Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

QF1 at Dubai, time to clear security, possible ‘missed connection’ situation question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QF1 at Dubai, time to clear security, possible ‘missed connection’ situation question

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2016, 11:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas FF Bronze

I am so glad to have found flyertalk. This is my first post, & I apologize if I have missed a similar topic which covers my questions.

In mid March next year I fly from Christchurch to Sydney on QF138 and then on to LHR on QF1. The connection in Sydney should be absolutely fine - I have about seven hours to wander around the transit area at Sydney. This suits me fine, as I am one of those people who like getting to the airport with hours and hours to spare!

However, I am a little bit concerned about the ‘stop-over’ in Dubai for re-fueling and cabin cleaning etc. I have watched a few You tube videos which cover disembarkation from the plane and walking to security. My concern is what will happen if getting through security at Dubai takes a very long time & I finish up missing the ‘cut-off’ time for re-boarding QF1.

Obviously Dubai would be a security delay I have little or no control over, unlike the security check at Christchurch which can be dealt with by arriving absurdly early at the airport as I always do!

To my mind this security type of delay is a delay which neither Qantas or I have any control over.
A big ATC delay, weather delay, air-bridge failure, aircraft pushing tractor, ground equipment, are also delays that Qantas and I would have no control over but could cause a missed connection to another aircraft. So I am hoping that the Qantas/Emirates staff would use discretion (if possible) and treat it similarly.

I do have NZ SCTI travel insurance which might cover me as this type of QF1 Dubai security delay could be called an unexpected event over which I had no control.

I will be flying in economy on the saver fare which cost $2220 NZ.
.................................................. .................................................. ..................................................

To make it simpler I will list my specific questions re. the above!

1.) If I miss the re-boarding cut-off time I imagine I would be directed to the Emirates/Qantas transfer desk. Would they just re-book me on the first Qantas or Emirates flight with seats to LHR?

2.) Would I be charged a $200? Australian change fee as Qantas might say that the security delay is not their fault either. (If it is a discretionary type situation being a nice and reasonable customer would obviously help my possible predicament.)

3.) I will be flying into Dubai on QF1 on Monday 20 March, any estimate of the likely time to get through security?

4.) Is a security delay of *this* type likely to be covered by travel insurance?

5.) I like to travel light but would having a checked bag on QF1 encourage the ground staff to come and look for me at security so as not having to off-load my bag?

If you are able to answer any of my questions or you have any comment I would be most grateful. Many thanks.

Last edited by mike777; Aug 22, 2016 at 11:17 pm Reason: I missed question 5
Old Aug 22, 2016, 11:33 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold
You are waaaaaaay over analysing this.

You will be fine. You are departing on the same plane you arrive on. So if you are delayed at security so will everyone else be. They won't leave with 200 people stuck at security.

Thousands of people a day connect through Dubai and it is a non issue.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 11:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travelislife

You will be fine. You are departing on the same plane you arrive on. So if you are delayed at security so will everyone else be. They won't leave with 200 people stuck at security.

Many thanks! Yes, I am over analysing this, it's a bad habit!
Old Aug 23, 2016, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And hundreds a day on just QF1 & QF9. And the same going back to Australia QF2 & QF10.
Just be aware of where the gate is to get back on the aircraft

Edit.
I see in your profile progams you have n/a
Here on FT flying and not getting freq flyer miles is a crime
Old Aug 23, 2016, 12:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
And hundreds a day on just QF1 & QF9. And the same going back to Australia QF2 & QF10.
Just be aware of where the gate is to get back on the aircraft
Thanks Mwenenzi, sounds like it should be the least stressful of any type of 'connection'.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 1:24 am
Original Poster

Here on FT flying and not getting freq flyer miles is a crime [/QUOTE]

Thanks! Yes, I will have to do something about that. Free Bronze membership would be worth having seeing I am doing a long round trip. As you've probably guessed I am more of a two or three times a year flyer - unfortunately!
Old Aug 23, 2016, 2:00 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by mike777
Here on FT flying and not getting freq flyer miles is a crime
Thanks! Yes, I will have to do something about that. Free Bronze membership would be worth having seeing I am doing a long round trip[/QUOTE]

Firstly, welcome to this friendly FT forum. Secondly, without a program you are guaranteed to get nothing. With a program (I'd suggest QF), you are guaranteed to get enough points to redeem for "something". May not be much, but it's a great way for QF to get their claws into you to the extent that it'll be hard to get away. But with planning, that can be to your advantage ...
Old Aug 23, 2016, 2:01 am

Originally Posted by mike777
Thanks! Yes, I will have to do something about that. Free Bronze membership would be worth having seeing I am doing a long round trip. As you've probably guessed I am more of a two or three times a year flyer - unfortunately!
QF Frequent Flyer membership is free until the end of the year (normally NZD50 to join), why not sign up prior to your flights and start earning?
Old Aug 23, 2016, 2:27 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some

This.

In my experience QF normally gets gate very close to transfer security, which also helps speed things up.

Further, the schedule has considerable padding, in part to cater for congestion at DXB (and at LHR).
Old Aug 23, 2016, 2:35 am
Original Poster

Thanks guys for the suggestions about joining Qantas Frequent Flyer. I'll be doing this very soon. It's good to hear that QF normally gets a gate close to security.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 3:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eminere
QF Frequent Flyer membership is free until the end of the year (normally NZD50 to join), why not sign up prior to your flights and start earning?
Thanks for tip I have just joined & got the confirmation page to print out
Old Aug 23, 2016, 3:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
This.

In my experience QF normally gets gate very close to transfer security, which also helps speed things up.

Further, the schedule has considerable padding, in part to cater for congestion at DXB (and at LHR).
Awesome! Sounds like I can start worrying about something else now...
Old Aug 23, 2016, 3:30 am

Programs: QF QP
There is plenty of time for the transit in DXB, QF1/2 or 9/10. I always manage a shower as well. Don't forget that you luggage is in the aircraft, so QF will make sure that there is no problems for transit passengers.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 3:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Airvan00
There is plenty of time for the transit in DXB, QF1/2 or 9/10. I always manage a shower as well. Don't forget that you luggage is in the aircraft, so QF will make sure that there is no problems for transit passengers.
Thankyou, I think I will be taking some type of checked bag.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 8:06 am

Programs: Qantas Gold FF
You'll have plenty of time. Security doesn't take long and I'm sure their main objective is to get you out shopping as quickly as possible!

There are public showers on the departure concourse, near the toilets. I would highly recommend getting one if you can as it will make you feel slightly more human on arrival at Heathrow! Note that there are no towels provided so bring a travel towel! If there is a long queue walk a little further down the concourse and you may find a shower with no queue!

Also worth noting is that you will likely be screened AGAIN when you go back to the gate and any liquids you've bought in the airport likely confiscated, so don't buy a huge drink!

There are toilets and drinking fountains in the gate area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.