Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Gold FF - DXB Transit - Security Priority?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2016, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas Gold FF

Can anyone confirm weather I as a QF Gold FF travelling in Y should be entitled to use the fast track security at DXB when flying QF between LHR and Au?

I've been allowed access a few times but last time the friendly Emirates employee "guarding" the priority line just screamed ECONOMY in my face until I went to the other line.

I asked QF on Twitter but they just sent me a generic link that didn't mention DXB.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 2:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I do not believe that having QF Gold status entitles to use of the priority security lanes at DXB. priority security is not generally a benefit in OneWorld
Old Dec 6, 2016, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

I get a security fast track invite when departing Heathrow so it can be done...
Old Dec 6, 2016, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Are you sure about such a queue. I have asked some who do this trip regularly and and it seems there is generally NO "fast track" queue for transit security at DXB in concourse A.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by QueEff
That does not indicate an entitlement to use Priority Security lanes in general

If you were in economy class and had nothing entitling to use the queue, it sounds like the agent was correctly doing his job. I also doubt that the security guard screamed and it does read like that he repeatedly would have had to say no
Old Dec 6, 2016, 6:46 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Likewise if you depart from DXB and are eligible to use the QF Business or First checkin lounge, then you also get to use the lounge's dedicated security facility (which is fast). But that means you have to first go airside to landside (immigration) - which probably isn't what is wanted for a transit stop.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok, reports I have from those who have done this is that there may or may not be premium transit available (there are indications the lane is there but might not be operating).

Also that DXB transit security tends to be efficient in any case.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 10:13 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
On EK as an EK Gold (ah, those were the days...), the purser or senior FA would come to my seat at the beginning of the flight with some fairly useless greeting and give me a card for Fast Track at DXB security. I've got a stack of the things in my travel bag.

Unless QF do the same for their Gold, there's no obvious way for the security people to recognize who is eligible for Fast Track and who's not. (Yeah, they could squint at all those codes on your BP but they won't.)

Even so, (a) as Serfty said, DXB security is not too bad anyway, and (b) even with my magic Fast Track card I never see a dedicated "Fast Track" lane.

Once I got off the SYD-DXB with a backache (not helped by the 30 minute standing-room-only bus tour to the terminal) and there was a larger than usual scrum at security. I approached one of the security agents who was deeply occupied with a game on his phone, produced my Fast Track card and said "is this good for anything here?" He put his phone away, sighed deeply, rolled his eyes and pushed through the scrum to get me a spot at the front of the (regular) line.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's some information from a friend over on AFF:
QF almost always uses a jetbridge gate at concourse A. A380s generally get priority but not always for a jetbridge gate.

When exiting into the arrivals corridors, generally everyone transiting will go for the first transit security point. Often there will be a second transit security point if you continue following the regular arrivals sign (maybe another 20-30 metres from the first security point). This would usually be faster than using the priority line at the first security point.

Otherwise, if using the first security point that you see, the layout is there's 2 straight lines in the centre for F/J/priority pax and then 2 snakes on either side for regular Y pax, so make use of the priority line down the centre.

Old Dec 7, 2016, 1:16 am
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by serfty
Are you sure about such a queue. I have asked some who do this trip regularly and and it seems there is generally NO "fast track" queue for transit security at DXB in concourse A.
There is a priority Q as I used it when transitting Dxb on QF 2 around 7ish am in October. IIRC, it was only for F and J pax but i won't put my house on it; FYI, in the EK F lounge, there were 9 pax in front of me for the first shower stalls I approached, the other one had 6....I got a very rushed shower about 45 minutes later as my flight was boarding imminently

Last edited by kpc; Dec 7, 2016 at 1:34 am
Old Dec 7, 2016, 1:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kpc
There is a proty Q as I used it when transitting Dxb on QF 2 around 7ish am in October. IIRC, it was only for F and J pax but i won't put my house on it; FYI, in the EK F lounge, there were 9 pax in front of me for the first shower stalls I approached, the other one had 6....i got a very rushed shower about 45 minutes later as my flight was boarding imminently
Exactly! There IS a priority queue and I have used it, but was denied last time. The only reason I want it is because by the time you get the the showers there is a 30 min wait!
Old Dec 7, 2016, 1:27 am

Exactly! There IS a priority queue and I have used it, but was denied last time. The only reason I want it is because by the time you get the the showers there is a 30 min wait!
Were you travelling in a class of service which affords access to the premium security?

Everyone wants to avoid regular queues, however that does not give an entitlement to do so
Old Dec 7, 2016, 1:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I also doubt that the security guard screamed and it does read like that he repeatedly would have had to say no

Sorry, perhaps "screamed" was excessive. She definitely shouted very close to my face while I tried to politely point out that I am QF Gold and usually allowed to use this lane. She continued to shout until I complied. Unpleasant at the best of times, distressing after 16+ hours traveling.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 1:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Were you travelling in a class of service which affords access to the premium security?

Everyone wants to avoid regular queues, however that does not give an entitlement to do so
Nope, always economy. Perhaps the people who let me in to the premium queue previously were mistaken in doing so.

I'm not trying to find entitlement where there isn't any, just trying to clarify actual entitlement as I've had mixed experience and would like to know where I stand officially.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 6:41 am

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Hi QueEff,

The last time I travelled QF9, security was deserted (the security staff had to scramble to get the machine open) and there was no Priority Lane - unless they opened it afterwards.

Just came through Concourse B on EK as QF SG in Y and was provided a Priority Card but the queues were so short that the Priority Lane was virtually as quick as the others - and it wasn't being policed either (so I have the card for next time!).

TBH: I think your biggest issue could be where you're seated in Y. If you're upstairs you could be out-of-the-bus and at the front of the non-Priority Lane before most of those Y passengers coming off the lower deck.

Regards,

BD

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.