Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas keeps it head low in the news lately

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas keeps it head low in the news lately

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2012, 5:13 pm

Programs: QP Silver; CX MPC Green; Virgin AusRed
Originally Posted by Platinum A332
And of ALL the airlines you could partner with, QF chose the weakest in Greater China?!?
Unfortuantely, QF doesn't have a lot of choice. CA is tied up with CX with their cross-shareholding and CZ, with their hub in CAN, would definitely not be interested in establishing a LCC at an airport less than 100miles away.

The other viable option is HU (the Hainan Airlines Group) but they have an existing interest in the HKG market with Hong Kong Airlines and Hong Kong Express already. Although there were rumors that Hong Kong Express was going to be re-launched as JQ HK.

Will be interesting to see where JQ HK will fly to? I am guessing it would be secondary cities in China seeing that major cities such as PEK, PVG/SHA are well served by many carriers.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by BD1959
Gee, talk about spin and misinformation.

"China is already one of the largest tourism markets for Australia and has huge potential for growth in air travel as the size of its middle class swells."
Unless there's a huge masterplan for this new airline to codeshare into QF/CX into Australia - and frankly, there appears to be no increase in capacity to allow for this - then surely the introduction of JQHK is as relevant to the Australian Tourist industry as JQ Vietnam.

The launch of a new budget airline in Hong Kong in partnership with the mainland Chinese airline will go some way to ease the pressure on Qantas, which ditched plans to launch a premium carrier in south-east Asia earlier this month. The expansion plan had been lauded as one of the main planks of chief executive Alan Joyce's strategy to turning around Qantas's premium international business.
Spending $99million on this upstart is going to turnaround the $200m loss on QFi - or even part thereof ... how?

I'd love to see the original Press Release which fed this rubbish.

Regards,

BD
I dunno. Could provide a lot of feeder traffic into the HKG flights (maybe we might even see MEL-HKG switch to an A380 if there is enough traffic).

Flights ex HKG to China are expensive (always - with the exception of Spring which allows only hand luggage and is notoriously delayed).

JQ would provide a valid option for me (especially with lounge access and extra leg-room seats)
Old Mar 25, 2012, 8:54 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by Platinum A332
Originally Posted by RickyT
Here is the combined press release from MU, QF and JQ.

In short, JQ HK will commence operation from 2013 with a fleet of 3 A320s. The fleet will expand to 18 A320s by 2015.
The new airline will operate short haul routes from HKG to China, Japan, South Korea and SE Asia.
Thanks both - so nothing in the PR to lead one to believe this will boost the Australian Tourist market nor be the saviour for International, it's all about regional growth tapping into a new market ... must have been some side-briefing "Make sure you include ...." or the journalist is putting 2-and-2 together etc.

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
I dunno. Could provide a lot of feeder traffic into the HKG flights (maybe we might even see MEL-HKG switch to an A380 if there is enough traffic).

Flights ex HKG to China are expensive (always - with the exception of Spring which allows only hand luggage and is notoriously delayed).

JQ would provide a valid option for me (especially with lounge access and extra leg-room seats).
I'd expect the Chinese middle-class - who appear to be very brand-conscious - would steer-clear of an LCC. I'd also expect that the timing of QF29 into HKG is unlikely to lend itself to same-day connections for onwards flights into Greater China, so wouldn't expect to see a return to a 747 let alone A380 anytime soon.

This sort of thing is also likely to put CX well offside - welcome to oneworld, the quality alliance!

Regards,

BD
Old Mar 25, 2012, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BD1959

I'd expect the Chinese middle-class - who appear to be very brand-conscious - would steer-clear of an LCC. I'd also expect that the timing of QF29 into HKG is unlikely to lend itself to same-day connections for onwards flights into Greater China, so wouldn't expect to see a return to a 747 let alone A380 anytime soon.

This sort of thing is also likely to put CX well offside - welcome to oneworld, the quality alliance!

Regards,

BD
Yes - I see the timing of the QF 29 into HKG is not so good, but the flight ex SYD is ok. Connections back both work well. (In fact the new timing for the QF29 is hopeless for just about anything to China, even arriving in HKG is too late for anything but going to a late party or your hotel. CX for me if I have to me thinks...)
Old Apr 2, 2012, 2:22 am

Programs: QFF (Gold), Skywards, Rapid Rewards,United, Velocity, Hilton Silver
Maggots on a plane

Something in this story does not ring true

http://au.news.yahoo.com/vic/latest/...airline-snack/

It may have happened but mis-reported.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lonely Flyer

qantas has not denied responsibility. the only misreporting here is that the passenger bought the snack, when in fact it would have been complimentary. Probably the reporter not understanding that the snack-on-Q bags are free.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 4:11 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by Lonely Flyer

The company that makes the Australian made trail mix, Sydney Biscuit Company, says the responsibility is with Qantas.
o.O How is QF responsible for something which was packaged and sealed before they even got it?
Old Apr 2, 2012, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Himeno
o.O How is QF responsible for something which was packaged and sealed before they even got it?
could be several reasons... storage (not in a secure bug free environment), length of storage (allowing bugs to eat into the bag), not checking the product before delivery to the passenger. Who knows.

However I agree, generally one would think the manufacturer would be responsible.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 5:15 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
could be several reasons... storage (not in a secure bug free environment), length of storage (allowing bugs to eat into the bag), not checking the product before delivery to the passenger. Who knows.

However I agree, generally one would think the manufacturer would be responsible.
While QF is responsible for their supply chain, there should be processes in place (such as the standard across the food industry of First In, First Out) on Qantas' end to prevent stock being stored too long. If the problem was on Qantas' end, then there would be more issues then just a handful of packets as the entire stock at the originating port would be compromised.
If this was something like a meal which is fully within the control of Qantas (such as something made by Q Catering), then yes, it is QF's problem. However all QF would have done in this case is take delivery of the stock, open up the boxes, put a packet of the nuts into a Snack on Q bag and send it to the aircraft for delivery to the passenger. It's a premade, prepackaged, sealed item. Qantas has no reason to assume that it does not contain what the manufacturer has told them it does.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 3:48 pm

Programs: QFF (Gold), Skywards, Rapid Rewards,United, Velocity, Hilton Silver
I think the manufacturer is at fault since several packets were apparently contaminated.

Unlikely that fly maggots could enter the package even if older stock after delivery to QF. If it was mouse or cockroach droppings then QF could well be at fault.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 1:04 pm

Programs: Various
Maggots in Trail Mix

Not quite sure why something like this is burrowed in this thread. How would anybody who is not a regular QF Forum member even know by the thread title!?

Time to rename it!!
Old Apr 18, 2012, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
QF Cabin crew restrained him during the flight from PER-MEL

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...1226332813714Q

They did great job to taking him down and they restrained him. He bothering the passengers during redeye flight from PER-MEL. He would deserve him banned flying the airlines for his life. He could go to jail for that. He will never flying on QF again.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 11:36 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
So if I read the SMH article right, the person in question was annoying pax down the back and was then brought up front -- where the fuss continued. Hardly a constructive way to get the upgrade.

If it was in some other countries, it wouldn't have been a trip to the police station, more likely the morgue.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 7:24 am

Programs: Meow Mix
Article seems to be a bit vague for me... so in essence he was bother other passengers and then he was brought forward of the cabin?

Does anyone have any more info?

/AE
Old Apr 19, 2012, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by angeloedades
... so in essence he was bother other passengers and then he was brought forward of the cabin?..
It indeed reads like that.

What a terrible approach by the crew to deal with an obnoxious individual !

The PER-SYD, PER-MEL redeyes seem to attract this kind of passengers it seems, I cannot remember a peaceful ride on a single one of them...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.