Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Y saver fares available, but Y flex sold out?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2017, 11:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK E+, LH Sen, Accor Plat, Base level: AF, AS, DL, Hilton, IHG

Esteemed QF forum members,

I'm flying back to Europe from NZ on the 25th Feb, on QF via Melbourne. I've a few hours layover in MEL and in Melbourne lives a friend I haven't seen in 15 years. I was toying with the idea of seeing if, by him buying a flexible fare ticket (later to be refunded), we could met up airside for a couple of hours, rather than me getting a visa and somehow paying the PMC which isn't incorporated in my ticket.

Anyway, looking at QF international departures around the time of my QF9 flight, there are flights to both AKL and CHC. I was curious how much a flex ticket would be, but on the 25th and some dates around that, looking at Qantas.com.au, for the direct flights MEL to NZ, although Saver fares are offered (and even eco classic award seats), the booking engine says there are no flex seats available. This seems really strange, as surely a seat is seat and the flex fare bucket would be the last available? Or do Qantas do it differently?

On the dates where there are no flex seats on the direct flights, the booking engine does show business saver seats (even though I am searching economy). When it is a date where there are flex eco fares showing availability, the business saver option is not displayed. Which makes me wonder if it is possibly a website glitch?

Just curious really, the liklihood of putting my scheme into action is very low...

Cheers,

Shuttle
Old Feb 13, 2017, 7:00 am

Programs: QF Gold, WY Gold
*I think i'm going to grab some popcorn and enjoy how this thread develops.* :-)
Old Feb 13, 2017, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Shuttle
I'm flying back to Europe from NZ on the 25th Feb, on QF via Melbourne. I've a few hours layover in MEL and in Melbourne lives a friend I haven't seen in 15 years. I was toying with the idea of seeing if, by him buying a flexible fare ticket (later to be refunded), we could met up airside for a couple of hours, rather than me getting a visa and somehow paying the PMC which isn't incorporated in my ticket.

<snip>

Just curious really, the likelihood of putting my scheme into action is very low...
Just get an Au visa.
Your friend buying an international ticket*, going through Australian departure controls, having a drink what ever and then your friend trying to exit by going out the "Australian departing" controls will be hard. A lot of questions will be asked. In Au departing and arriving passengers are separated. There is a transit door for those doing a transit, like your self.

A very s*** idea. Just get an Au visa

Many people transiting Australia go landside for a few hours. No need to tell the airline. Technically the airline should charge you more Australian government fees/taxes.

If Au immigration ask what you are doing for a few hours tell the truth.

* At one time in the past some JQ domestic flights left from the international terminal. But I think none of these now. (Saturday SYD MEL Flounge run RIP)
Old Feb 13, 2017, 11:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK E+, LH Sen, Accor Plat, Base level: AF, AS, DL, Hilton, IHG
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Just get an Au visa.
Your friend buying an international ticket*, going through Australian departure controls, having a drink what ever and then your friend trying to exit by going out the "Australian departing" controls will be hard. A lot of questions will be asked. In Au departing and arriving passengers are separated. There is a transit door for those doing a transit, like your self.

A very s*** idea. Just get an Au visa

Many people transiting Australia go landside for a few hours. No need to tell the airline. Technically the airline should charge you more Australian government fees/taxes.

If Au immigration ask what you are doing for a few hours tell the truth.

* At one time in the past some JQ domestic flights left from the international terminal. But I think none of these now. (Saturday SYD MEL Flounge run RIP)
Mwenenzi Thank you for the very good points about Immigration. As I said, it was more an idle thought of fancy than a cunning plan I was hatching. I would have been nervous enough about not getting even a refundable ticket fully refunded, given the less-than-honest-reason for purchasing - I hadn't even thought about the 'in and out' immigration part.

Still, as genuinely grateful as I am for the advice, including the reassurance on the transit ticket/PMC charge, my question in the post was actually wondering why the Qantas website wasn't selling flexible tickets on some flights when saver fares were still offered. Not that I desperately need an answer, I wasn't just curious whether there was a reason or if it is just a glitch?
Old Feb 14, 2017, 3:41 am

Assuming you're a European Passport holder than getting an E-Visa is free and should be easy.

Australia is not like America and once airside in the international terminal it is basically impossible to get back landside. It can be done but an excuse like I bought a refundable ticket to see a friend won't cut it.

You won't get charged the PMC as the airline had no way of telling that you've left the airport and don't worry no one has ever been chased for the fee.

As for the Qantas ticket thing thats a little strange but I guess thats Qantas and the Qantas website for you. You can do a search on the same route/date different times and sometimes get different results... go figure.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 3:57 am

Programs: Qantas, Virgin
Originally Posted by henrus
It can be done but an excuse like I bought a refundable ticket to see a friend won't cut it.
Why not?

I fully expect whichever official you have to talk to will have a whinge about their time being wasted. What are they going to do, though? Refuse to let an Australian citizen out of the airport? Demand that you re-purchase the ticket and travel overseas?
Old Feb 14, 2017, 4:19 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by ButFli
Why not?

I fully expect whichever official you have to talk to will have a whinge about their time being wasted. What are they going to do, though? ...
They can flag you for special processing which could mean spending several hours going through immigration and customs in future trips. Unlikely but if you fit the profile it can and does happen. Buying refundable tickets to access airside is used by some people for more nefarious purposes than having a drink in the lounge, and you don't want to fall into that category in any country.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 4:25 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by Shuttle
...Anyway, looking at QF international departures around the time of my QF9 flight, there are flights to both AKL and CHC. I was curious how much a flex ticket would be, but on the 25th and some dates around that, looking at Qantas.com.au, for the direct flights MEL to NZ, although Saver fares are offered (and even eco classic award seats), the booking engine says there are no flex seats available. This seems really strange, as surely a seat is seat and the flex fare bucket would be the last available? Or do Qantas do it differently? ...
Qantas.com shows J fares when the Y fare is higher than the J fare, and you ran into that situation on your search (not unusual to NZ but rare on longer routes). You need to use another web site or phone to get the flex Y fares. Those are always available whenever there is discounted Y inventory Note however that most "flexible Y" fares are no longer fully refundable on the airlines that I fly, they often have $200-$400 fee if refunded less than 24 hours prior to flight, fee waived if ticket applied to another purchase. I guess the airlines have noticed patterns in ticket refunds Some even have 100% no-show fee if you check-in for a flight and then don't fly.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 4:26 am

Programs: QF Plat & LTG, VA Plat
Crazy idea, and even if they do fully refund you will be waiting several weeks for the funds. Just go landside and get a beer together. Immigration/customs out & security/immigration back in will likely be reasonably quick, so if that's your concern then don't worry.

Or just change your AKL-MEL to get in earlier and spend some more time with him in the city.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs up

Thank you for all the information and advice everyone - including why there was no flex-Y fare showing on the Qantas website.

Unfortunately I can't change my current flight times, however, I have already applied for the e-visa and hopefully it will come through before my departure, so I can go landside for a couple of hours. If not, it looks like I will be back in this part of the world later in the year and hopefully next time with enough notice to try and arrange a proper visit to Australia during my travels (my current trip was last-minute and I was given no input into my flight routing).

Cheers

Stephen

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.