Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Award Table?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2005, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF SG-OW Sapphire, AA nobody, Marriott nobody, Velocity-where everybody's a nobody,Hertz#1 Club Gold
Which Award Table?

Hello Folks,
Time to redeem some points before May 25th
For a J award (U) SYD-LAX-DFW-LAX-SYD does the Qantas Award table apply or the oneworld Award table? (160,000 or 175,000 points respectively)
I'm thinking the QF table.....

TIA

Last edited by Dazer; Apr 14, 2005 at 12:25 pm Reason: Added link to Award Tables
Old Apr 14, 2005, 10:11 am

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
Surely it would be the QF table if you use QF codeshare (AA operated) flights between LAX and DFW
Old Apr 14, 2005, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Get it ticketed before 20th April. Otherwise 'Fuel Levy" will increase by $124 to $240.
Old Apr 14, 2005, 5:55 pm

Programs: QR Platinum
Originally Posted by RichardMEL
Surely it would be the QF table if you use QF codeshare (AA operated) flights between LAX and DFW
Award flights generally can't be booked with a QF number unless operated by QF. But it will be the QF table anyway, because AA has the same redemption levels. And you'll get the advantage of the more generous stopover rules...

(c) Joint QF/BA and QF/AA Award Flight Itineraries - On the services of BA or AA, one free en route Stopover will be allowed in addition to the point of turnaround. Another free Stopover will be allowed at the transfer point between QF and BA or AA flights in one direction only. Two additional Stopovers may be redeemed at 10,000 Points each.
Old Apr 14, 2005, 6:13 pm

Programs: QF Plat./OW Emerald + Life Gold, IC Plat. Royal Ambassador, etc.
Originally Posted by StevePER
Award flights generally can't be booked with a QF number unless operated by QF. But it will be the QF table anyway, because AA has the same redemption levels. And you'll get the advantage of the more generous stopover rules...
I was about to ask about the stopover issue - I wanna book with miles a LHR-NYC-BOSTON-SFO-LHR trip, and this seems to add quite a lot more miles (in Y or J or F) than a LHR-SFO return. Is this right, what can I do to keep the miles down - am totally new to this part of things, first international trip I will ever have totally booked on QF miles, what tricks am I missing ?!? Any advise how to do this better/cheaper much appreciated !

Last edited by Aisle Seat H; Apr 14, 2005 at 6:15 pm
Old Apr 14, 2005, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF SG-OW Sapphire, AA nobody, Marriott nobody, Velocity-where everybody's a nobody,Hertz#1 Club Gold
Originally Posted by serfty
Get it ticketed before 20th April. Otherwise 'Fuel Levy" will increase by $124 to $240.
Yes serfty, That's what I'm planning to do ^

Quote:
(c) Joint QF/BA and QF/AA Award Flight Itineraries - On the services of BA or AA, one free en route Stopover will be allowed in addition to the point of turnaround. Another free Stopover will be allowed at the transfer point between QF and BA or AA flights in one direction only. Two additional Stopovers may be redeemed at 10,000 Points each.
Great, so this means that I could do SYD-LAX(stopover)-DFW(turnaround point)-LAX-SYD (and that would cost me 160,000 points?) but not SYD-LAX(stopover)-DFW(turnaround point)-LAX(stopover)-SYD ?

This is also my first award flight

Last edited by Dazer; Apr 14, 2005 at 6:28 pm
Old Apr 14, 2005, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by Aisle Seat H
I was about to ask about the stopover issue - I wanna book with miles a LHR-NYC-BOSTON-SFO-LHR trip, and this seems to add quite a lot more miles (in Y or J or F) than a LHR-SFO return. Is this right, what can I do to keep the miles down - am totally new to this part of things, first international trip I will ever have totally booked on QF miles, what tricks am I missing ?!? Any advise how to do this better/cheaper much appreciated !
The way I figure it, that's 11722 miles so you're looking at 80,000 points in economy for LHR-SFO return. You get one stopover free in addition to the turnaround point (because you're only travelling on partner airlines), plus another stopover that will cost you 10,000. Total 90,000 points.

If you were going in economy there may be a slight saving in waiting until after May 25. I make it 86,600 plus the assisted booking fee of 2,500.

A third option is to book a oneworld award before May 25 for 100,000 points in economy. Slightly more expensive, but you can add a couple more destinations for a total of 5 stops.

Hope this helps! I looked into lots of options like this a while back when working out how to burn my points. I came up with PER-AYQ-CNS-HKG-BKK-PER for 70,000 points. Sadly I'm not going to do it, but I'm trying to convince one of my mates to do it for novelty value.

Steve
Old Apr 14, 2005, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by Dazer
Great, so this means that I could do SYD-LAX(stopover)-DFW(turnaround point)-LAX-SYD (and that would cost me 160,000 points?) but not SYD-LAX(stopover)-DFW(turnaround point)-LAX(stopover)-SYD ?
160,000 sounds right. I think you would be able to stopover in both directions if it wasn't for rule (d) - Only one Stopover is permitted at any one city in any Award Flight Itinerary. One stop would be the transfer point between QF and AA, and the other would be your free additional en-route stop. So although you can't stop in LAX twice, you can theoretically fit in another destination for free. The trick would be fitting it in the 54 miles you've got to play with.

Steve
Old Apr 14, 2005, 8:48 pm
Original Poster

160,000 sounds right. I think you would be able to stopover in both directions if it wasn't for rule (d) - Only one Stopover is permitted at any one city in any Award Flight Itinerary. One stop would be the transfer point between QF and AA, and the other would be your free additional en-route stop. So although you can't stop in LAX twice, you can theoretically fit in another destination for free. The trick would be fitting it in the 54 miles you've got to play with.

Steve
Thanks Steve!! What about a SYD-BNE(stopover)-LAX(stopover)-DFW(turnaround point)-LAX-MEL(stopover)-SYD ?? or at least either the BNE or MEL?

The ultimate destination is AUS but alas DFW-AUS is 190 miles so a cheapie Y class is in order or a road trip

Last edited by Dazer; Apr 14, 2005 at 8:52 pm
Old Apr 14, 2005, 11:05 pm

Thanks Steve!! What about a SYD-BNE(stopover)-LAX(stopover)-DFW(turnaround point)-LAX-MEL(stopover)-SYD ?? or at least either the BNE or MEL?

The ultimate destination is AUS but alas DFW-AUS is 190 miles so a cheapie Y class is in order or a road trip
Including BNE or MEL pushes you over the mileage limit. If there is any opportunity for an extra stop I think it will be in the US. Are you aware that you can skip DFW completely and go straight from LAX to AUS?

Steve
Old Apr 14, 2005, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

Including BNE or MEL pushes you over the mileage limit. If there is any opportunity for an extra stop I think it will be in the US. Are you aware that you can skip DFW completely and go straight from LAX to AUS?

Steve
Yes, but I have friends in both cities (spending most of my time in AUS)so I've got to fly into one of them and or by a cheapie Y or a car rental to visit the other.
Old Apr 14, 2005, 11:28 pm

Yes, but I have friends in both cities (spending most of my time in AUS)so I've got to fly into one of them and or by a cheapie Y or a car rental to visit the other.
If it's any help, you could start your award in BNE and then go to both DFW and AUS.

Steve
Old Apr 15, 2005, 8:17 am

The way I figure it, that's 11722 miles so you're looking at 80,000 points in economy for LHR-SFO return. You get one stopover free in addition to the turnaround point (because you're only travelling on partner airlines), plus another stopover that will cost you 10,000. Total 90,000 points.

If you were going in economy there may be a slight saving in waiting until after May 25. I make it 86,600 plus the assisted booking fee of 2,500.

A third option is to book a oneworld award before May 25 for 100,000 points in economy. Slightly more expensive, but you can add a couple more destinations for a total of 5 stops.

Hope this helps! I looked into lots of options like this a while back when working out how to burn my points. I came up with PER-AYQ-CNS-HKG-BKK-PER for 70,000 points. Sadly I'm not going to do it, but I'm trying to convince one of my mates to do it for novelty value.

Steve
Thanks a lot for that StevePER, very good of you, though I am actually more confused than before now !!!

Here is why -
QF quoted me over 100,000 (110,000 I think). Is this cos they did it with two partner airlines - BA and AA ?

Sounds a great option, could stick in another stop or two, but I have no idea of how oneworld award's work - is there a link/any info anyone can share with me so I can look into this option further ?

At first assumed you had got this wrong, but you are right ! So some middle-distance awards are infact BETTER value after May 24 ! Amazing... was this noted in the Miles Thievery debate ?!?

Thanks StevePER and everyone else, much appreciated.

Last edited by Aisle Seat H; Apr 15, 2005 at 9:24 am
Old Apr 16, 2005, 2:48 am

Originally Posted by Aisle Seat H
QF quoted me over 100,000 (110,000 I think). Is this cos they did it with two partner airlines - BA and AA ?
No idea how they came up with that number. Maybe they were quoting you for a oneworld award (which would be 100,000). BA and AA are both listed in the Qantas Award table, so I would have assumed that you could combine the two and pay 80,000 plus the stopover fee.

Sounds a great option, could stick in another stop or two, but I have no idea of how oneworld award's work - is there a link/any info anyone can share with me so I can look into this option further ?
I think it's pretty simple. It's mileage based, you can have up to five stops, you need to fly on at least two oneworld airlines other than QF, and you can't stop in the same city twice. For 100,000 points you have up to 17,500 miles to play with, so there's plenty of options.

At first assumed you had got this wrong, but you are right ! So some middle-distance awards are infact BETTER value after May 24 ! Amazing... was this noted in the Miles Thievery debate ?!?
I think it was noted that some destinations were better value after May 24, but they were few and far between. I think someone made up a table that listed lots of them.

Steve
Old Apr 16, 2005, 5:41 pm

No idea how they came up with that number. Maybe they were quoting you for a oneworld award (which would be 100,000). BA and AA are both listed in the Qantas Award table, so I would have assumed that you could combine the two and pay 80,000 plus the stopover fee.

I think it's pretty simple. It's mileage based, you can have up to five stops, you need to fly on at least two oneworld airlines other than QF, and you can't stop in the same city twice. For 100,000 points you have up to 17,500 miles to play with, so there's plenty of options.

I think it was noted that some destinations were better value after May 24, but they were few and far between. I think someone made up a table that listed lots of them.

Steve
Ta (again). A great help.

Only thing to add is that ALL F awards, certainly every sample one I just tried, are more expensive after May 24. So even on the LHR-SFO example, its a lot cheaper in Y and J after May 24 but rather more in F.

Last edited by Aisle Seat H; Apr 17, 2005 at 11:30 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.