Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas downgrading me (and denying it)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2008, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX, QF, Hilton HHonors Silver VIP

Flying QF29 in Premium economy on the 25th. Went on checkmytrip.com and checked the seatmap - it displayed a 3-4-3 configuration and I have been changed to a different seat (originally in 34J in 2-4-2 configuration now in 35C).

Called the local Qantas office - the rather unhelpful agent insisted that I'm still in PE and she could see a 2-4-2 layout. She also said the PE cabin is from rows 34-41 - but how come the seatmap in checkmytrip.com isn't showing it? From what I know, there are only 4 rows of PE (rows 34-37) right?

Is there anything I could do to make sure I don't get downgraded to Economy? Does Qantas rebook passenger to travel on another day in PE? Will they upgrade PE passangers?

Any advice much appreciated.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
ExpertFlyer is not returning a WHY seat map for MEL-HKG segment on 24th August; but the F, J and W seat maps show.

W (Y+) is 2x4x2: ABDEFGJK, rows 34-37.

There was a rumor here that WHY Rows 40&41 were to be absorbed by Y+ in later conversions. However, I'm thinking the Agent is incorrect; equating "Zone C" with Y+.

Last edited by serfty; Aug 14, 2008 at 9:38 pm Reason: redundant, correct but not relevant - see below
Old Aug 14, 2008, 9:24 pm

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
(Deleted) - resolved that Y+ is 2 - 4 - 2

Last edited by willyroo; Aug 14, 2008 at 10:41 pm
Old Aug 14, 2008, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Forget all the above, the OP is travelling on QF29 HKG-LHR on 25th Aug in which case the aircraft is a 3 class Kangaroo route 744.

This aircraft is schedule to depart MEL on 24th August; hence the confusion (from my, and probably the agent).

35C is indeed in Economy.

Seat Map:
Expert Flyer is return the same seat map for W class and Y class.

Loadings HKG-LHR are thus: F3 A3 J0 C0 D0 I0 W0 T0 B9 H9 K9 M9 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 X0 E0

Last edited by serfty; Aug 14, 2008 at 9:35 pm
Old Aug 14, 2008, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

So, now that it's been confirmed that QF29 HKG-LHR on 25th is indeed a 3 class configuration.

The thing that troubles me, is that the Qantas agent is still seeing the 4 class as opposed to seeing the substituded seatmap, and is not convinced that QF has swapped equipment. I don't want to get to the airport and asked to be seated in Economy!

Is there at this point anything I can do or ask QF/my travel agent to do?
Old Aug 14, 2008, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Perhaps you can tell them that you can see seating in row 39. You know that if a Qantas 744 has a row 39 then it must be a three class version and has NO Y+ seating.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 10:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by serfty
Perhaps you can tell them that you can see seating in row 39. You know that if a Qantas 744 has a row 39 then it must be a three class version and has NO Y+ seating.
However, she claims she is seeing PE from rows 34-41? Wonder if she is speaking the truth?
Old Aug 14, 2008, 10:40 pm

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
I would try to get a hold of the Australian QF call centre - you can call direct +61 13 13 13 or +61 3 9834 6479. Or call after 8:00pm UK time IIRC.

It sounds as though someone in the UK call centre is being "economical" with the truth about your seating, and leaving it to checkin @ LHR to resolve. And they are precisely the wrong people to have resolve this issue for you.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by willyroo
... leaving it to checkin @ LHR to resolve. ...
Maybe @ HKG.

Looking at the loadings, Qantas are taking no more J or W bookings.

In June we flew LHR-SIN an an aircraft that had Y+ originally, but was subbed at 2 days notice with a 3 class. AFAIK, all Y+ bookings were accommodated in J.

Here Qantas have a 1½ weeks to attend to this; Perhaps they are hoping some PAX move flights.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 11:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
I'm also going to vote that QF London are pretty bad. Suggest the OP call QF Auatralia in a few days time when perhaps he/she can determine whether they have been moved into J.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 11:47 pm

Programs: QF WP/LTG
I booked T class SIN-SYD sometime in April this year in the early days of PE. The day before I was due to fly out, the aircraft was swopped into a 3 class aircraft. But QF contacted me, and offered me a choice of a downgrade with suitable compensation to be discuss with the station manager at SIN upone check-in, or upgrade to business, but on the later overnight flight. I chose the upgrade and had points/status credited as business.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 1:30 am

Programs: QF Plat & LTG, VA Plat
Originally Posted by Traveloguy
I'm also going to vote that QF London are pretty bad.
Wasn't it announced recently that the UK and US call centres were being closed? If they are losing their jobs then I would expect very poor service from them now...

(But yes, previously they have been next to useless anyway)
Old Aug 15, 2008, 3:57 am
Original Poster

Just spoke to my travel agent - she too phoned up Qantas HK office to find out what's going on. The QF agent hardly gave anything away.

My agent speculates QF may bring in one of the extra PE seats-fitted aircrafts for QF29. Checkmytrip.com is unable to upload the seatmap at all now, so I guess another change is on the horizon. QF has been acting fishy these past weeks.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 9:44 am

Programs: QF Plat & LTG, VA Plat
I think it was a 4 class plane involved in the Manila incident, no? In which case QF will for a time be without an aircraft to service routes on which Y+ has been sold already.
Old Aug 16, 2008, 2:26 am

Programs: ANZ G; QF G; DJ S
Originally Posted by crispycrouton
QF has been acting fishy these past weeks.
Hi crispycrouton ... you may not be aware of this, but QF has indeed been fishy lately due - and here, without wishing to start a flame war on this topic - to the run of major. semi-major, minor and non- tech issues with 744s, 763s and 737s, so they are probably being more cagey than usual, esp. when it comes to anything to do with Y+.

And yes, to confirm, the a/c involved in the decompression was the 1st 744 re-config'd, VH-OJK. So for that reason alone, the published roll-out schedule and route availability, will have gone out the window.

As for upgrade/downgrade "policy" ... I had Y+ flights booked for SYD/HKG/SYD in late Sept., but cancelled them after querying phn. res here ( Sydney) and asking them what the OFFICIAL policy was, in case of an a/c sub., as opposed to what you are able to cajole out of the check-in staff on the spot. The answer came back, that downgrading was the official line. So ... even tho' I am a QF Gold, I cancelled.

Contrast this to NZ's official policy when they were converting their 744s. There, the policy was an upgrade. This tells you all you need to know about both airlines.

Wait until Y+ rollout is finished, is my advice.

Good luck, Starbear

Last edited by Starbear; Aug 16, 2008 at 2:30 am Reason: spelling

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.