Wiki Posts
Search

Malaysia to Qantas transfers Changi

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2016, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QFF
Malaysia to Qantas transfers Changi

Does anyone have recent experience transferring from malaysian to Qantas? We have a upcoming flight with Malaysian (operated by SilkAir) from Langkawi (malaysia) to Changi (Singapore), with a short time between the checkin for our Qantas flight to Sydney (1.35hrs).

Malaysian assure me that bags will be checked through, and all we need to do is collect boarding passes from Qantas, with no need to clear customs etc etc. But as the flight is operated by a secondary carrier, and there are new rules on bag carriage with different PNRs we are thinking of changing flights.

Does anyone have experience - particularly of SilkAir and connections in Singapore with them?

thanks
Michael
Old Aug 17, 2016, 8:28 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
I recently flew LGK-KUL-MEL on MH/EK separate tickets and baggage was interlined with no problems. Personally I avoided Silkair via SIN but your choice. MH codeshare seems fraught with peril on separate tickets.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 1:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you are booked on separate tickets, I would say that 90 minutes connection is a big risk. It does not take too much to miss the flight and end up having to pay change/no show fees or buy a new ticket for Sydney

There is no entitlement to through baggage checking, so if the Silkair check in choose not to do so, there is no comeback

I would change to an earlier flight
Old Aug 18, 2016, 1:12 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Assuming your incoming is not delayed, you won't have problems connecting in Singapore, even if MI do not interline you through at LGK

Note T2-T1 transfer though...
Old Aug 18, 2016, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by sydneymike
Does anyone have recent experience transferring from malaysian to Qantas? We have a upcoming flight with Malaysian (operated by SilkAir) from Langkawi (malaysia) to Changi (Singapore), with a short time between the checkin for our Qantas flight to Sydney (1.35hrs).

Malaysian assure me that bags will be checked through, and all we need to do is collect boarding passes from Qantas, with no need to clear customs etc etc. But as the flight is operated by a secondary carrier, and there are new rules on bag carriage with different PNRs we are thinking of changing flights.

Does anyone have experience - particularly of SilkAir and connections in Singapore with them?

thanks
Michael
Once you're in SIN, don't go through customs, go to transfer C straightaway to pick up your boarding pass. Keep the baggage receipts handy as the transfer counter will do the manual retagging onto the QF flight for you. Thats if the bag is not interlined through to the final destination.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

thanks for the advice guys... we went with safety and rebooked an earlier flight through KL... i guess we get more time shopping and the lounge.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

the result... for others info

So the result of our early plans was a 1hr delay for MA in langkawi, bumped to another flight in KL, arrival after probably the most scary flight of my life (I am P1 and fly a lot!) ... only 3 hours until the QF6 flight (which was awesome). and finally one of our two bags came on the later MA123 flight which we had to wait for, and the second was delivered the next day...

end story - NEVER fly Malaysian!
Old Sep 7, 2016, 8:06 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
So the result of our early plans was a 1hr delay for MA in langkawi, bumped to another flight in KL, arrival after probably the most scary flight of my life (I am P1 and fly a lot!) ... only 3 hours until the QF6 flight (which was awesome). and finally one of our two bags came on the later MA123 flight which we had to wait for, and the second was delivered the next day...

Hi sydneymike,

Thanks for the update.

So MH checked (and delivered) your bags to SYD regardless - otherwise they'd be delivering them only as far as SIN??

Regards,

BD
Old Sep 8, 2016, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Note that at Changi T1/T2/T3, even if your bags are not checked through, when you go to the transfer desk you give them the original luggage tags and they will arrange for your luggage to be collected, retagged and put onto your outbound flight - even on separate tickets.

There is no need to go landside.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 1:01 am

Programs: QF Gold, WY Gold
As a P1 you seem to have a had a sheltered life in terms of flying. Malaysian aren't amazing, but this kind of stuff happens with any airline. I've had many absolutely fine MH/QF flights, and just MH flights.
A bag going missing happens once in a while. Nothing to stress about.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!

I wont ever fly Malaysian. I will fly Malaysia Airlines though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.