Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas Limits Dell Usage On Board

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2006, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Qantas Limits Dell Usage On Board

I don't normally post on the QF board, but I ran across this article on smh.com.au via engadget.com and didn't see it when I searched here for "Dell."

Sorry to the mods if it's already been posted.

Qantas is issuing an advisory to all passengers on its flights on the safe use of Dell notebooks following the recall of 4.1 million batteries announced by the PC manufacturer last week.

The airline said that although passengers would be allowed to carry their Dells either as checked or cabin baggage, they could only use them on battery power or through the aircraft power supply available in some first and business class cabins once they have first removed the batteries from the unit.
http://www.smh.com.au/news/biztech/s...012601607.html

Greg
Old Aug 23, 2006, 2:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I was flying from CBR yesterday and the information there said that they were not permitted as checked baggage but Dell laptops had to go in hand luggage with the battery removed

Daveh
Old Aug 23, 2006, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Gosh - from bad to worse for Dell, isn't it?

One could do what my Apple-fanatic friend does - places those white apple logos over the PC laptop logo.

(Haven't times changed when people start thinking of creative ways to smuggle water and laptops onto aircraft?).
Old Aug 23, 2006, 5:54 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
You've got to love this comment (bolding mine):
they could only use them on battery power or through the aircraft power supply available in some first and business class cabins once they have first removed the batteries from the unit.
Its going to be a little tricky to use a laptop on battery power when the battery has been removed!
Old Aug 23, 2006, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, QF Gold
Originally Posted by NM
You've got to love this comment (bolding mine):

Its going to be a little tricky to use a laptop on battery power when the battery has been removed!
No it makes sense, the problems only occur when the AC power is connected and the battery is in. So just on battery alone is fine, or on AC power with no battery is fine as well. The removing battery only applies to the second part, maybe the language could be clearer though.

I dont think this hysteria about Dells makes sense though, there is evidence of other laptops and devices being prone to this, its just that Dell have done this huge recall.
Old Aug 23, 2006, 6:02 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Well it's really just excluding the possibility of using the onboard power while the battery is in (I presume that leads to the deadly explosions all across the USA).

You could still use the laptop onboard on battery power.
Old Aug 23, 2006, 6:16 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Pretty poor given only certain batteries are effected:
See https://www.dellbatteryprogram.com/

Think I will be printing this out for my next flight
Old Aug 23, 2006, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
On QF128 earlier this week an announcemnt was made for any wishing to use their DELL laptops thay they needed to be checked by the CSM beforehand.

Was surprised but now I know why.
Old Aug 23, 2006, 10:58 pm

Programs: QF LTG AC *G
Here's the link on the QF site: http://qantas.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/q...hp?p_faqid=553

Seems like they should only be enforcing restrictions on computers covered by the Dell recall, anything else is heavy handed .

If your computer/battery isn't in the recall, suggest you document this by printing out the Dell website, you could even enter your battery serial into the Dell online checker and print the result.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 2:49 am

Do any of the domestic fleet have oboard seat power?

(Bar the 747's and 330's that sometimes pop up on the timetables).

That being the case, is this a moot comment on domestic flights? About as helpful as giving arrivals information for Melbourne when arriving in Sydney!
Old Aug 24, 2006, 6:32 am
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
Do any of the domestic fleet have oboard seat power?

(Bar the 747's and 330's that sometimes pop up on the timetables).

That being the case, is this a moot comment on domestic flights? About as helpful as giving arrivals information for Melbourne when arriving in Sydney!
Nope, only the international aircraft have it, and only in business and first class.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, QF Gold
Oh what a suprise...

Apple Computer Incorporated has recalled 1.8 million Sony-built laptop batteries that could overheat and catch fire.
http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/app...012701551.html

Now what will QF do?
Old Aug 24, 2006, 8:55 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by seanp7
One could do what my Apple-fanatic friend does - places those white apple logos over the PC laptop logo.
Oops, guess that won't work now.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 11:24 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Question What about my Sony VAIO?

Well I have not seen anything regarding my Sony Vaio and all the bateries in question appear to be manufactured by Sony.
Oh well I think it is all a conspiracy by Sony to tarnish the reputation of their competitors.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by Blackcloud
Well I have not seen anything regarding my Sony Vaio and all the bateries in question appear to be manufactured by Sony.
Oh well I think it is all a conspiracy by Sony to tarnish the reputation of their competitors.
Due to the business that I'm in I have some non-public knowledge of this situation and I can say that more than Dell and Apple are affected. There will be more announcements soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.