Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

QF117 SYD-HKG: Disappointing J experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2016, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador

Flew on the A330 yesterday from SYD-HKG. It's a 9.5hr day flight that departs at noon so lunch is served.

I wish I had taken pictures of what was served on this long flight.

A skimpy lunch that included a sandwich option (really, on long-haul business?) followed by a prelanding snack which literally was a Chinese food box with some noodles (half-filled).

Granted, it's been about 7 years since my last QF experience but has it really deteriorated that much? Suffice to say that the flight was basically empty in J and sold out all day on CX.....
Old Aug 25, 2016, 1:37 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
QF are spending big $$$ on lounges and are trying to get you to eat there rather than in the aircraft. That assumes you have time and desire to wait in a lounge.

The quantity of food on offer is certainly reducing. When I've asked for the fruit AND the cheese after a meal in J, the crew have said "you can have one or the other - not both - BUT I'll come back to you after we have served everyone with anything that's left over".

You can always contact QF and complain - that way they might start to do something about it. QF used to engage with FT but that has long stopped - sadly.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 3:40 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Catering on A330 J flights is generally like that now ... the A380 catering is much better (of course those are flagship routes). Interesting to see how QF treats the new B787s when they come into service next year.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 5:22 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Well the food is non-existent to awful slop at the SYD T1 Business Lounge so I do not know how anyone could think that QF wants its Business Class passengers to eat there first.
I suggest you contact QF with a valid complaint otherwise they will continue to offer such poor food on their flights.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 6:57 pm

Programs: QF Plat / OWE (Lifetime Gold), Aeroplan SE, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, Avis Pres't Circle
Agreed. Definitely complain. QF needs to hear those comments, otherwise nothing will change.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 7:53 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
But wait ... everything is rosey in Mascot ...

Qantas Results 2016 - Qantas International: Record customer advocacy results at the segment were the result of continued investment in product and service with all 10 International A330-300 cabin reconfigurations completed.

Definitely complain, hopefully if enough people do it may stop the cutting and start the competing.

Regards,

BD
Old Aug 25, 2016, 8:55 pm

Posted in error
Old Aug 25, 2016, 9:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Was a sandwich the only option or was it just one of various options that included typical main courses?
Old Aug 25, 2016, 10:27 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Was a sandwich the only option or was it just one of various options that included typical main courses?
The Roast Beef or Chicken Schnitzel sandwich is only one option, however I echo the ops comments.

We recently flew QF23/24 and I think we had Cauliflower soup as the small plate and the sandwich as the large plate. They also offer cheese and Maggie Beer ice cream tubs for dessert.

The second meal service is a joke. The box of noodles was tiny and tasteless. I was a bit shocked that this was the second meal.

Often you land, wait for luggage then hop in a car. It could be hours between your second course and getting to your hotel and finding something to eat.

Judging by BA and others we still have it pretty good but the second meal is a snack not a meal. For a 9.5 hour flight it's not sustaining.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by bostontraveler
A skimpy lunch that included a sandwich option (really, on long-haul business?) followed by a prelanding snack which literally was a Chinese food box with some noodles (half-filled).
This.

Really not good enough imo.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by m0hamed
The second meal service is a joke. The box of noodles was tiny and tasteless. I was a bit shocked that this was the second meal.
I think to call it a "meal" is a massive stretch of the imagination.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 12:24 am

Programs: MUCCI du gingembre cinquant, CAMRA
Originally Posted by bostontraveler
Flew on the A330 yesterday from SYD-HKG. It's a 9.5hr day flight that departs at noon so lunch is served.

I wish I had taken pictures of what was served on this long flight.

I am taking this flight in a few weeks - thanks for the warning, I will have a big breakfast before leaving town.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 1:29 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
We went on QF97 last year in J, A330:

- lunch was a small plates, main plates (braised land, travella, chicken schnitzel, spiced califlower or salad) and dessert

- "Prior to arrival" was fried rice or stir-fried beef egg noodles (I think this is the Chinese takeaway box you've described)

I admit the quality of the main plates was a bit of a letdown but on the other hand so is CX J most of the time ex-HKG and BA CW ex-EZE
Old Aug 26, 2016, 1:29 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by ginger50
I am taking this flight in a few weeks - thanks for the warning, I will have a big breakfast before leaving town.
The problem is that you eat a lot in the lounge, then the more substantial meal is served soon after take off and then 6 hours later when you're hungry you get a small snack. If they had dine on demand it would work out better.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 5:08 am

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Originally Posted by ginger50
Do one better... Fly CX?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.