Search

Qantas Carry-on allowance

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2016, 10:49 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool Qantas Carry-on allowance

I'm scheduled to fly SFO-SYD-AKL on Qantas, and am trying to figure out exactly what the carry on allowance is.

http://www.qantas.com/travel/airline...age-allowances

I usually carry on a rollaboard suitcase that fits the dimensions listed, but I also carry my laptop/iPad/cables in a backpack that fits under the seat. How strict are Qantas regarding the size of the laptop backpack on international flights?

I've seen this caveat on the page noted above:

In addition to your carry-on baggage allowance, you may also carry on board one small personal item such as a handbag, laptop computer*, overcoat, small camera, a reasonable amount of reading material or a small amount of duty free goods (where permitted).

* For a laptop computer to be considered a personal item it must be carried in a slim bag. Laptops carried in large laptop bags will be counted as part of your carry-on baggage allowance
Would a reasonably small computer backpack be considered OK in terms of being a "handbag"?

I may end up checking my rollaboard, but hate to wait for luggage and potentially not have clothing available.

Thanks everyone.

Doc

Last edited by Doc Savage; Jul 17, 2016 at 11:23 am
Old Jul 17, 2016, 3:27 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
I have never had my carry in bags checked by QF (international and domestic). I drag a regulation dimensioned wheelie bag and commonly have a small back pack that also fits the size dimensions. The small backpack has computer, raincoat, basic spare clothes, book etc. The wheelie bag is 7 kg or slightly over, the backpack is usually 4 to 7 kg. But the important thing is that they don't look heavy and I make no impression that they are heavy when near staff. Check in staff will happily check anything they can get their hands on even if the passenger asks "is this OK for the cabin" - if you know what I mean....
Old Jul 17, 2016, 4:48 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Cool

Originally Posted by og
I have never had my carry in bags checked by QF (international and domestic). I drag a regulation dimensioned wheelie bag and commonly have a small back pack that also fits the size dimensions. The small backpack has computer, raincoat, basic spare clothes, book etc. The wheelie bag is 7 kg or slightly over, the backpack is usually 4 to 7 kg. But the important thing is that they don't look heavy and I make no impression that they are heavy when near staff. Check in staff will happily check anything they can get their hands on even if the passenger asks "is this OK for the cabin" - if you know what I mean....
Thanks.

I, too, often find it wise to avoid "helpful" staff. Hopefully the American staff at SFO will be used to seeing American type carryon.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fly UA MM 1K, Sleep Hyatt & IHG, Hertzer. 2022 Flyertalk Fantasy Football Champion
I just experienced this a few days ago flying SFO-SYD, it was a bit shocking. I have a small regulation carry-on bag and a laptop backpack. I made the mistake of approaching the counter to ask an unrelated question, and she made me weigh the carry-on. It was 11kg/24lbs and she said the limit is 7kg/15lbs. However, two agents said there was no limit to my backpack weight, and that I could transfer 4kg+ to that.

I just checked the bag, but what made no sense to me is that there was no sensitivity to total weight. In fact, there was a guy bragging about having over 20kg in his giant backpack, still baffled by their rules.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 4:47 am

Programs: QF Silver
The only thing I've found them fussy about is telling you to put your second, personal, item under the seat in front rather than in the overheads. I haven't seen this in international but last year they started putting horrible tags on the personal items which said they were to go under the seat. Everyone was just ripping them off on the jet bridge though.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 2:36 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I ended up checking a moderately large suitcase since this was a long winter trip. I had my usual laptop bag, never weighed, and on the way back a smaller hiking daypack, and no questions or problems putting both in the overhead.

Great hard product (747, A320) with great service, and very palatable food. A nice experience.

Last edited by Doc Savage; Aug 8, 2016 at 2:42 pm
Old Aug 8, 2016, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Great hard product (747, A320) with great service, and very palatable food. A nice experience.
A320 on Qantas? Sure it wasn't a 738 ... or were you on a Jetstar codeshare (QF*JQ)?

Last edited by serfty; Aug 8, 2016 at 4:23 pm
Old Aug 8, 2016, 4:29 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

May have been "operated by Jetstar" trans-Tasman.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Originally Posted by TravelManKen
I just experienced this a few days ago flying SFO-SYD, it was a bit shocking. I have a small regulation carry-on bag and a laptop backpack. I made the mistake of approaching the counter to ask an unrelated question, and she made me weigh the carry-on. It was 11kg/24lbs and she said the limit is 7kg/15lbs. However, two agents said there was no limit to my backpack weight, and that I could transfer 4kg+ to that.

I just checked the bag, but what made no sense to me is that there was no sensitivity to total weight. In fact, there was a guy bragging about having over 20kg in his giant backpack, still baffled by their rules.
I just got a similar sort of treatment. My carry-on that is actually one of the lightest ones ever made and is so well designed that it fits even into the overhead bins of most small regional jets in spite of being just under all of the US limits on overall dimensions. Agent forced me to weigh it and check it in. Did not ask about my backpack. It was the first time in so many hundreds of flights I have been forced to check it (although on regional jets gate agents never believe it will fit on board in the overhead bins - but it almost always does)

Am I likely to get similar treatment today with my luggage traveling Sydney to the US? Do I really have to get it under 7 kilos?? That's a really severe limit.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 3:50 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by GrizShel
Am I likely to get similar treatment today with my luggage traveling Sydney to the US? Do I really have to get it under 7 kilos?? That's a really severe limit.
You really have to assume that you will have to check your bigger (>7kg) bag. Yes, it's a severe criteria, but (on QF) you are not paying for this. I expect to check the heavier bag and pack essentials accordingly.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do I really have to get it under 7 kilos?? That's a really severe limit.
But 7 or 8 kg is very common
http://wikitravel.org/en/Airline_baggage Not authoritive
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_luggage
https://bags.amadeus.com/Default.aspx
https://www.skyscanner.net/news/cabi...t-restrictions

FT threads
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...rry-sizes.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgi...-policies.html

On QF domestic mainline you are allowed 2 x 7kg carry-on.

We get this carry-on weight question frequently. What is common practise with USA airlines is not common practise with non USA airlines. With both USA & non USA airlines there can be a difference between the official rules and what happens.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Oct 17, 2016 at 4:43 pm Reason: more links
Old Oct 17, 2016, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
But 7 or 8 kg is very common
http://wikitravel.org/en/Airline_baggage Not authoritive
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...rry-sizes.html FT thread

On QF domestic you are allowed 2 x 7kg carry-on.

We get this carry-on weight question frequently. What is common practise with USA airlines is not common practise with non USA airlines. With both USA & non USA airlines there can be a difference between the official rules and what happens.
Yeah I've seen tight limits on some other airlines, but never saw it enforced to this level before, guess I've been lucky. It is extremely hard to get everything you need with you for a stopover or irrop in a 4 kilo limit! (7 - 3 kilo weight of the bag) How do you do it?

Basically one has to keep the bag 80 to 90% empty, it seems.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 7:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Yeah I've seen tight limits on some other airlines, but never saw it enforced to this level before, guess I've been lucky. It is extremely hard to get everything you need with you for a stopover or irrop in a 4 kilo limit! (7 - 3 kilo weight of the bag) How do you do it?

Basically one has to keep the bag 80 to 90% empty, it seems.
Use a lighter bag or just wait the 10 minutes or so for baggage reclaim

Restricting carry on bags helps to avoid the ridiculous state in the US where there can be not enough space for everyone's carry on
Old Oct 17, 2016, 9:41 pm

Programs: Qantas, Hilton, IHG
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Use a lighter bag or just wait the 10 minutes or so for baggage reclaim

Restricting carry on bags helps to avoid the ridiculous state in the US where there can be not enough space for everyone's carry on
Yes I agree- when they restrict the size/quantity of carry-on bag(s).

But restricting the weight when it's one piece and within allowed dimensions? The weight alone isn't going to take up any extra space.

And the weight doesn't change safety - as shown in studies. As long as the pax can place the bag into and remove it from the locker. Small objects actually cause more pax injuries!

I can understand where there is a financial element to the airline - like on many LCCs. But when the free check-in allowance is not used and the carry-on is within size limitations? Being fussy over a few kg more (that's even allowed on many airlines) doesn't seem to make too much sense to me.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 1:11 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by Austman
And the weight doesn't change safety - as shown in studies. As long as the pax can place the bag into and remove it from the locker. Small objects actually cause more pax injuries!
Can you kindly provide at least one reference to studies you refer to? No Wikipedia please...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.