Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Qatar confirms 787 launch on LHR route; hints at new business class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2012, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, QR Silver, Accor, BA

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/Articl...+heathrow.html

Qatar Airways aims to become the first carrier to operate the Boeing 787 from the UK after displaying the Dreamliner at the Farnborough Air Show in July.
Al Baker confirmed Qatar’s 787s will be configured with just two classes, saying: “I guarantee business class on Qatar will be more luxurious than any first class flying today.”

The airline will unveil new business and economy class seats designed for the 787 at German travel trade show ITB in Berlin in March. Al Baker said Qatar would “never” offer premium economy seats, insisting: “Our economy is premium compared to the economy on other airlines.”
Old Jan 27, 2012, 4:52 pm

The route was to be expected. But I somehow can't envisage too many award tickets being available on 787 operated services for the first few monthts, at least until the novelty has worn off.

Interesting comment from Mr. Al Baker regarding QR never offering a premium economy class service. That was emphasied by the recent decision to reconfigure some 777's, rather than declassify business class rows 5-7 and offer them as a premium economy product, something that other airlines with surplus capacity up front would have seriously considered.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Yes, shame we may not know for a while which flight they will use it on, as I am planning travel in August and it would be cool to be among the first in the UK to travel on the 787...

IMO, I never envisaged QR offering a premium economy, for exactly the reason Al Akbar mentioned... after all, a premium economy does kinda suggest that, er, regular economy just ain't that good...

But seriously, a business class better than any FIRST class? Now this, I will have to see...
Old Jan 27, 2012, 10:02 pm

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by InternationalLiving
But seriously, a business class better than any FIRST class? Now this, I will have to see...
Agreed. I wish that he would make a more credible statement -- I think that it's fair to claim that the two-class biz (e.g., B777) is the best business class flying today (though I haven't flown EY or WY, which seem impressive), and on par with many airlines' first -- than something so implausible.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 6:03 am

Maybe a 1-2-1 seating like WY. ANA has 2-2-2 in C in their new 787s and most airlines also on their A330/340s.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 12:53 pm

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
Perhaps he categorizes suites as a different one. So QR C will be better than other's F but not suites?

Would be nice if they have one of the 787s in for the DOH - SIN - DPS route.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 10:21 am

I think you will find the B787 will be used on the Manchester QR41/42 flight first, before LHR.

It will run the flight 3 times weekly whilst the QR41/42 is 3 weekly, then, increase to daily when the MAN flights are put back to 2 times daily.

Staff at Manchester, including engineers, are being trained up as we speak for the September introduction.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by delta154
I think you will find the B787 will be used on the Manchester QR41/42 flight first, before LHR.

It will run the flight 3 times weekly whilst the QR41/42 is 3 weekly, then, increase to daily when the MAN flights are put back to 2 times daily.

Staff at Manchester, including engineers, are being trained up as we speak for the September introduction.
That honestly would make no sense. The Heathrow route is their flagship route and that article confirms it. It would be quite believable if their second 787 was put on the Manchester route though...
Old Jan 31, 2012, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by InternationalLiving
That honestly would make no sense. The Heathrow route is their flagship route and that article confirms it. It would be quite believable if their second 787 was put on the Manchester route though...
Totally agree, just can't see that happening. However, its good to hear that Manchester is high on the list for 787 assignment, and I hope to sample it in early October.

For too long MAN has been QR's UK operations poor relation, and I thought it more likely to get hand-me down 777's displaced off other more prestigous routes.

Last edited by Nuff Said; Jan 31, 2012 at 10:58 pm Reason: Minor correction.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 10:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Starbucks Gold, CO Op gold
Im expecting a Cathay Style Business class, as in my opinion that is the closest to a Business/First class seat out there at the moment. All the Staggered seating in other Business Class's are nice but Cathay is the one to beat.

The width of the 787 is between the 777 and an A330 if im not mistaken so that should be interesting too see what they can do with that.

Since the lounge opened in London this route will definately be on the flagship route. However, from the current ANA configuration of the 787 that they used on the NRT-FRA route, the capacity of this aircraft is significantly lower than the current A346 and 777.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 3:43 am

Totally agree, just can't see that happening. However, its good to hear that Manchester is high on the list for 787 assignment, and I hope to sample it in early October.
Well, you two are in for a shock then, after all, it should come as no surprise that there is another airport in the UK that does well for airlines such as QR. Like I say, staff in Manchester being trained on B787 handling, and have been told first flight will be Wednesday 5th September on QR41/42 flight.

Announcement will follow soon.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 4:30 am
Original Poster

Well, you two are in for a shock then, after all, it should come as no surprise that there is another airport in the UK that does well for airlines such as QR. Like I say, staff in Manchester being trained on B787 handling, and have been told first flight will be Wednesday 5th September on QR41/42 flight.

Well, I don't necessarily disagree with that, but from the news article above, it seems to be hinted that the 787 may be put on the LHR route as early as late July or August...
Old Feb 1, 2012, 5:28 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Gold, M&M FTL, QR Gold, HH Diamond, PCR Platinum
Maybe it's both: launching LHR as it is a prestigious destination for QR, and then move it to MAN to make room for larger capacity aircraft serving LHR.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 5:44 am

Both flights are currently wide open for award tickets in both cabins, but, if what you say is confirmed, I can't see that lasting for long.

A single 787 can easily serve Heathrow and Manchester on a rotating basis until more members of the fleet are delivered.

Announcement will follow soon. Will that be exactly 2 months today by any chance?
Old Feb 1, 2012, 7:23 am

Announcement will follow soon. Will that be exactly 2 months today by any chance?
Wow, not cynical at all are you?

At the end of the day, Im just the messenger. Im failing to see why the fact a more economical, slightly smaller aircraft the the A330-300 (which is currently used) used to Manchester first is so hard to believe.

Maybe sometimes economics play a part ahead of 'prestige', or, is wanting to make a route slightly more profitable just crazy talk?

Regardless of serving MAN, they are going to be the first middle eastern carrier to use the B787 to LHR, so maybe they don't see the need to 'rush' in putting it on LHR?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.