Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Premium Terminal Access on AA Award ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:02 am
Original Poster

I'm just about to book a award ticket to Dubai using AA miles. To save on the cost of miles I am planning to book the ticket to Dubai in business class but the connection from Doha to London in economy (as only economy and first are available on this section and using first would bump the whole journey to first level amount of miles)

If I do this will I still get access to the premium terminal?

Any advice gratefully appreciated
Old Sep 17, 2014, 12:07 pm

Programs: QR Gold
Originally Posted by jonathanev
I'm just about to book a award ticket to Dubai using AA miles. To save on the cost of miles I am planning to book the ticket to Dubai in business class but the connection from Doha to London in economy (as only economy and first are available on this section and using first would bump the whole journey to first level amount of miles)

The Premium Terminal closed in May.

We moved to a new airport Hamad International Airport.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 2:06 pm

Programs: QR Gold, EK, Accor, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold VIP, Delta
You really havent made it real clear your classes of service you will be travelling, your post is confusing to say the least.

Any case, the premium terminal is close and a new airport is being used.

You are wanting lounge access, which may or may not be possible depending on your class of travel. Flying with QR your lounge access is based on your class of travel from whichever airport you are departing.

Traveling first/business you get access to the respective lounge at your airport of departure. If you make a connection in Doha and you depart in coach class, no access for you.

So if you are doing a DXB-DOH-LHW trip and you depart DXB in first you only get access in Dubai. If your DOH-LHW is in coach, no access for you even though you arrived from Dubai in first.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by jonathanev

You're doing it wrong wasting the extra miles on a business redemption for just under an hour in business. Unless you have OW status you won't be able to access any lounges in DOH. Unless I misunderstood you. Seems this is a one way redemption? DXB-DOH-LHR?, if it's return you can combine premium cabins on the outbound with economy on the inbound. You'll get the premium rate for the outbound, economy rate for inbound).
Old Sep 18, 2014, 2:09 am

To add to the answers above, the OP must be a little confused: DOH-DXB is the segment which only offers F and Y. DOH-LHR will obviously have J, Y (and on some flights, F).

S/he probably meant to say LHR-DOH in J and DOH-DXB in F - otherwise it doesn't really make sense when he says "only F and Y are available" which suggests he will be taking J on DOH-DXB which is obviously not possible.

Although the advice used to be "access only based on departing boarding pass" for purposes of the PT, with the new lounges at HIA oneworld status members travelling in Y are apparently getting into the Al Mourjan lounge as well.

OP: Do you have any status on a oneworld FFP scheme, such as AA?
Old Sep 18, 2014, 2:58 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
The rules for the Al Mourjan business lounge seem to be the same as for the old premium terminal: you have to be flying in QR (or CX) business class on your departure from DOH.

Revenue or award doesn't matter; the class you took to DOH doesn't matter; the mileage you paid (e.g., if you somehow paid for a biz award but were departing DOH in Y) doesn't matter.

Originally Posted by stargold
Although the advice used to be "access only based on departing boarding pass" for purposes of the PT, with the new lounges at HIA oneworld status members travelling in Y are apparently getting into the Al Mourjan lounge as well.
This hasn't been my experience, even as QR Platinum flying Y on QR from DOH.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 6:34 am

Programs: OWS, *A G
Originally Posted by mecabq
This hasn't been my experience, even as QR Platinum flying Y on QR from DOH.
Weird. I gained access to the Al Mourjan both ways as PC gold flying in Y over the past 3 weeks. Moreover, on my return journey I could guest in 1 pax based on my status and used a lounge voucher for another one.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 7:11 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
My office partner had the same experience flying to Muscat last weekend, PC Gold with 2 guests all in Y.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 8:11 am

Programs: QF QR Silver, DJ,TG,MH
I don't believe the Lounge journey is over yet. There are more lounges to come online.
I have a feeling that once the full compliment of lounges are operational, that QR/CX Elite Y flyers will drop back a notch, to One World lounges, which were the old First and Biz lounges that everyone had to use prior to Al Mujan opening.
The Al Safwa and Al Mourjan will take on the role of the old PT - pointy end QR/CX flyers only.

I could be wrong, but myself only ever being a annual J flyer, I wouldn't be that upset.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.