Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Haneda - Sydney 747

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2017, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas PlatinumOne (OneWorld Emerald)
Haneda - Sydney 747

Hi all,

I'm flying J from Tokyo back to MEL overnight on Feb 24th, but I've been booked onto the HND-SYD flight with a connection to MEL in the morning.

This HND-SYD overnight is a 747; am I right that it will be one of the old 747s which:

a) Has the "old 1st" seats in the nose for J customers; but also

b) Otherwise has the very old QF J product?

I was pleased with the routing because it leaves later than NRT-MEL (which is convenient for me), and it avoids me going out to NRT from central Tokyo, but would I be better to switch to the direct flight in terms of the hard product?

(I'm only Qantas Gold, so I'm not anticipating being able to get the best seats in the nose or upstairs...)

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old Feb 7, 2017, 8:55 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Checking E/F it is indeed an unrerfurbed 747 with old school F glamour and Skybed MKI.

Zone A is currently occupied but there are seats on the upper deck, but this will vary by status.

Last edited by m0hamed; Feb 8, 2017 at 2:16 am
Old Feb 8, 2017, 12:23 am
Original Poster

Thanks M0hamed.

I know this is always a difficult subjective question, but how bad is it (Skybed MkII)?

If it helps, I'm familiar with QF's newer J, with the newer and older SQ long-haul J, the last couple of BA J generations, and also AF to a lesser extent... But I'm relatively new to Australia, so I don't have any kind of history with older QF product.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 12:44 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
It is universally hated. The incline is slight but still very annoying.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 12:54 am
Original Poster

Thanks again! Sounds like I should switch to the direct flight to MEL, despite the earlier departure and having to trek out to NRT!
Old Feb 8, 2017, 1:13 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by chrisjpl
I know this is always a difficult subjective question, but how bad is it (Skybed MkII)?
The MK2 version is better than MK1. Its flatter and has much better seat pitch. But the foot part droops (it was straight flat when first installed). The easy solution is to put your cabin bag or a pair of shoes under the foot rest section and this lifts it to a level that is quite comfortable and good for sleeping. When horizontal, you can get your head right into the back of the seat shell cocoon and it affords some degree of isolation that you just don't get with other types of seats.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by chrisjpl
Thanks again! Sounds like I should switch to the direct flight to MEL, despite the earlier departure and having to trek out to NRT!
I would agree.

A couple times (many years apart) I've thought 'they can't be that bad can they?' and gone ahead and booked. But yes, they are that bad.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 3:36 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

There is no question. New business suite >>> Skybed
Old Feb 12, 2017, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

4A opened up - so I've grabbed myself one of the old First seats.

I've no idea if that's actually better than just flying direct to Melbourne in the new business suite, but it lets me stay on the late Haneda flight without feeling like I'm taking a terrible option!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.