Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas charged me AU$ 145 for Australian Visa

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas charged me AU$ 145 for Australian Visa

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2017, 9:35 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
The Australian govt fee for same-day visa issue (tourist class 600) is AUD 135, so QF charged a big AUD 10 for their processing. For non-same day there are other much cheaper fees Some airlines choose not to provide this service as it is too much hassle, be thankful that QF does (and that Oz is able to process it so quickly, when expedited -- try doing this for entry into USA for example when from certain countries).
Old May 17, 2017, 9:48 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
(deleted)

Last edited by og; May 17, 2017 at 9:54 pm
Old May 17, 2017, 9:53 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by number_6
Some airlines choose not to provide this service as it is too much hassle, be thankful that QF does (and that Oz is able to process it so quickly, when expedited -- try doing this for entry into USA for example when from certain countries).
So you do know just how much hassle you go through to get a USA visa after you have been to a "bad" country (ie Iran). Not approved for ESTA, pay $(hundreds), photographs, personal interview at the nearest US Consulate and so on. And all this is with an Oz Passport!
Old May 21, 2017, 8:02 pm

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Yeah nothing to complain about there. The A$145 is for the service fee to get it done there and then (and guaranteed instant).

Last year, we had a similar story at HKG travelling to Australia. Wife's permanent visa had expired (and we forgot about it). Counter staff at CX HKG (who after calling some number) said we had could not apply for a tourist ETA and needed to to apply for a new permanent visa because the former could affect the latter. So we did this online on the spot - and it cost ~A$300 - but obviously the visa did not come through in time.

Then we decided to wing it and just apply for a tourist ETA. Ended up paying CX US$50 to get it done at the airport, and we were then able to get processed and get onto the flight. So we intended to spend a leisurely 2 hours or so at the Pier F, ended up just making the flight.

In the end, the permanent visa came through - but it was a waste of money, because it is only valid for 1 year. Staff probably gave us wrong advice, which in hindsight I should have just pushed back on. A tourist ETA would have sufficed.

But at the moment, being unprepared, you have very little options. Only ourselves to blame for not being prepared.
Old May 23, 2017, 10:36 am

Programs: QF LTG, LH (SEN*** till 02/26), AF, AA, AB-G†
LH has done it for free for my mother in law. She had 0 and O mixed in her passport number, so her original Visa was not valid. Easily done via GDS at the ticket desk in 2 Minutes with instant confirmation.

So a nice little earnee for QF.
Old May 24, 2017, 9:07 am

Programs: EY Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by Tyrolean
LH has done it for free for my mother in law. She had 0 and O mixed in her passport number, so her original Visa was not valid. Easily done via GDS at the ticket desk in 2 Minutes with instant confirmation.

So a nice little earnee for QF.
At least she had a visa. I'd imagine a much easier scenario to deal with. OP didn't even think he needed a visa, they went above and beyond, most airlines would just bounce the pax and tell them to sort it out themselves, visas being the pax responsibility.
Old May 24, 2017, 9:00 pm

Programs: Qantas Gold, Virgin Australia Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Reds2011
OP didn't even think he needed a visa, they went above and beyond, most airlines would just bounce the pax and tell them to sort it out themselves, visas being the pax responsibility.
I had this happen a few years ago at LHR when travelling to MEL. I am Australian but my girlfriend was travelling on a British passport and we similarly had no idea a visa was needed. We were flying with SQ and the check in staff pointed this out and sent us to the SQ ticket desk where the staff sorted the visa out for us for free. We were sorted in 10 mins time and back to the check in desk. Good performance from SQ! ^
Old May 29, 2017, 7:09 am

Programs: Now back at base level for these 2:QFF-now NB, Virgin-Velocity-NR
You must realise that Australia and its govt sees itself as a fortress.
Every who is not an Aust citizen/NZ citizen will need a a visa to enter.
We do not have visas on arrival, we do have transit visas for which to have to apply for prior to arrival into the country.
We are even booting people who are not citizens out, if they commit crimes and are imprisoned for more than a year.
Its also a money making venture for Aust govts as they charge for most visas.
Old May 29, 2017, 7:18 am

Programs: Now back at base level for these 2:QFF-now NB, Virgin-Velocity-NR
Anyone who does not have a visa, and succeeds in getting onto the plane somehow if they succeed, and thus arriving into Aust's international airport secure zone, will face problems.
So the QF staff in BKK were on the ball, and good on them, that they thought up to get you to apply there and then, and get it approved.
If you had arrived onto our airport's secure zone, by some chance, without a valid visa, the airline will be fined, and you will be turned back.
So, don't quibble.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 4:55 am

Whats better pay the $145 tax or lose out on a $1000 +ticket?
Old Jun 28, 2017, 10:46 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
For me this is an excellent fall back service. I travel to Aus about 20 times per year on business and use the e-gates. Without a hard copy I forget when my visa expires and I have been caught out once in seven years. But QF processing a visa at check-in is excellent and got me out a hole that would not have been possible were I travelling to the US, for example on a TWOV.
The best bit was as a platinum they didn't charge me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.