Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Need to cancel after departure - any value left in this ticket?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2010, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum!

Just wanted to ask for some advice, so that I'll be better equipped before I contact Qatar Airways - and partly because I wonder if my reasoning was actually correct.

I bought a QR return ticket from LHR-KUL. Outbound was in K class, return was in H class. I have already flown the LHR-KUL portion and have been in KUL for 2 weeks. Suddenly, my work commitment requires me to be somewhere else, which means I won't be using the KUL-LHR portion of this ticket.

I was about to just write-off the ticket, when I realized that the fare rules actually say:

CANCELLATIONS

BEFORE DEPARTURE
CHARGE GBP 100.00.

AFTER DEPARTURE
CANCELLATIONS PERMITTED.
NOTE -
CHARGE APPLICABLE OW.

for both the outbound segments & inbound segments. I was honestly surprised to see that as I thought most likely it'll be forfeit.

Does it mean if I ask for a refund, they will actually refund me the return segment of the ticket as well as the applicable tax for the return journey? I find it quite hard to believe it personally, that's why I asked!

Thanks a lot for any replies.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 10:00 pm

Programs: QR PC Silver, FlySmiles, Skywards
QR will most likely charge you for a OW LHR-KUL. Whatever is left (if any) will be refunded less a cancellation fee.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Welcome to FlyerTalk, ShiningFlyer.

Yes, just make sure you cancel your flight instead of just no-showing. Then contact QR in KUL and advise them that you can't take the flight anymore and would like to refund the ticket.

However with K class tickets, the validity is between 1 month and 6 months depending on the rules and conditions of the ticket. Can you not make a change and fly a later date perhaps?
Old Jan 20, 2010, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Thank you Kataka & Guy Betsy for the reply!

Guy Betsy: Considering that my work tickets are paid by company (and in Business class!) it makes sense for me to just go to the destination, then return to LHR from there as opposed to flying back to KUL then onwards to LHR.

So in my case - which one is actually the correct refund amount that I should get? The (fare paid) - (one way fare of LHR-KUL) which means I will get much less refund or even no refund as one way fares tend to be expensive, or am I going to get the H fares + fuel surcharges + taxes?

I hope someone will be able to clarify!
Old Jan 20, 2010, 9:23 pm

Programs: QR PC Silver, FlySmiles, Skywards
Only QR can clarify.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 2:10 am

Programs: QR Gold
Originally Posted by kataka
Only QR can clarify.
You cannot refund a ticket if you have used a portion of it. You can always cancel it, and pay the penalty for changing the date.

I dont work for QR but this happened to me before, and the you can never return a portion of the ticket.

But do let us know what happens. Cancelling a ticket right before departure and a no-show is considered the same--more or less.

Good Luck!
Old Jan 24, 2010, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Interesting conversation after 2 phone calls to Qatar!

Initially, the first agent told me there will be the "applicable OW" means the OW fare for that route. He claimed that the lowest possible OW fare for that route is M class, and as that M class oneway fare is higher than my (K+H) mixed-class return fare, I will get nothing back. When I heard that, I said "in that case I'll think about it and will call back later".

To be honest, I'm more interested in the way they calculate things (than the money refunded) so called back later and spoke to someone else. The lady did not really tell me how she calculated it, but told me I will get about GBP120 back. I was quite surprised as it was definitely quite a good number, and since I won't need the ticket anyway, I asked her to cancel it for me. She said she'll process it for me.

Though the lady did not really tell me how she calculated the fare, from the information that I have, this is what I thought how she calculated the refund:

[(The fares I paid, which is the average of K return and H return as per mixed class itinerary) - (K class outbound one way fare)] + fuel surcharge + tax

Thanks everyone!
Old Jan 27, 2010, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, QR res agents are all over the place.. location wise and mental clarity !

If your ticket allows refunds, and not as QatarA340 says .. you can get some money back...

Yes the way refunds are calculated is based on what fare basis you have, and if any conditions that says that the fare is nonrefundable. If not, then the lowest oneway fare is applied to your ticket, ie K class and then the balance is returned to the same creditcard you used to purchase the ticket on.

Plus an applicable refund fee, if any.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 4:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
then the lowest oneway fare is applied to your ticket, ie K class and then the balance is returned to the same creditcard you used to purchase the ticket on.

Plus an applicable refund fee, if any.
Thanks Guy Betsy.

I am still waiting for my refund to be sent back to my credit card, but still quite intrigued, i.e. sort of more interested in it academically.

Did you mean "M class" (the lowest oneway fare that the agent claimed to be on offer - though I did have a quotation for Q class oneway fare which was even lower back then)?

If you really meant K class (which is the class that I travelled on), I still wonder was K class one-way ever on offer back then. Maybe the K class one-way fare is already sold out when I was looking for quotations! Or alternatively, they do not really deduct the "lowest" applicable OW fare, but rather, deduct the applicable OW fare, in the fare class that you travelled in?
Old Jan 27, 2010, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

QR has to use your outbound booking class as the applicable oneway fare in that class.

So if your ticket was say, K class outbound and inbound was H fare, QR will have to use the appicable oneway fare in K class which normally exists for most fares, eg KAPOW1

It doesn't matter if K class no longer is available. You bought your ticket in K/H class, so they will have to use your original outbound booking as that.. ie K class as a return, and change it to K class oneway.

But if say there is no K class oneway and for the route they have only M class fare as one way, eg MEOW1, then the M class oneway fare will be used as differences from your whole ticket.

Refunds can take up to 1-3 months to appear back on your creditcard!
Old Jan 27, 2010, 5:11 am
Original Poster

Thanks Guy Betsy! That was really helpful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.