Wiki Posts
Search

SFO lounge access

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2017, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
SFO lounge access

Happy New Year! My wife and I are flying to Australia at the end of March. I am AA Platinum and OneWorld Sapphire. We have booked award tickets flying in 1st class from CLT to SFO on AA and business class from SFO to SYD on Qantas. We have a 3+ hour layover. I am a little confused about lounge access at SFO. Will we have to use the KLM/Air France lounge or will we have options?

Last edited by crutch222; Jan 1, 2017 at 1:53 pm
Old Jan 1, 2017, 2:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access has details of all the OW lounges at SFO

You can use any OW lounge that is open and accessible , plus whatever lounge QF offers to 1st class passengers ( if that is different )
Old Jan 1, 2017, 2:26 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
None of the SFO lounges are great so it doesn't matter which lounge you get to use; the JL and CX lounges are often at capacity so refuse admission for QF pax and the BA lounge is unlikely to be open depending on your time of year for flight time. You could visit the AC before going over to the international terminal.
LAX has a much better QF lounge, fwiw.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Thanks for the responses!
Old Jan 1, 2017, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access has details of all the OW lounges at SFO

You can use any OW lounge that is open and accessible , plus whatever lounge QF offers to 1st class passengers ( if that is different )
Not sure how the OP gets access to any First class lounges. They are flying business class and OWS. This would restrict access to business class lounges.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 2:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Not sure how the OP gets access to any First class lounges. They are flying business class and OWS. This would restrict access to business class lounges.
For some reason I misread that the passenger was travelling in 1st class; indeed , it is whatever business class lounge that QF offers on top of the OW ones listed for SFO
Old Jan 1, 2017, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Note there are quite a few reports on AustralianFrequentFlyer that the CX lounge agents generally try to deny access to Qantas passengers with lounge access rights.

Last edited by serfty; Jan 3, 2017 at 12:07 am
Old Jan 2, 2017, 11:56 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
technically QF pax are supposed to use the AF lounge, but i've gotten lucky and used the CX lounge with my OWE status.

of the lounges available to use, the CX lounge is the biggest and best imo.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 12:29 am

As others have said, the lounge situation at SFO is rather dire... I'm sorry that you have to spend three hours in any of the lounges, IMHO this airport is crying out for a single Oneworld lounge like LAX.

Anyway, that said: if you're arriving into SFO three hours prior to QF74 then you should have a shot at getting into the CX lounge, which is easily the best of the bunch. CX has tight limits on how many QF passengers it will allow it, due to concerns of over-crowding in the lead-up to its SFO-HKG flights, but this should be your first port of call.

If CX denies you access, well, not much to be done but head for the Air France/KLM lounge which Qantas uses, or just browse the terminal and see if there's not some public cafe or such that appeals more.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 1:21 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by djsflynn
As others have said, the lounge situation at SFO is rather dire... I'm sorry that you have to spend three hours in any of the lounges, IMHO this airport is crying out for a single Oneworld lounge like LAX.
It used to be much worse, so this is probably as good as it will ever get. BA built a new lounge a decade ago (but skimped on it), and CX used to be in a closet outside of security (holding maybe 30 pax for their lounge). Sadly QF quit serving SFO about the time of the BA lounge rebuild (maybe pulling their money from that project) and CX was rejected by BA from sharing their lounge (not very logical as the flight timings were separate making it ideal for sharing). So I have no hope of Oneworld ever doing anything better at SFO, this is as good as it will ever get. I suppose compared to YVR it is pretty good, and roughly on par with JFK.

Note that SFO has excellent non-lounge facilities, with some quite good restaurants and bars, much nicer than the lounges (and better than LAX has, fwiw).
Old Apr 14, 2017, 8:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
I will be traveling in business on QF 74 to SYD and have a long layover. I don't have OW status. Which lounge can I access that has a shower? I've been reading the CX lounge is not open to QF passengers and the BA lounge is closed way before departure. Are my only options going to the AA lounge or the Centurion Lounge? Which one is preferable?
Old Apr 14, 2017, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tomcat007
I will be traveling in business on QF 74 to SYD and have a long layover. I don't have OW status. Which lounge can I access that has a shower?
As you do not have OW status lounge access will be based on class of travel on QF74 SFO SYD
http://www.qantas.com/travel/airline...isco/global/en
Lounges tab.
Lounge Information
Air France Lounge located post security International A.
Flights tab
Qantas Flights
Qantas flights QF1 to QF399 operate from the International Terminal A.
Qantas codeshare flights operated by Alaska Airlines/Horizon Air (AS) operate from the International Terminal A
Qantas codeshare flights operated by American Airlines operate from Terminal 2
oneworld. carriers British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Japan Airlines operate from the International Terminal A
Interline flights with WestJet (WS) operate from the International Terminal A
Interline Flights with Virgin America ( VX) operate from Terminal 2
Old Apr 15, 2017, 3:42 am

Originally Posted by number_6
​​​Note that SFO has excellent non-lounge facilities, with some quite good restaurants and bars, much nicer than the lounges (and better than LAX has, fwiw).
Really?
Old Apr 15, 2017, 2:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
As you do not have OW status lounge access will be based on class of travel on QF74 SFO SYD
http://www.qantas.com/travel/airline...isco/global/en
Lounges tab.

Flights tab
Yes. But the AF -KLM lounge doesn't have a shower...
Old Apr 15, 2017, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tomcat007
Yes. But the AF -KLM lounge doesn't have a shower...
Then you may have to pay cash for access to another lounge.
QF will only give you access to a lounge based on class of travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.