Search

First time for First in QF but...

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2017, 3:39 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
The further back in the cabin the more foot traffic. The galley is behind the cabin and crew traffic to & from the galley far exceeds passenger traffic to & from the lavs.

But yes, less traffic for an A seat than the other side (with twice as many seats accessed off the aisle).
Its brilliant when (some) crew are aware of the shaking floor and walk gently, while others who may not be so aware of the shaking floor just stomp through the crew shaking everything. This applies equally to the F and J cabins.
Old May 19, 2017, 12:21 am

Programs: QFF WP/OWE
Originally Posted by number_6
Any single trip can be great or awful, for isolated reasons, on any airline. QF F is way above average overall. It has dropped slightly from when it was best (and ranked in top 3 airlines in the world for F service), but I have flown over 100 flights in QF F and based on that rank it highly. Maybe saying its awful is a better strategy, keep those AS awards redeeming on AA and leave the QF F seats for QFF use.
As for the MEL F lounge, it is way better than the LAX F lounge but the steak sandwich is hardly the high point
I'm glad to hear that! I've got my first QF F (QF1) flight coming up in Sept and am incredibly excited, but slightly nervous given the few negative comments people seem to have about it.
Old May 19, 2017, 8:11 am

Programs: QF Gold, VA Red, SQ, HH Silver, Marriott Gold.
I think if you got your flight for the equivalent of $2000 you should not focus on all the negative posts you have read. Approach the flight positively and you should enjoy it.

Some people comment on drawn out meal services on Qantas. But it is not always so.
Make sure you have some beverages and enjoy the food. Most people enjoy Qantas food especially in First. In any case you can eat in the FLounge before the flight if you are concerned.

If during the flight you want another beverage after meal service you can push the call button, or do as I do. I stretch my legs and pass by the galley and ask for the drink of my choice.
As for Qantas First staff being unpolished. Do you honestly think staff in Qantas First would be unpolished - highly unlikely. Be friendly and polite to them and they will respond in the same way.

As for small screens, take an iPad if you are worried. I have not found Qantas lavatories on the A380 to be small or dirty. Take some disinfectant wipes if this is a concern.

Just relax and have a great flight.
Old May 19, 2017, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by number_6
.....Maybe saying its awful is a better strategy, keep those AS awards redeeming on AA and leave the QF F seats for QFF use.
....IIRC it takes 110,000 Alaskan points to redeem onto AA, rather than 70,000 on QF for one way trans Pacific in first.....

...the Alaskan deal is excellent, especially since you don't pay the fuel (ooops I mean "carrier") surcharges, which QF would levy on its own frequent flyers...so maybe do it now before the AS-QF inter-airline agreement is revised and you're stung for $600 of extras.

...at that price point you really can't lose! Enjoy!
Old May 19, 2017, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
I've not flown F on Qantas, but I've flown C countless times and even the occasional Y - I've never experienced a filthy lav on either short or long haul.
Me either. Saw a suspicious brown lump on the floor in a Qatar plane. The FA raced towards me and suggested another loo might be more to my liking.
Old May 25, 2017, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by rick253
As for Qantas First staff being unpolished. Do you honestly think staff in Qantas First would be unpolished - highly unlikely. Be friendly and polite to them and they will respond in the same way.
Unfortunately it is true. Seen it first hand on several occasions. Nothing to do with the passenger being polite (they were) - just the crew shouldn't have been there.

On a good day Qantas crew can be the best in the world. On a bad day you can wish you were somewhere else. The problem with QF crew is the inconsistency, which is to a far higher degree than you'll get on just about any airline (except for some US carriers). For 2 grand QF F is a bargain. For 15 grand I'd be exploring other options.
Old May 29, 2017, 7:51 am

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Originally Posted by loopflyer
my heart sank regarding the slow/inattentive/unpolished cabin crew, mediocre food (save the booze), smallish IFE screen, small lavatories, but the sleep comfort was always rated good. [...] Anyone have recent A380 LAX bound experience which might give a different impression of what to expect aboard.
Yes, my own impressions do differ somewhat.

Cabin crew: Can be inconsistent, with service ranging from perfunctory to exceptional. I have never found the cabin crew to be inattentive though.

Food: Very good (but admittedly not special).

IFE screen size: Quite large if you ask me. I'm surprised that others find it "smallish".

Lavatory size: Perfectly adequate unless you are trying to tango.

Sleep comfort: The bed is superb.

Overall: QF has an excellent F product. While it is not the best in the world, it is certainly the best F product available on the nonstop ANZ-USA market, and it is the only one with that unique Australian charm...
Old May 29, 2017, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was gonna say it's the only F product - but then there's AA. I guess it depends what you're looking for. I've had some excellent flights on US based carriers.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 12:20 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
...will it be worth it? Flying MEL-LAX QF93 A380 First using Alaska Airline miles. Pretty darn reasonable vs. paying the full asking price of $8,500. My cost will be well under $2,000. That said I've surfed reviews of QF and my heart sank regarding the slow/inattentive/unpolished cabin crew, mediocre food (save the booze), smallish IFE screen, small lavatories, but the sleep comfort was always rated good. A lousy cabin crew can sink the entire atmosphere. The MEL F lounge gets good reviews;I've been to the LAX QF First when I flew CX F (which was superb as was my ANA and JAL F experience). Anyone have recent A380 LAX bound experience which might give a different impression of what to expect aboard. Thanks in advance.
Despite what you think/feel/read/heard - would love to hear your feedback though after your flight and see how it compared to your expectation.

We recently did a LHR-SYD F round trip, it was very professional and comfortable, but not over the top like those ME3 carriers in terms of hardware, and not as attentive in service as those top tier Asian carriers (CX,JL,SQ). That said, I would happily fly QF F any day
Old Jun 1, 2017, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alanslegal
Despite what you think/feel/read/heard - would love to hear your feedback though after your flight and see how it compared to your expectation.

We recently did a LHR-SYD F round trip, it was very professional and comfortable, but not over the top like those ME3 carriers in terms of hardware, and not as attentive in service as those top tier Asian carriers (CX,JL,SQ). That said, I would happily fly QF F any day
Yes, I'll post my experience on this thread. Not until mid-July. Glad to hear you had a pleasant flight on QF F.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 8:05 pm

Just flew QF F DFW-SYD and SYD-LAX. I had 2A and 3A on A380s. I would say my experience did not compare favorably with SQ or CX F.
That said, the bed was very comfortable, the champagne (La Grande Dame in both directions) flowed freely, and the entertainment choices were very good.
I had two superb FAs, Sunita on the DFW leg and Jackie on the return.
The F lav was small IMHO, but kept clean and did have a window.
On my return flight it appeared a clever pax from economy had managed to have a nap in the second floor lounge area. Said lounge area had a disappointing help-yourself selection, though did have the Bundaberg ginger beer much favoured by boxo on FT.
The food was only so-so; I didn't care for either main course though the entrees/apps/starters were good. The breakfast in the SYD F lounge was much better, but they forgot my order and I had to re-request it prior to needing to depart so hardly got to enjoy it. I was gifted some chocolate because of this by the lounge, unprompted. It was a nice gesture but I'd rather have finished off those famous corn fritters.
This was all on AA miles. AA subsequently unhelpfully changed my return domestic flights and QF claimed there was nothing they could do. So I was in the back of the bus on my LAX-PHX leg. Pondering if complaining is worth anything at this point since my complaint ledger with AA must surely be full by now.
To sum up: if using miles, QF F will be fine, and the A side was particularly good for sleeping. If paying the big bucks, I might consider other carriers.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 8:30 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
I would have thought if using AA points on an AA leg - your first call should have been to AA
Old Jun 3, 2017, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

[QUOTE=ErthCrclr;28395671]Just flew QF F DFW-SYD and SYD-LAX. I had 2A and 3A on A380s. I would say my experience did not compare favorably with SQ or CX F.
That said, the bed was very comfortable, the champagne (La Grande Dame in both directions) flowed freely, and the entertainment choices were very good.
I had two superb FAs, Sunita on the DFW leg and Jackie on the return.
The F lav was small IMHO, but kept clean and did have a window.
On my return flight it appeared a clever pax from economy had managed to have a nap in the second floor lounge area. Said lounge area had a disappointing help-yourself selection, though did have the Bundaberg ginger beer much favoured by boxo on FT.
The food was only so-so; I didn't care for either main course though the entrees/apps/starters were good. The breakfast in the SYD F lounge was much better, but they forgot my order and I had to re-request it prior to needing to depart so hardly got to enjoy it. I was gifted some chocolate because of this by the lounge, unprompted. It was a nice gesture but I'd rather have finished off those famous corn fritters.
This was all on AA miles. AA subsequently unhelpfully changed my return domestic flights and QF claimed there was nothing they could do. So I was in the back of the bus on my LAX-PHX leg. Pondering if complaining is worth anything at this point since my complaint ledger with AA must surely be full by now.
To sum up: if using miles, QF F will be fine, and the A side was particularly good for sleeping. If paying the big bucks, I might consider other carriers.[/QUOTE

Thank you for your report. I enjoyed b'fast at LAX F lounge last year - flew F on CX and enjoyed it very, very much as only two of us in F cabin! Will again have the chance for b'fast at MEL F lounge, along with a spa treatment! I'm not expecting for QF F food to be that great, but still look forward to flying them at last on the MEL-LAX A380 route. Did you have the signature steak sandwhich? I picked seat 2A after researching, seems it should provide for minimal aisle traffic and I'll hopefully get some sleep. It is disappointing indeed about the semi-lounge upstairs. Did they evict the Y squatter?
Old Jun 3, 2017, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did you have the signature steak sandwhich? I picked seat 2A after researching, seems it should provide for minimal aisle traffic and I'll hopefully get some sleep. It is disappointing indeed about the semi-lounge upstairs. Did they evict the Y squatter?
2A or 3A is good. The steak sandwich is a piece of reheated steak in some bread. Nothing to get too excited about. The lounge upstairs equally not a place you'd really want to hang out in as an F passenger. Your seat will be far better.

For $2000 you're getting an absolute bargain and if you have a good crew it will be one of the best flights you've ever had. I wouldn't be worrying that you've wasted your money.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 12:16 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
... b'fast at MEL F lounge, along with a spa treatment! I'm not expecting for QF F food to be that great, but still look forward to flying them at last on the MEL-LAX A380 route. Did you have the signature steak sandwhich? .... It is disappointing indeed about the semi-lounge upstairs. Did they evict the Y squatter?
The food in the MEL F lounge is markedly better than in the LAX or SYD F lounges. Catering for F on MEL-LAX is also superior to the SYD-LAX F catering (same menu but better executed maybe due to smaller catering kitchen). The steak sandwich has deteriorated over the years, used to be fantastic due to having a great cut of meat, now it is not exceptional. The "F/J lounge" on QF A380 is actually their medical treatment area (the couch is the hospital bed), so a clever use of space but not equipped as a lounge ... the Y pax might have been CL (vvip on QF) flying Y who are encouraged to use the lounge and partake of the F menu when flying Y and their opup doesn't come through. Interesting comment about CX F, personally I used to go out of my way to fly CX but no longer as it has deteriorated and CX F service is a shadow of what it used to be (much bigger drop than QF has had). By contrast EK has had a dramatic improvement in their food & wine service as of last November, presumably to compete with EY/QR F. Their cheap scotch is now JW Blue and liquor goes up from there (e.g. Paradis which is circa USD 800 per bottle). But who has a better F than QF for Oz-USA? Choices are a bit limited and QF seems to be head and shoulders ahead even with their aging fleet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.