Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Redeeming QF Points online on Partner Airlines (esp. JAL) • Any advice appreciated

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Redeeming QF Points online on Partner Airlines (esp. JAL) • Any advice appreciated

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2016, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Firstly, many thanks for taking the trouble to read this!

I just wondered if anyone else has run into similar issues? I am trying to book 2 x F seats, SYD - NRT, on JAL at just under 330 days out on a specific date in 2017 using my Qantas points. My ducks did seem to be in a row inasmuch as:

1. I have sufficent QF points for these 2 x F seats
2. Availability is showing on JAL's website
3. Similar availability is showing on BA.com
4. ExpertFlyer.com also confirms similar availability

So... I subsequently logged into my Qantas FF account, then headed for the "Classic Flight Reward" area (for QF Partners), entered in the relevant criteria (date, SYD, NRT, etc.) and then, when the calendar subsequently appears, there is absolutely no sign of these F seats. Unless I am mistaken -- and I may very well be: I am by no means an expert when it comes to airmiles -- I was under the impression that, if award space is showing on other O.W. carrier websites, then it should be duplicated on Qantas' site? (I should also add that the BA.com space was not "phantom" space -- BA.com would absolutely have allowed me to book these seats.)

I just wondered whether anyone else had experienced anything similar when using Qantas' website in order to redeem on partner airlines, especially regarding JAL?

I also wondered if, in calling Qantas directly instead of just relying on their website, I might have more luck? (I did also think about using my AAdvantage miles to book these F seats -- mainly as I would be able to "hold" these F award seats for up to 5 days before actually paying over my miles -- but at the moment AA miles are more valuable to me simply as they are harder for me to earn.)

Anyway, any advice at all would be very much welcomed. And again, many thanks for reading this!
I002900 likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 12:08 pm

Programs: QF Plat, BA GGL, VA Silver, SQ Gold, IHG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
JL availability doesn't show on QF's site. You need to call and you can ask for the booking fee to be waived.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by madrooster
JL availability doesn't show on QF's site. You need to call and you can ask for the booking fee to be waived.
Madrooster, thanks a million for this. I was perfectly oblivious (although, as it's the same on AA.com re JL, a schoolboy error this end, ha).

Thank you, too, re the information about asking to have the booking fee waived when calling -- I genuinely appreciate that. Many thanks again!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.