Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

AUK check in hours- early departure [AKL]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2016, 2:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, DL Silver, UA Gold, *A Gold, OW Emerald

On July 21, 2016, I have a 6 a.m., departure out of AUK on Qantas Connect to SYD where I will transfer to Qantas to SFO. I am spending the night at a Holiday Inn near the AUK airport. Their shuttle does not operate between 2 a.m., and 4 a.m. Will the 4 a.m. shuttle be adequate? Or should I hire a taxi and go earlier? I don't want to show up at 4 a.m., and find the check in counter not yet staffed.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 2:20 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by Orion
On July 21, 2016, I have a 6 a.m., departure out of AUK on Qantas Connect to SYD where I will transfer to Qantas to SFO. I am spending the night at a Holiday Inn near the AUK airport. Their shuttle does not operate between 2 a.m., and 4 a.m. Will the 4 a.m. shuttle be adequate? Or should I hire a taxi and go earlier? I don't want to show up at 4 a.m., and find the check in counter not yet staffed.
AUK-SYD-SFO is quite a detour: http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=auk-syd-sfo

At AKL the checkin desks open at 3:30am: http://www.qantas.com/travel/airline.../en#departures

http://www.qantas.com/travel/airline...check-in-times
Old Jul 14, 2016, 3:04 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
I usually stay at the Holiday Inn or Sudima too and take the Yellow Bus. 4am is 1st bus run so you might consider the Novotel which is next to the International Terminal.
http://www.accorhotels.com/gb/hotel-...location.shtml
Old Jul 14, 2016, 7:00 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Departure security and immigration often open at 4:30 am, which is quite frustrating if you have checked in filled in the form and just want to get to the lounge.....
Old Jul 14, 2016, 10:14 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by Blackcloud
Departure security and immigration often open at 4:30 am, which is quite frustrating if you have checked in filled in the form and just want to get to the lounge.....
Correct.. That's the important time. Must have been about 100 people waiting around for it to open last time I went through.

Was about 5th through and straight to the QF lounge
Old Jul 15, 2016, 12:33 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by moa999
Correct.. That's the important time. Must have been about 100 people waiting around for it to open last time I went through.

Was about 5th through and straight to the QF lounge
Still much better than MUC for example where with similar time line the LH lounges only open at 0500. So after waiting for security to open you can then enjoy waiting for the lounge to open.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 6:32 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
The 4am bus is fine, as long as you don't miss that bus (frequency is poor). Be aware there will be lots of people trying to check out just before 4am all trying to make that bus, so don't cut it too late heading for the lobby.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 5:25 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Final check in is 60 min prior so plenty of time if you take the 4am for a 6am departure although I like to aim for 15-30min prior at latest. The QF lounge isn't something I would strive to arrive early for either. Take a taxi or uber if you miss the 4am bus for whatever reason.

Novotel is a bit pricey but literally roll out of bed and you're there. Jet park hotel provides a shuttle no matter what time your flight.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 7:32 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
The QF lounge isn't something I would strive to arrive early for either. Take a taxi or uber if you miss the 4am bus for whatever reason.
I'd only consider the AKL QF lounge(s) as a place to occupy time and space prior to a flight - and somewhere to get a feed and drink. Nothing else.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by og
I'd only consider the AKL QF lounge(s) as a place to occupy time and space prior to a flight - and somewhere to get a feed and drink. Nothing else.
I'm wondering when they're going to announce a date for renovations. Maybe after BNE?
Old Jul 16, 2016, 7:25 pm

Programs: QF Gold, VA Red, SQ, HH Silver, Marriott Gold.
Was announced in November 2015 that the Auckland QF business and first lounges would be renovated and combined into one lounge similar to other lounges such as Singapore.
No date was given for commencement, but hopefully in 2016.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 4:07 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by rick253
Was announced in November 2015 that the Auckland QF business and first lounges would be renovated and combined into one lounge similar to other lounges such as Singapore.
No date was given for commencement, but hopefully in 2016.
Well the space that the NZ lounge used to be in is now empty, next door to the current QF lounge. You would think they would use this space, plus part of the current lounge to build an new lounge. Or even better merge the EK,QF and old NZ space into an single lounge.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 5:02 am

Programs: QF WP; HHonours
6:20 am departure akl

Travelling with hand luggage only, travelling business, would 5am be sufficient time for check in, security, etc. TIA.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by parsonstrish
Travelling with hand luggage only, travelling business, would 5am be sufficient time for check in, security, etc. TIA.
Yep!
Old Jul 23, 2016, 6:16 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by parsonstrish
If you you check-in online you can skip check-in an head straight upstairs to customs/security then to the Lounge.

If your on an NZ/AU/CA/US/UK passport - you can also use the Smart-Gates for your departure to jump the lines at Customs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.