Search

Chasing SC return run TVL-PER

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2003, 3:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF SG, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, HH Gold
Chasing SC return run TVL-PER

Hi Guys,
Hoping one of you might be able to help me. My SC rollover date was 30-Jun(I am a new silver) and I now am back to 0 SC's. I need to go Townsville-Perth return and want to get as many SC's as possible. Don't really mind paying a full fare so long as I get double SC's. I have tried on the qantas site but I am having all sorts of problems finding out what fare I am looking at... etc.

Anyone know a flight plan for me that would suit? I came back from a job in Perth a few weeks ago on this route PER-ADL-BNE-TVL for 100 SC's. Was kind of hoping I could reproduce both ways at the least for 200SC's.

??? Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 1, 2003, 6:42 am

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Press Photog, that route you used would be the one that I and other here (Willyroo, for one) would have ordinarily used.

Howwever if time is not a factor, then using the changes post 1 July to your favour, try a Flexi Saver fare using TVL/BNE/SYD/MEL/ADL/PER...in fact, you could probably add in a couple of Airlink flights on the way from TVL to BNE (ROK, PSP, MKY, etc).

Might be a little hard to justify on the time or your posterior after sitting on so many seats, but not on the ability to visit every QC along the way (assuming you are QC member) and give us a trip report on the current beer selections in each!

(Edited - cold fingers in BNE tonight)

[This message has been edited by QF WP (edited 07-01-2003).]
Old Jul 1, 2003, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

QF WP,

To do that run TVL-BNE-SYD-MEL-ADL-PER do I just ring up and tell Qantas bookings that is what I am after? I don't see that listed at all on the schedules. What is the best way to book a SC run like that?

Thanks!
Old Jul 1, 2003, 3:58 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
You can ring up and tell the agent that you are looking for that routing; they are quite happy to oblige and some enjoy the challenge of more complex or obscure routings (I've even been given excellent tips by some agents). The other alternative is to use an internet booking engine such as expedia that allows multi-city routings (most do; qantas.com makes this difficult!).
Old Jul 1, 2003, 7:46 pm

Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Press Photog, what number_6 said...I can't improve on the perfect answer.
Old Jul 1, 2003, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

Guys,

Thanks VERY much for your help. I will report back on how I go with the booking.
Old Jul 1, 2003, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

Well, here is how I went..

The only real alternative was TVL-BNE-PER / PER-BNE-TVL. I tried heaps of other combinations with the agent on the phone but they were all going to cost quite a bit more. I got a Flexi-Saver (K-Class) for $1619.78 total. It was going to be an extra $600-$650 to come back PER-ADL-BNE-TVL and I figured that was a bit rude hitting the company footing the bill for this an extra $600-$650 so I could pick up an extra 40 SC's. I was also offered TVL-MKY-BNE-MEL-PER / PER-MEL-BNE-MKY-TVL but it was about $2300 and each leg took virtually a whole day.

So all in all not a lot of success but happy to be getting full SC's on a K flight. I travelled the exact same flight recently for 1/2 the SC's so that is good.

Final question, will any FT'ers be in the BNE QC 07-JUL at about 4pm? How about PER QC on 13-JUL evening?

I have one complimentry QC invite that I got when I made QC silver and I plan to use that between 5.45am and 8.45am after the all nighter from PER.

Thanks guys for your help, VERY appreciated!!!

Old Jul 1, 2003, 10:34 pm

I may be travelling PER-SYD on the afternoon of July 13. That's when it's currently scheduled anyway, but it's a work trip so it can and probably will change at any time. If I was flying that day, it would be either at 14:35 or 16:25.

Steve
Old Jul 2, 2003, 12:05 am

Programs: QF Plat (Life Gold), SQ PPS
It's not exactly a cheap way of getting status, is it? For $1600 you could get eg. 8 MEL-SYD E-deal fares which would net you 160 SC's.
Old Jul 2, 2003, 12:35 am

Press Photog, that's what I was afraid of - poor connections. That why I try and fly on Sundays to Perth so I can route BNE/ADL/PER and still get in at a decent time.

I'm looking to fly to either SYD and/or CBA probably on that date - if I can organise it...I'll let you know. Beer in BNE QC should never be rainchecked...
Old Jul 2, 2003, 1:17 am
Original Poster

Steve,

My flight PER-BNE doesn't depart until 11.20pm so I doubt I will get there that early! :-) Thanks for the thought however!!!!

QF WP,

If you were in at BNE Monday arvo that would be cool, let me know.

Also, there wouldn't happen to be a few people out there with a wadful of QC invites would there?? (wanting to sell a couple?? :-) ) I don't want to sound like I am freeloading my way in there but I am hoping to have enough SC's by about October to get Gold so I can't see the value in forking out the $600 or so for a few entries into QC until I get it included with Gold. Any thoughts?
Old Jul 2, 2003, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

Guess asking about QC invites is the wrong thing to do?

Hey, who can recommend a good ***** hotel in Perth. My last two trips have been at the Sheraton and Hyatt Regency, nice but would be good to try another...

Any recommendations?
Old Jul 2, 2003, 10:41 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Press Photog:
Guess asking about QC invites is the wrong thing to do? </font>
The QC invites that come in my annual Platinum kit say not valid without presence of the member. Are there other kinds that can be used independantly? Mine don't do you any good unless I am travelling with you.
Old Jul 2, 2003, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

Mmmm, interesting... I was given one recently by a friend and held onto it for a week or so to use it. It was business card sized and got me entry on my own..

???
Old Jul 3, 2003, 12:22 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
The valuable QC invitations are the business envelope sized ones from around 5 years ago. Undated and transferrable. No member needed to hold your hand. I've got some and I'm not giving (or selling) them away! Of course there are the "card" sized ones dated or undated that WP, SG and QC members have by the millions (these are the ones that need a member to get you in). These things have been discussed in many threads in the past. I can sell you some Ansett GW invitations if you are interested.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.