all the Lotto winning numbers on a scantron form with a blindfold on.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 3:37 am

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Right- I was thinking about BKK however it seems the process to actually secure an upgrade is somewhat akin to picking all the Lotto winning numbers on a scantron form with a blindfold on.
Hahaha - indeed

Maybe give the Privilege Club priority line a call and see if they can tell you which flights (if any...) have availability. Let us know if you get anywhere!
Old Nov 30, 2014, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA1KMM, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, EY Gold, QR Gold
I tried using my QPoints to go from business (full fare) to First and was denied after 5 days.
Now flight a little over one week out and first is completely open. Went to apply again and said already pending upgrade cannot use.
Frustrating.

If F cabin is empty or near empty I hope they let me use my expiring QPoints.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.