Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

How tall is that woman in the picture?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How tall is that woman in the picture?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2009, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
I'm 6' and need to move the headrest up some inches for best comfort (otherwise my shoulders keep hitting it).

In the home page 'photo she must be really down in the seat.

(Note the difference betwixt head position relative to the headrest in the two images.)
Old Jul 27, 2009, 9:39 pm
HW

Programs: QF LTG/WP, Various others = way too much flying
Originally Posted by eoinnz
I was there for the filming - very interesting to see how it is all done.
and

Originally Posted by eoinnz
She seems happy next to a kid in the photo
http://biztravelguru.com/photos/airl...9/425x256.aspx
Is that you with the bowl of fruit?
Old Jul 28, 2009, 3:40 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by serfty
In the home page 'photo she must be really down in the seat.

(Note the difference betwixt head position relative to the headrest in the two images.)
I agree, she looks like she's slid down the seat quite a bit. But then, she must have fairly short legs to have space for her legs.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 9:20 am

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald), PC Platinum, HH Gold
Originally Posted by d00t
I'm sure she wouldn't be smiling if the picture represented a true inflight shot with a kid on one side and an overweight person on the other, taking up all the armrest!
Not all overweight people take up all the armrest! Some of us are very considerate.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 7:52 pm

Programs: QF Plat, Asiana Diamond Plus
Just off QF128 overnight, in Y, and I was amazed at how uncomfortable the experience was. I am no stranger to Y, having just made a trip to north Asia on three separate airlines, then finishing with the QF flight last night.

My question is, has standard Y declined with the introduction of PY? I am sure the Fter's will have discussed this, but as I sat in my seat last night awaiting departure I had a few moments of sickening panic as the sense of claustrophobia ebbed and flowed. The pitch seemed very tight in row 47, and a recliner in front of me decreased my space even more. No way could I even open a laptop - yet on the Asian carrier I used for the northbound trip I was able to use a laptop OK. Similarly my seat mate and I were in contact all night, and neither of us were big - just average. I am 6ft, 77kg, very average (in so many ways).

I understand that perceptions are not always reality - I wished I had a tape measure last night to gather some hard data.

Interestingly, as WP, my advance upgrade request to PY was declined, no acknowledgement on board (yet there was on previous CX flight), and pax next to me was handed an express card on arrival in Sydney, and he said it must have been because he was a gold FF (can't remember the right acronym).

All in all, one of the most uncomfortable flights I have had, and I reckon that an inch in seat pitch can have a huge effect. It's not the only thing of course, but significant for us who fly Y. I am wondering about taking my business elsewhere.

If only I could be as comfortable as the lady in the picture appears...
Old Sep 6, 2009, 9:48 pm

Programs: QF Plat & LTG, VA Plat
Originally Posted by piperlance
Interestingly, as WP, my advance upgrade request to PY was declined
Any idea what the loads were like?

pax next to me was handed an express card on arrival in Sydney, and he said it must have been because he was a gold FF
Perhaps the card was meant for you and they gave it to the wrong person?

All in all, one of the most uncomfortable flights I have had
Night flights in Y are never much fun.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 2:00 am

For what it's worth, my perceptions were accurate. Just checked seat pitches on Skytrax, and they matched exactly with what I experienced. I presume they're up to date.

Asiana at 34" was excellent, China Southern at 33" was good, Cathay at 32" was getting tight, but the flight was only 3 hours, but then to have QF at a measly 31" for 9 hours was painful, and claustrophobic.

An inch or two (in seat pitch) makes a huge difference to us Y flyers.

So my question is: has QF standard economy changed with the introduction of premium economy? and a follow up - what's the best Y seat for flights from Oz to the US?
Old Sep 8, 2009, 2:42 am

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
what's the best Y seat for flights from Oz to the US?
UA has "economy-plus" where you get a 34" seat instead of 31".

However, NZ economy seats are mostly 34" pitch, and cleaner, with better service.

Despite the stop in AKL the schedule is friendlier in both directions, allowing you to sleep in your perceived night-time.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by harryhv
However, NZ economy seats are mostly 34" pitch, and cleaner, with better service. ...
I believe NZ now tends to vary between 35" in Space+ to 31" 'down the back'.

Certainly, Space+ is cool.

On Qantas TT 737's I bust a gut to get the first row of Economy for the nominal 38" of space. On NZ - meh! Just get any of the first few rows - preferably not a bulkhead so I can utilize the "Gate to Gate" personal IFE.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 5:22 am

Programs: VA Platinum, SG Solitaire PPS, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Follow the yellow brick road.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 6:39 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Asiana at 34" was excellent, China Southern at 33" was good, Cathay at 32" was getting tight, but the flight was only 3 hours, but then to have QF at a measly 31" for 9 hours was painful, and claustrophobic.
Very foolish of you.

After an OZ flight most other airlines look unpleasant not so much in terms of seat usually but in terms of service.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 1:09 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by serfty
I believe NZ now tends to vary between 35" in Space+ to 31" 'down the back'.
harryhv is referring to NZ's longhaul flights to USA. NZ 747 has 34" pitch, and 777 32". There is no space+ on these a/c.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
Very foolish of you.

After an OZ flight most other airlines look unpleasant not so much in terms of seat usually but in terms of service.
Sheepish grin... Yes, on reflection I should have stuck with OZ for the trip home. Oh well, you live and learn. It's been a vivid reminder that there are big differences between airlines in cattle class, and I cannot see myself in J or F in the foreseeable future.

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts - I will need to think carefully when selecting a carrier for future US trips - loyalty to QF notwithstanding!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.