Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HNL to J class suite?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2016, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

HNL to J class suite?

Any idea when the HNL route will go to lie flat? Right now its only when the A330-300 is sub'd onto the flight. Appreciate any info.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by ordflyboy
Any idea when the HNL route will go to lie flat? Right now its only when the A330-300 is sub'd onto the flight. Appreciate any info.
I don't think there is a definite answer. The last two A330-200s have been delayed for their refit and there's a good chance these will be on the HNL routes. It's a case of wait and see at the moment.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 11:54 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
All the aircraft have been completed apart from VH-EBG/EBL, which are the remaining two aircraft with SkyBedI in Business and Rockwell Collins IFE (the other two former international aircraft in this config went back to their lessor then to the RAAF).

While EBL has been through BNE maint in the past month and EBG is there now it appears to be for minor maintenance only.

As LHR/MEL/Europe FF says, there isn't a definite answer. The following statements / rumours have been posted on various forums:
- A QF engineer posted on Instagram that all refurbs had been completed
- A QF internal memo from Aug simply says that those two are to be refurbed "in the future"
- Recent QF customer care responses have said all refurbs to be complete by end December 2016
- A post on YSSY suggesting that the aircraft will go back to lessors and also go to RAAF

So until the aircraft actually come out of refurb, or QF makes another statement, its a bit unknown unfortunately.

It should also be noted that QF has kept on two 747s in an unrefurbed configuration - VH-OEB and VH-OJM - these have Old First/SkyBedI for Business, PE, and Rockwell Collins IFE throughout - so it is not unheard of for them to not reconfig all aircraft in a fleet type. It is expected that these two 747s will be the first two to leave when QF gets its 789s from late 2017.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 2:59 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
Surely it can't be that complicated. You'd expect QF would have clear forward plans for its A330 fleet, namely these last 2 non refurbed ones?
Old Sep 22, 2016, 3:34 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Cedar Jet
Surely it can't be that complicated. You'd expect QF would have clear forward plans for its A330 fleet, namely these last 2 non refurbed ones?
It's reasonable to assume that the news will be bad rather than good for a refurb of these last 2 frames. If otherwise, someone would have reached out 2 years ago and told us! In any case, why bother when they are the best of the limited offer on the HNL route? It'll only change when HA changes and someone in Mascot realises it.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by og
In any case, why bother when they are the best of the limited offer on the HNL route?
Yes, perhaps, for direct flights...but...HA are in the process of A330 fleet refurbishment and if you can cope with an AKL transit, NZ have 787s to HNL.

A smart player would seize and lead the market rather than wallow in low cost carrier and cost cutting mindset whilst begrudgingly playing catch up with the competition after the horse has bolted...QF Group already has JQ to mob up the cost sensitive folk...
Old Sep 22, 2016, 7:50 pm

You'd expect QF would have clear forward plans for its A330 fleet?
Yes they do. To use them to extend the promotional opportunity to make two (or is it three by now?) years of promises in emails that "reach out" to expectant customers, without actually completing the advertised updates!

Now who's going to risk buying tickets on those promised QF 787 flights a year in advance backed by all the authority and credibility of an email from Loyalty CEO Lesley Grant?!
Old Sep 23, 2016, 2:01 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
I suspect they do - but doesn't mean they have to tell us.

Could also have had a plan subject to conclusion of a lease extension or similar (and the lessor might be playing hard ball - may fit with the RAAF rumour). No point in refurbing something if you have to hand it back in the short term.

Both aircraft appear to be owned by leasing companies, one Macquarie Bank related, the other Commonwealth Bank
Old Sep 23, 2016, 12:42 pm
azj

Originally Posted by og
It's reasonable to assume that the news will be bad rather than good for a refurb of these last 2 frames. If otherwise, someone would have reached out 2 years ago and told us! In any case, why bother when they are the best of the limited offer on the HNL route? It'll only change when HA changes and someone in Mascot realises it.
HA is in full swing with the lie-flat modifications. As more planes re-enter the fleet with the new cabins, they'll dedicate them to certain routes. Those routes and the rest of the product offering upgrades will be announced in October. I wouldn't be shocked to see SYD, BNE and AKL as some of the first to see the new product.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 3:29 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
The current HA product on A330 is 45 inch seat pitch for their "F" seats, compare that to the awful 60 inch pitch on the sub-standard QF J A332 config. Or the 73 inch pitch needed for lie-flat seats such as on the QF A333. HA would have to lose 1 row of Y for each upgraded "F" row -- and they only have 18 premium seats now, which would drop to 12 at the cost of 30 Y seats. No wonder they chose this old config for their new A330s. I have been severely disappointed with HA in the past, so don't have my hopes up for them offering any serious premium product this year or next.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by number_6
The current HA product on A330 is 45 inch seat pitch for their "F" seats, compare that to the awful 60 inch pitch on the sub-standard QF J A332 config. Or the 73 inch pitch needed for lie-flat seats such as on the QF A333. HA would have to lose 1 row of Y for each upgraded "F" row -- and they only have 18 premium seats now, which would drop to 12 at the cost of 30 Y seats. No wonder they chose this old config for their new A330s. I have been severely disappointed with HA in the past, so don't have my hopes up for them offering any serious premium product this year or next.
Old configuration is 294 seats (18F, 40 premium eco, 236Y), new configuration is 278 seats (18F, 68 premium eco, 192Y). Big increase in the number of premium seats.

The forward cabin with the new configuration only loses 1 row of Y to accommodate the changes: http://thepointsguy.com/2016/05/hawa...usiness-class/
Old Sep 23, 2016, 6:04 pm

The current HA product on A330 is 45 inch seat pitch for their "F" seats, compare that to the awful 60 inch pitch on the sub-standard QF J A332 config. Or the 73 inch pitch needed for lie-flat seats such as on the QF A333...I have been severely disappointed with HA in the past, so don't have my hopes up for them offering any serious premium product this year or next.
The cited seat pitch for HA new first is 76 inches, thus greater than the new QF at 73 inches.

The roll out is scheduled to be completed by end 2017 - it would be hard for HA to take longer than QF to achieve this goal!

As noted above, HA might well favour the Australia routes as newly refurbished aircraft become available...
Old Sep 24, 2016, 12:41 am
Original Member

But 6 across on A330 is pretty much unacceptable for today's new J configs; even the despicably poor QF config is 4 across, so 50% more space per pax than HA offers. Maybe QF is not so uncompetititive after all. Also there are 0 premium economy seats, it is "extra comfort" seats which have an extra inch of leg room but no difference in service (same meals etc. as Y). US airlines like this pseudo-Y+ arrangement, cheap way to keep FF happy. Given this product HA has no chance in either the US-Hawaii or international markets (AA is flying lie-flat beds today HNL-DFW for example -- of course they sell out a year ahead).
Old Sep 24, 2016, 12:53 am

Programs: Velocity Gold
But 6 across on A330 is pretty much unacceptable for today's new J configs; even the despicably poor QF config is 4 across, so 50% more space per pax than HA offers. Maybe QF is not so uncompetititive after all. Also there are 0 premium economy seats, it is "extra comfort" seats which have an extra inch of leg room but no difference in service (same meals etc. as Y). US airlines like this pseudo-Y+ arrangement, cheap way to keep FF happy. Given this product HA has no chance in either the US-Hawaii or international markets (AA is flying lie-flat beds today HNL-DFW for example -- of course they sell out a year ahead).
You have to be careful. It isn't as simple as saying 4 across vs 6 across. Because of the staggered layout it isn't quite right saying QF has 50% more space available. There is extra table/storage space, but not necessarily more seat width/length space. As effectively in that sense QF is still 6 across (or would it be 8!?).
Old Sep 24, 2016, 2:25 am
Original Member

Having been flown in staggered 4 across vs. straight 6 across layouts many times, I am quite comfortable in stating that the QF config is likely to have much more space and closer to 50% more than not than the new HA config -- which I have never been in or flown as it isn't offered on any of the routes that I fly. Pretty sure I don't have to be careful as I am right and not mis-representing the quality (or lack thereof) of the HA offering. My opinions are based on my experience actually flying -- something that takes a lot of butt in seat miles, hence why I have lots of FF status way beyond QFF gold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.