Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Off to Europe soon - several questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2004, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QR Platinum

I'm making my second pilgrimage to Europe in a couple of months, with my fiancee in tow, and I have a bunch of questions having not flown QF internationally before. Our itinerary is a bizarre assortment of eight segments operated by six different airlines.

Mar 24 QF 17 PER-SIN 20 SC
Mar 24 QF 319 SIN-LHR 40 SC (operated by BA16)
Mar 31 FR 815 EDI-DUB
Apr 4 BD 122 DUB-LHR
Apr 9 BA 460 LHR-MAD 10 SC
Apr 20 U24797 ORY-LIN
Apr 28 QF3860 FCO-HKG 40 SC (operated by CX292)
Apr 29 QF 68 HKG-PER 25 SC

All QF/BA flights are booked in N, with QF68 upgraded to U.

I intend to use online check-in for QF319 (conveniently I have two booking references, one with a BA flight number). I assume all the best seats will be taken by BAEC members checking in 12 hours before I can, so my strategy will just be to get D/E or F/G as far forward as possible.

Questions:
  • As a lowly PS, am I entitled to checkin with my fiancee (QF NB) at business class?
  • Can someone double-check my status credit calculations? I need 130 to make SG, so this is important to me! (Chances are I'll have another PER-SYD-PER before the end of May anyway, but it doesn't hurt to make sure).
  • Coming home, QF3860 leaves Rome at 12:45 while QF68 leaves Hong Kong at 23:35 the next day. Will it be possible to check our bags all the way through?
  • With the above in mind, and flying HKG-PER in U, is it feasible to use the QP in HKG in the morning on arrival, spend the day sightseeing, and then visit the QP again in the evening?

Cheers,
Steve
Old Jan 28, 2004, 10:50 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by StevePER:
As a lowly PS, am I entitled to checkin with my fiancee (QF NB) at business class?</font>
Yes, you can take a traveling partner (or your entire family) to the check-in counter to which you are entitled to use. I have done this with 6 tag-alongs (Mrs NM, 3 x mini NM's and 2 x inlaws).
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Can someone double-check my status credit calculations?
</font>
Look correct to me
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Coming home, QF3860 leaves Rome at 12:45 while QF68 leaves Hong Kong at 23:35 the next day. Will it be possible to check our bags all the way through?
</font>
Yes. I had bags checked from HEL to BNE using three different airlines including a 14 hour stop in HKG.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">With the above in mind, and flying HKG-PER in U, is it feasible to use the QP in HKG in the morning on arrival, spend the day sightseeing, and then visit the QP again in the evening?
</font>
You won't be able to access the QP until departing. On arrival into HKG you will likely be met by ground staff directing you to the transfer desk where you will need to go for your QF boardoing passes since the flight will not have been opened for check-in when you left FCO. Then you will need to exit the arrivals area through immigration and customs.

When leaving there is a very helpful information desk. They will give you all the info you need on transport and sightseeing.

Then on arrival back at HKG you will already have your BP so just pass through immigration and head to the QP for a shower and relax before boarding.

Enjoy your trip.

edited to fix UBB codes

[This message has been edited by NM (edited Jan 28, 2004).]
Old Jan 29, 2004, 4:09 am

Programs: QF Platinum & LT Silver
A few days ago, I flew BA 18 MEL to SIN in Y. I was able to get bulkhead seats, 25 D & E for my partner and I. Not bad, plenty of leg room, but a little narrow. We put the bassinet rest down so we had plenty of room for drinks, food, junk, etc. The arm rests don't lift up, of course, so if you're travelling with you partner its hard to snuggle up.

Maybe you can snare similar seats?

Enjoy your trip.

[This message has been edited by Zermatt (edited Jan 29, 2004).]

Old Jan 29, 2004, 4:11 am

Programs: QF Platinum & LT Silver
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Zermatt:
[B]A few days ago, I flew BA 18 MEL to SIN in Y. I was able to get bulkhead seats, 25 D & E for my partner and I. Not bad, plenty of leg room, but a little narrow. We put the bassinet rest down so we had plenty of room for drinks, food, junk, etc. The arm rests don't lift up, of course, so if you're travelling with you partner its hard to snuggle up.

Maybe you can snare similar seats?

Enjoy your trip.

Sorry for the duplicate post. I'm a novice with the site functionality.

Old Jan 29, 2004, 4:20 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
In HKG, there may well be the same 2 for 1 offer with the train into town that there was a couple of months ago. HKD130 each way (for two) I think. Competitive with the bus but there is no view from the big bridge linking Lantau Island.
Old Jan 29, 2004, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Thanks NM for those informative answers, and thanks Zermatt and og for the tips!
Old Jan 29, 2004, 4:44 pm

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
You're up early and online, StevePER. Go catch that worm

OLCI is great, I've used it a couple of times and found decent seats (front or second row) every time. Just depends who's on your flight and their knowledge about OLCI. So few people actually use it, but for the savvy pax, it's a gem.

As a fellow recently married FT'er - enjoy the trip, particularly the J upgrade HKG/PER. Just watch out that she doesn't enjoy them too much, or she'll expect them all the time .

[This message has been edited by QF WP (edited Jan 29, 2004).]
Old Jan 29, 2004, 11:56 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by QF WP:
You're up early and online, StevePER. Go catch that worm
</font>
When I get into work early, what better way than FT to start the day? It's educational, and it certainly beats working!

I think my chances of scoring a good seat with OLCI might be diminished since I'm joining BA16 (SYD-SIN-LHR) at SIN. I would imagine that the majority of people would continue to LHR, but I could be wrong.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">As a fellow recently married FT'er - enjoy the trip, particularly the J upgrade HKG/PER. Just watch out that she doesn't enjoy them too much, or she'll expect them all the time .
</font>
At the moment she's sufficiently happy with the one upgrade (even if it is a 763), and getting free flights for the honeymoon. It's probably me I should be worried about. Shock confession: I've never been in J before!

Steve

[This message has been edited by StevePER (edited Jan 29, 2004).]
Old Jan 31, 2004, 3:57 pm

Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Sorry I've been slow in replying...cable internet has been out for 36 hours after wild BNE storms fried some of the cable with a direct strike in my area ...36 hours without FT

If you've never done J then a good step to a 763. The next step is 744 an you'll never look back.
Old Feb 6, 2004, 8:04 am
Original Poster

OK, here's another question. When I login to QF frequent flyer I can see our booking, but my fiancee's name is spelt with an extra letter, written as "ANDREANMISS LASTNAME". I never thought much of the extra 'N' before, but tonight I've been playing around on the BA site and I notice they show her first name as "Andrean" as well. We haven't received the paper tickets yet so I have no idea what they will say. Should I be concerned?
Old Feb 6, 2004, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Does her middle name begin with N?

There is a degree of tolerance for small spelling mistakes, but if the ticket's not yet been issued it would be as well to call the airline or travel agent (whoever is issuing) to get the name fixed before issue. That way you'll be sure that there isn't a problem.
Old Feb 9, 2004, 11:06 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Globaliser:
Does her middle name begin with N?</font>
No, the 'N' is still a mystery. The travel agent confirms that it's spelt correctly for the ticket.

Apparently I'm off to Sydney again next week (my first time on the 333!) which means I'll qualify for SG when we arrive in Europe. What are the chances of getting lounge access at LHR terminal 1 and FCO without having received the new card?

Steve
Old Feb 9, 2004, 11:18 pm

StevePER, no problems with lounge access so long as the previous flights that push you over into SG have posted to your account. That newly acquired SG status should then show on your BP, which supercede your Silver card and will give you the access rights.
Old Feb 9, 2004, 11:36 pm

Also, the N at the end of Andrea's name shouldn't be a problem - only worry if the ticket name doesn't match the passport details (then you're in trouble!).

globaliser was correct that pax's christian & second name initial show sometimes without a space - same happened with Mrs QF WP on our recent trip to USA. Wasn't a problem for airlines, C&I or Security.

(edited to add comment)

[This message has been edited by QF WP (edited Feb 09, 2004).]
Old Feb 9, 2004, 11:47 pm

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by StevePER:
What are the chances of getting lounge access at LHR terminal 1 and FCO without having received the new card?

Steve
</font>
Umm the BA lounge dragons have always insisted on seeing my card (regardless of what the BP says), so you may have to do some sweet talking. Perhaps a fresh print out of your status from your FF account might help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.