Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QF good at upgrading its Plats?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2008, 3:54 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald), PC Platinum, HH Gold
No op-ups for me yet as a QF Platinum.

Funny enough I had 3 op-ups to business class, 2 on QF and 1 on AY, as a QF Silver.

Why do passengers travelling together and have not been allocated seats together always want to swap to better seats to sit together? Just because they want to sit together does not entitle them to a forward seat, or window or aisle. Accept seats down the back somewhere, 2 middle seats would be ideal, and be done with it.

I would not give up my aisle seat in exit row or bulkhead for anyone. By the way I do not pre-allocate bassinet seats. I have specifically pre-allocated these seats to avoid having a recliner in front of me for the duration of the flight. Someone else can be the hero....
Old Jan 16, 2008, 5:12 am

Programs: Qantas
Well last year I got 3 Y - J domestic OPUP Mel-Bris x 2 and Mel-Adl x 1. Additionally I got an inflight upgrade on a Mel-Auckland flight (not sure if this is called an OPUP).

For the AKL flight I had organised a overwing exit seat and just as the plane was about to pull back I was asked if I would give up the seat for a family (mother & son), I said that should be okay (it's only a short flight) and after offering I was told I could move upstairs to Business. Other passengers around me had their mouths very wide open, I think one of them had refused the request to move (I wasn't paying attention) so that was very nice for me but not them

Today was my first flight as a WP PG for the first time and I scored another OPUP Mel-Adl. So in all last year I did 95 flights with 3 OPUPs in Domestic and 1 inflight upgrade. BTW none of the upgardes come when checking in using OLCI which I use 70% of the time.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 11:42 am

Programs: Amex switch hitter
Quote: Do you think moving seats (which you could of course refused - as I have seen people do before) is worth a several thousand dollar upgrade? I have seen I think 3 in flight upgrades 2 of which were doctors for assisting in an emergency. The other I can't remember but of similar importance
Reply:
The world is all about "what are you going to do for me?"
When I have assisted in emergencies and been upgraded, another passenger told me I should bill the airline, that an upgrade wasn't enough.

Last edited by Facedoc; Jan 16, 2008 at 11:44 am Reason: grammar
Old Jan 16, 2008, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by Coyote25
Well last year I got 3 Y - J domestic OPUP Mel-Bris x 2 and Mel-Adl x 1. Additionally I got an inflight upgrade on a Mel-Auckland flight (not sure if this is called an OPUP).

For the AKL flight I had organised a overwing exit seat and just as the plane was about to pull back I was asked if I would give up the seat for a family (mother & son), I said that should be okay (it's only a short flight) and after offering I was told I could move upstairs to Business. Other passengers around me had their mouths very wide open, I think one of them had refused the request to move (I wasn't paying attention) so that was very nice for me but not them

Today was my first flight as a WP PG for the first time and I scored another OPUP Mel-Adl. So in all last year I did 95 flights with 3 OPUPs in Domestic and 1 inflight upgrade. BTW none of the upgardes come when checking in using OLCI which I use 70% of the time.
Similar in-flight upgrade happened for me the other day on LHR-MEL. I had upgraded to J using points and somehow the J cabin was oversold (Don't ask me how I managed to get a points upgrade and they then still managed to oversell). Was seated next to a couple with a sub-2 year old child. A woman from a window seat came up and asked them if they would like 2 seats on the side to themselves and explained that her husband had been bumped to F (i'm assuming he was WP) and they wanted to sit together in J. She then asked me very nicely if i'd like to swap with her husband so he could come back here. A few words from her to the FA's and CSM, and I was swapping 24D for 3A all the way home. I'm still wondering how all the stars aligned in my favour that day!

Appart from that, I've just managed the one Y-J bump on a PER-MEL flight (where QF776 was cancelled).
Old Jan 16, 2008, 4:01 pm

Programs: QFF WP :-0, AC, FlyBuys, Porter's Liquor Store, Mother's Helper
Originally Posted by Facedoc
Quote: Do you think moving seats (which you could of course refused - as I have seen people do before) is worth a several thousand dollar upgrade? I have seen I think 3 in flight upgrades 2 of which were doctors for assisting in an emergency. The other I can't remember but of similar importance
Reply:
The world is all about "what are you going to do for me?"
When I have assisted in emergencies and been upgraded, another passenger told me I should bill the airline, that an upgrade wasn't enough.
It doesn't help that the OW slogan is, "Oneworld revolves around you".

Lucky for you drewbles that's better than any lottery win.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 6:08 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by GoldFlyer
Lucky for you drewbles that's better than any lottery win.
Personally I'd take a lottery win (provided it is the right lottery) - can then pay for many F tickets.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Personally I'd take a lottery win (provided it is the right lottery) - can then pay for many F tickets.
I agree A well crafted AONE4 is not that expensive and a lottery win would allow the 'please turn left sir' line to be heard far more

Still, A big thank you to the person who did give up their seat for me!
Old Jan 16, 2008, 7:23 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
What Goldflyer meant was that this op-up is so unlikely that it is much more likely to win the lottery instead....
Old Jan 16, 2008, 10:13 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, Skywards - Gold
I have had a few upgrades over the years. Mostly from Y to J but there was one to F.
However, what i found interesting is that twice now they have upgraded my girlfriend (she is QFF Silver) also.
Once I was in business and they upgraded her to be with me on the SYD - MEL domestic leg of a BKK - SYD - MEL journey. Coincidently the BKK - SYD flight was the one upgrade I have had from J - F.
They also upgraded both of us to business on a MEL - LHR flight late last year when we were in whY.
I assume it is because I am WP and we checked in together.
In any event, we were both pretty happy about it.
Although now she refuses to fly economy....
Old Jan 17, 2008, 12:11 am

Programs: CX, EK, AF, EY, LH, NZ, QF, VA, Avis, Hertz, AMEX
Ahhh...the old "can't go back" syndrome! I know it well. I made the fatal mistake of introducing Mrs Maverick to J on a holiday a few years ago. Now it's costing me!

Haven't had any OP-UP domestic in Oz...but had J - F upgrades on EK on each leg of a trans-tasman trip. Thank god Mrs M hasn't seen F...especially the EK suites!
Old Jan 17, 2008, 2:37 am

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by pfish
Once I was in business and they upgraded her to be with me on the SYD - MEL domestic leg of a BKK - SYD - MEL journey. Coincidently the BKK - SYD flight was the one upgrade I have had from J - F.
How is it that you were in J and your GF was in Y ?
Old Jan 17, 2008, 4:23 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by ozzie
Tells you something about pfish's understanding of the word "gentleman"....
Old Jan 17, 2008, 4:22 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, Skywards - Gold
Originally Posted by ozzie
Long story but essentially I had booked a circle pacific business fare well before even meeting my girlfriend (almost a year before the actual trip). She then decided to join me on the return part of the trip as part of her move to Australia (she is from the UK). I couldn't refund the ticket to travel in Y without losing a portion of the paid ticket so she agreed it was fair enough to travel in business (especially given it was half used by the time we were flying together).
Of course for all subsequent trips (eg the MEL - LHR mentioned) we have been in the same class.

And as for being a gentleman - of course I offered her the business seat on every flight
Old Jan 17, 2008, 4:41 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by pfish
Long story but essentially I had booked a circle pacific business fare well before even meeting my girlfriend (almost a year before the actual trip). She then decided to join me on the return part of the trip as part of her move to Australia (she is from the UK). I couldn't refund the ticket to travel in Y without losing a portion of the paid ticket so she agreed it was fair enough to travel in business (especially given it was half used by the time we were flying together).
Of course for all subsequent trips (eg the MEL - LHR mentioned) we have been in the same class.

And as for being a gentleman - of course I offered her the business seat on every flight
Such an understanding soul, so I guess I am not the only one with such a souvenir from my travels (the now Mrs Blackcloud)
How many times did you offer her the seat and she turn it down before you agreed to take it? (Note Seinfeld reference)
Old Jan 21, 2008, 10:36 am

Programs: QFF WP
Originally Posted by eoinnz
Do you think moving seats (which you could of course refused - as I have seen people do before) is worth a several thousand dollar upgrade?
It's difficult to see how the additional cost to the airline of a single existing passenger flying in J instead of Y (assuming they aren't displacing another fare-paying J) even constitutes as a rounding error, in the context of a whole flight's revenue (I'd be astounded if it was even $100).

I think the point there is how ridiculously stingy it was of QF not to upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.