Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Redeem your Qmiles or Qcredits for an upgrade at the airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2014, 5:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR Gold / OW Sapphire, Le Club Accor Gold, Shangri La Jade

Received this in my inbox yesterday.

www.qatarairways.com/email/pvc/14/09/01/index.html

The most interesting part is the fact that it is currently ex-Doha only at present, but they are looking to expand this throughout their network.

Would be good to know people's thoughts on this...
Old Sep 1, 2014, 8:41 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: QR Privilege Club Gold; Accor LeClub Platinum
Originally Posted by HpW1981

The most interesting part is the fact that it is currently ex-Doha only at present, but they are looking to expand this throughout their network.

Considering how difficult it can be to get upgrades on some routes, this might actually be really cool IF they release more seats hours before departure.. would help QR themselves too.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 9:11 pm

This is no different to trying to book an upgrade in advance as there are no extra seats released as indicated in the offer i.e. it states that "...Due to limited award seats in Premium cabin, processing of award upgrade request is subject to seat availability and on a first-come, first-served basis".
The only benefit is that when you turn up to check in, someone who has already booked an award upgrade may have cancelled at the last minute thereby releasing their award seat.
I am due to fly to Manchester next week in which all the award seats are allegedly taken. I will try to upgrade on the day but I don't hold out much hope!!
Old Oct 22, 2014, 8:07 am

Programs: QR Gold, BAEC, Marriott Rewards Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by zehbra
Considering how difficult it can be to get upgrades on some routes, this might actually be really cool IF they release more seats hours before departure.. would help QR themselves too.
Update; Mrs IM & I upgraded from J to F DOH-LHR using Qcredits. Asked at the Al Mourjan reception desk during transit & a very helpful chap named Brian made some calls before approval was granted.

There was one F seat left free at take off & we had a brief chat with Nobu, one of the QR celebrity chefs who was en-route to his restaurant in London!

Excellent flight on the A340 by the way.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 2:17 pm

Programs: QR Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by HpW1981

Tried it on about 3 weeks ago, failed miserably. I've heard the same feedback from friends.

The problem is that QR staff are new and not well versed with QR operating procedures. In my case, they confirmed the upgrade at check-in and asked me to pick up my boarding pass after security. When I went to said information desk, they said I wasn't upgraded.
In my friend's case, he had to run from one desk to the other to get the upgrade. Then he stopped trying.

After checking around, this is what I am told is the correct procedure, can't say I've tried it.
Go to the business counter, asked to be upgraded and inform them that you want him/her to print out the upgraded boarding passes. If he refuses, then ask for the manager. Bus class check in can upgrade you using your miles.

Good luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.