Wiki Posts
Search

APEC card

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2014, 2:50 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by lsed
My APEC card has not yet been pre cleared by the US. Just about every country has cleared it though.

I do have my interim physical card on hand with all the other countries printed on the back, how likely will the US immigration let me clear using the APEC lane?
In my experience, even at major US airports like MIA, US officials know nothing about the APEC card. One immigration officer even asked me if it was some kind of phone card. Therefore, I find the benefit of the card to be minimal in the US so I wouldn't worry too much if you can't use it there.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 2:56 am

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
Originally Posted by danger
In my experience, even at major US airports like MIA, US officials know nothing about the APEC card. One immigration officer even asked me if it was some kind of phone card. Therefore, I find the benefit of the card to be minimal in the US so I wouldn't worry too much if you can't use it there.

Wow ok I'll just try my luck then

Phone card, lol!

But to be honest it really looks like a cheap piece of fake ID card made in the streets of Bangkok.

If anyone is trying to see your application status you can try this link:
http://www.businessmobility.org/key/status_tracker.htm

Oh and what about access to Russia - I have RUS on my card, do I need to apply for a Visa to enter the country if I'm not on a business trip?
Old Jul 8, 2014, 3:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Since the US is now issuing APEC cards, I have found that APEC is now quite clearly signed in the US at the immigration halls. Was passing through Newark a few days ago and even there on the east coast, very easy to find appropriate lane
Old Jul 8, 2014, 3:39 am

Programs: QF-LTS & P, SQ-TPPS, IC-RA, HH-D, *wood G, Others
I have found the US and Canada to be more informed, at least at major incoming/outgoing airports, about the card recently and, in fact the "argument" has been about whether I should be APEC card/having a work visa/not requiring a visa debate and the different stay durations.

I'd be inclined to ask for an interim card, as long as you know that becomes the issue/renewal date of the card, but it's been a real benefit and huge time-saver flying into and out of both the US and Canada for me.

I think they will still recognise it for going through the "crew lane" and "specially designated" lanes (as Dave says), which all it does really, but that can be HUGE.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 10:26 pm

Programs: QF PL (OW Emerald) Lifetime Gold; HGP Explorist; SPG Gold; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lsed
My APEC card has not yet been pre cleared by the US. Just about every country has cleared it though.

I do have my interim physical card on hand with all the other countries printed on the back, how likely will the US immigration let me clear using the APEC lane?
Are you sure that the US pre-clears APEC cards? As of last month, when I went through LAX, I used my APEC card, and it has not had any formal US pre-clearance (it is 2 years old)
Old Jul 8, 2014, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by dtm1
Are you sure that the US pre-clears APEC cards? As of last month, when I went through LAX, I used my APEC card, and it has not had any formal US pre-clearance (it is 2 years old)
Unless things have changed there is no automatic business visa, however APEC card holders are able to avoid the regular queues. At LAX there is a lane at immigration for APEC card holders
Old Jul 9, 2014, 12:13 am

Latest from The Business Mobility group.

The USA and Canada do not appear on APEC cards as they are at this stage only transitional members. At some time down the track if/when they become full members then they will appear on the card.

In relation to Russia:

As of 1 June 2013 Russia became a fully participating economy for the purposes of the APEC Business Travel Card (ABTC) program.

At your request, we will now be forwarding your application details to Russia for consideration. Please note however, that any existing ABTC holders or those who applied before 1 June 2013 will be considered by this economy on a best endeavours basis only and we are unable to advise on the processing time frame for any such pre clearance requests.

You are able to track your approvals on the Business Mobility Group website at: http://www.businessmobility.org/key/CardStatus.asp

Please note that you will need your Australian Application Number and then click on the 'Check Application Status' button.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 12:56 am

The USA is now accepting applications for APEC cards from US citizens

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...-u.s.-citizens

but looking at the FAQ ( http://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-tr...ked-questions2 ) like it is only being set up to allow the fast tracking through airports rather than a full visa , so wouldn't be expecting to be able to bypass normal visa requirements in USA any time soon
Old Jul 9, 2014, 3:57 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Any one has experience on using ABTC in KLIA? The counter always seems unmanned.

I have terrible time trying to use ABTC card in JB. Although there is counter 18 which shown MACS and ABTC but the officer has no clue aboutABTC card.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 4:08 am

[QUOTE=lingua101;23167403]Any one has experience on using ABTC in KLIA? The counter always seems unmanned.]

There are two "orange carpet" priority/APEC lanes to the left as you arrive in KLIA immigration, usually one of the two positions is manned, depending on timing, both can be. They recognise the card, but they rarely check if you are entitled to be in that lane based on my experience.

Similarly on the way out of KLIA, the lanes are to the left of centre and frequently, especially in busy times, have many people who shouldn't line up there in line (I know because I have been cranky and challenged the patrolling immigration officer about it, who has checked and reduced the line by half or more on several occasions over the last few years). Usually there is only one of the two positions manned here despite there also being 2 carpets.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 4:45 am

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
I have actually seen a tiny sign for APEC to use the crew lane back in mid 2013 in ORD.

Imagine the agony of immigration clearance at the FCT in FRA only to be stuck in line for 2 hours with no Wifi at ORD.

I wasnt APEC cleared back then and the queue basically spurred me to apply for the card.
It has since saved me a lot of time in airports like NRT, DPS, CGK

But thanks for the clarification - I don't need pre clearance for immigration. I will be more than happy with the fast track at the crew lane.

Regarding Russia -
I am pre cleared and have it written on the back of my card.
Does this mean I will not need a Visa at all? I've heard the visas issued for tourists can be really inflexible.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 5:28 pm

Programs: QF Bronze, OZ Diamond, KE
Any one has experience on using ABTC in KLIA? The counter always seems unmanned.
Agreed. THey send you to the 'Priority Lane,' which tends to be quite long. In the wake of MH370 the Immigration staff have gotten more rigorous in their fingerprinting and checking, which has slowed them down. Still moves quicker than the regular queue, so still a relative improvement!
I have terrible time trying to use ABTC card in JB. Although there is counter 18 which shown MACS and ABTC but the officer has no clue aboutABTC card.
They claim to have never heard of it, but they actually have. The cynic in me says they claim to have never heard of it because they (mistakenly) believe they need to go and get their set of stamps (which they keep locked away) to stamp your passport.

If you (politely) insist that their own sign says ABTC (one time I got the officer to come round and show her the sign) and you're therefore allowed to use the lane, they'll let you use the lane in the end (they may get a supervisor to confirm). Stand your ground politely and you'll be right...

Note that if you're based in Singapore, you're allowed to apply for MACS if you travel regularly to Malaysia, which means you can use the automated gates and save you a lot of hassle. I wish I'd known about it sooner, would've preserved pages in my passport and saved even more time!
Old Jul 17, 2014, 7:30 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

My APEC card expires on 18 November. I will arrive in Seoul two weeks or so before but won't be leaving until 26 November. Does this mean I'll be in breach of my visa when I go to leave? Will there be consequences? Is it possible to get a short extension (presumably by paying) while in Seoul or will I have to get a whole separate visa before leaving Australia?

I'm seriously low on pages in my passport.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by danger
My APEC card expires on 18 November. I will arrive in Seoul two weeks or so before but won't be leaving until 26 November. Does this mean I'll be in breach of my visa when I go to leave? Will there be consequences? Is it possible to get a short extension (presumably by paying) while in Seoul or will I have to get a whole separate visa before leaving Australia?

I'm seriously low on pages in my passport.
You should put in a new application asap (probably a few weeks ago). You can still use the current card to get in, I think they are less concerned about you leaving as they give you 4 - 6 weeks stay. In the meantime you may be pre-cleared and have your new (if interim) card issued.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 3:10 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by infoworks
You should put in a new application asap (probably a few weeks ago). You can still use the current card to get in, I think they are less concerned about you leaving as they give you 4 - 6 weeks stay. In the meantime you may be pre-cleared and have your new (if interim) card issued.
Thanks for that.

Unfortunately I'm currently abroad but, more than that, I no longer qualify for the card. I will look into the four to six weeks stay a bit more but hopefully it won't be an issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.