Search

Transit or Tourist Visa?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2014, 3:32 pm
GB
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton GLD
Transit or Tourist Visa?

I will be traveling with my family on Qatar via Doha to South Africa. We are traveling in Business Class (on AA miles) and have a 12 hour layover in Doha on the way to Africa. I have booked an overnight hotel accommodation on my own as our tickets are on miles.
However, I want to know specifically what visas we will need? We are all US citizens. Does this require a "transit visa" as our layover is greater than 8 hours? Or do we need a "tourist visa" on arrival?
I called Qatar Airways but did not receive clear information.
Thanks
Old Feb 3, 2014, 7:55 pm

Not sure the differance but you can just get a visa on arrival. Visa on arrival can only be purchased with a credit card.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
As previous poster said, just queue up at immigration in the arrivals terminal, and you will be charged 100 QAR (approx US$27) each for an entry visa. Payment only possible by VISA or Mastercard. No cash and no other types of cards are accepted.

There is no such thing as a Qatari Transit Visa - people of any nationality can transfer at Doha airport. You are not just transferring/transiting - you actually want to enter the country.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 11:21 am
GB
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton GLD
Thank you for the information and clarification.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 12:17 am

Programs: Qatar Airways Gold, Singapore air Kris flyer,Emirates Silver, Etihad Gold
Originally Posted by irishguy28
As previous poster said, just queue up at immigration in the arrivals terminal, and you will be charged 100 QAR (approx US$27) each for an entry visa. Payment only possible by VISA or Mastercard. No cash and no other types of cards are accepted.

There is no such thing as a Qatari Transit Visa - people of any nationality can transfer at Doha airport. You are not just transferring/transiting - you actually want to enter the country.
Indeed there is a transit visa for 24hours; it is included in the STPC for long layovers that are more than 8 hours long and less than 24 hours.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
OK - turns out I was wrong.

There is a 24 hour transit visa available which allows you to leave the airport - it has to be applied for at a Qatari embassy (unless provided as part of QR's STPC package, which obviously does not apply in this case)

I won't provide a link as they generate massive URLs which probably are valid only for one visit each: visit http://portal.www.gov.qa, type "Transit Visa" in the search box, and click on the first search hit.

No idea how much this visa costs - but in terms of time and hassle, it's probably just easier to get the Visa on Arrival (which allows a stay of something like 28 days).
Old Apr 15, 2014, 12:36 pm

Programs: Thai Silver,Skywards Silver,Gulf Silver, Interconti Prority Platinum, FR Priority Q!
QR pre-arranged VOA

Forget the question- I now have the answer-a prearranged VOA through the QR site is $55 but on arrival is $27 so it is a no brainer.
thanks
SS

Last edited by Silverswimmer; Apr 15, 2014 at 3:50 pm Reason: Found the answer
Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:01 pm

Programs: QR Gold
Originally Posted by Silverswimmer
Forget the question- I now have the answer-a prearranged VOA through the QR site is $55 but on arrival is $27 so it is a no brainer.
thanks
SS
Its very easy to do it. My friend who is not a Qatari, went to passport control and you pay the guy there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.