Wiki Posts
Search

Help with a mileage run out of HNL

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2017, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF, HA
Help with a mileage run out of HNL

HI ..hoping I have posted in right forum...I am a Qantas FF looking for a mileage run out of HNL in June..had thought of going to Vancouver for a break in the middle of our 3 weeks stay in Hawaii but I am not sure there are any creative runs ex HNL..if not would look at other options around the $1K mark..I need 450 SC's not sure how that equates to miles though TIA
PS have only done one run before that that was to SJU a few years ago
Old Jan 16, 2017, 12:29 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Specific routes vary seasonally and most will be over USD 1k, closer to AUD 2k, but look at Carribean and central america (eg. panama or costa rica). routing HNL-LAX-MIA-AUA for example, about 30 destinations to choose from with similar fares.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 3:17 pm

HNL-LAX-YVR only nets 420 status credits round trip: assuming the HNL-LAX legs records as first and the YVR-LAX legs as business class.

Therefore you'd need an extra sector as part of that itinerary:

HNL-LAX-PHX-YVR-LAX-HNL which delivers exactly 450 status credits (assuming the sectors in./out YVR are business and the other sectors are in first).

The cost, however, is pushing AUD2500 plus the opportunity cost of taxi to / from the airport and accommodation in YVR. You would earn around 20,000 points if already Gold or Platinum with QF.

Return Central America seems to be cheaper at about AUD2,000 (Panama for example):

HNL-(first)-DFW-(first)-MIA-(business)-PTY return nets 720 status credits and has the benefits of the sleeper seat on the HNL-DFW sectors.

Options may include deciding on a place you actually want to visit and simply plug those destinations into the aa.com online booking engine to see if any deals crop up (Aruba, Curacao, Barbados, Panama, Nassau, Bermuda, etc) bearing in mind that some destinations may be "rougher" than others (Costa Rica, Port of Spain, etc). Prices can be quite variable on a day to day basis.

I'd be surprised if you had any change from AUD2000 on the flights...and it pays to check the cabin class carefully....
Old Jan 16, 2017, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Platy
HNL-LAX-YVR only nets 420 status credits round trip: assuming the HNL-LAX legs records as first and the YVR-LAX legs as business class.
Is that on AA under the QF earning table? Or HA or xx? AA have recently reclassified most USA domestic first to D class.
There is a thread on this in the BA forum http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...confirmed.html
And 75% sure there is a thread in the QF forum on this topic
Old Jan 16, 2017, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF, HA
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Is that on AA under the QF earning table? Or HA or xx? AA have recently reclassified most USA domestic first to D class.
There is a thread on this in the BA forum http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...confirmed.html
Thanks All...I am mindful of the recent AA changes to classes and when doing some dummy runs in First Class they come up as Business in D & I classes so a reduced earn rate. I will keep looking for thanks all for your advice
Old Jan 16, 2017, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Yep - you're right! The cost-benefit of YVR idea is even less attractive (assuming no 3-class service on AA between LAX and HNL)!

According to QF calculator for AA flights: HNL-DFW-MIA-PTY return would still earn 480 if credited entirely as business class fare codes.

The cost-benefit of these status runs has certainly taken a hit recently:

- Reclassification of "first" as business for status earn
- Removal of stopovers for the same price as a through fare
- Decline in the AUD against the USD (for Australians)

It's become cheaper to redeem into "first", though!
Old Jan 17, 2017, 3:17 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Nifti
HI ..hoping I have posted in right forum...
[mod hat] You are when it comes to QFF specific information. The Mileage Run Deals Forum is the place where people post great airfare deals for all airlines from all location so it is also worth having a look at. [/mod hat]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.